Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Down a Dream: Week of 8/22 - 8/28

To disable ads, please log-in.

I started my "Get a Fast 10K" plan today. That's my name for it. It's phase 1 of my Ironman plan. I was actually supposed to start tomorrow. But tomorrow is the first day of school, we're scheduled to have a mini heat wave of temps up around 100; (we've been incredibly cool all summer with highs in the low 80s) and Thom's working from home. Those things together spelled - there's no run in your future tomorrow afternoon. I have a trainer session in the morning.

Today was just a three mile run. I took it pretty easy. I can tell I have done very little running recently since the muscles on the front of shins got really tight during miles 1 and 2. They did loosen up some for mile 3.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I started my "Get a Fast 10K" plan today.
    I need that plan!

I managed another 8 miler in the heat. Negative splits for the most part. I didn't worry too much about my pace. My training schedule has me doing long runs on Sunday followed by medium length runs on Monday. Tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 5 miles.

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    OK, I am Moving On, proceeding as though I am starting to train for...something.

Well, I am signed up for an event in September (11th), with my goal being to just finish. For a while I wasn't sure I'd even be able to make the cutoffs, but I now think it's doable (for me, that is). I doubt there will be much running as it's at altitude, as in altitude that I can't train at here (where I regularly train at 8000-10000').

I did an accidental 11 mi hike/run on Friday (I missed a turn on the trail) and then my planned 12 mi on Saturday. That's the most I've done back to back in well over a year, and both days had a lot of ascending (and descending)! I actually feel pretty good, though my glutes are quite sore. Today was a much needed rest day.

One more big hike/run next weekend and then I start a bit of a 2 week taper (mostly because I will be traveling). I will try to run 3x during the week this week and then on Sat or Sun.

Got in my 4 miles of running this morning. It felt pretty good despite the 4:30 AM wake-up call.

Today was supposed to be an easy 5 miles, but it turned into 6. It was such a beautiful morning, I kept on going! Seems I'm taking the training plan as suggestions, not mandates...

School's been in session for 1.5 weeks now, and so far I've seen 2 kids smoking cigarettes at a bus stop, smelled marijuana once, and today saw a pregnant girl. Oh well, at least they've all been in high school, and they're going... What's most depressing is the middle school bus stop by the trailer park where almost all of the dozen or so kids look to be seriously overweight...

It's a beautiful day - I did 9 x 1 minute intervals after my aerobics class.

Thinking I might increase the number of intervals next time (both on these and on the mile repeats). How do you decide when you're ready to do that?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by skhill View Post
    What's most depressing is the middle school bus stop by the trailer park where almost all of the dozen or so kids look to be seriously overweight...
    That makes me so sad. I was an obese child and it was a horrible experience. I'm trying to teach my kids healthy food habits. It makes me feel really great when I put a pile of broccoli and cauliflower (no cheese or veggie dip added) in front of DD and she says "mmmm, all yummy foods!"

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's a beautiful day - I did 9 x 1 minute intervals after my aerobics class.

Thinking I might increase the number of intervals next time (both on these and on the mile repeats). How do you decide when you're ready to do that?
    Aside from the ol' "do them until you think you can't do anymore, then do 1 more", I either increase the quantity or speed so that I'm tired by the end. I'm not really sure how you know, honestly. I'm about to shift gears back into running (minus the whole cycling trip in October) so I might be finding out soon

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    Finally a good run today! It was about 58 degrees with drizzle and I ran around town, going down random side streets with a general idea of the direction they would take me but not knowing for sure what I would encounter. I stayed out for about an hour, running almost the whole time (did have a couple of short walk breaks after tough hills and also had the occasional brief stop to get my bearings). Felt a little muscle fatigue setting in by the end but still was able to kick it up for the last quarter mile. Much better than I've been doing lately---not sure if it was due to the much cooler weather, the mental stimulation of some new territory, or the cup of green tea I drank shortly before heading out. Not sure what my mileage or speed was, but it did feel good. Now it's time to do push-ups!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

There's a hint of fall in the air at last! It was 60 this morning when I headed out the door. Today was a tempo run: supposed to be a 1 mile warm up, 4 miles at 9:04/mile, then 1 mile cool down. But the 4 fast miles were a lot faster than that. The first was 8:28, then I tried to slow down and the 2nd was 8:25, slowed down again and went 8:19, slowed way down and ended up with an 8:14. Seriously. I kept trying to go slower and ended up going faster... Maybe when I try to slow down I relax a little, and that makes me go faster?

Since it's still pouring here, I experimented with the treadmill again (see the should I start running thread). I added in another running interval, same slow, pathetic speed of 5.6, but i increased the time of 3 out of the 4 intervals to 1:30 or 2:00. The rest was walking at 4.0, with inclines between 3 and 5%. I can't stand more than 30 minutes total on the TM, though. No hip/back pain so far.
    I guess the key is to start (again) very, very slowly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Upset with my schedules right now...

Well I have tried 3X this week to get up at 5 am then go run. I have had two experiences of my upstairs neighbors waking me up at about 3:30 one morning and 4 another morning Then when my alarm goes off I am dead to the world. So freakin' frustrating! So help me God I am at least gonna get a commute in tomorrow! This is my first week of professional school and I am struggling with getting my exercise routing worked in with my academic schedule which is pretty rigorous. For some reason I've been timid about riding and running in the new city. I feel like such a putz but I can't deny I'm still not in my comfort zone yet. It's been a crazy last 4 weeks. I moved halfway across the US, uprooted my entire life, but I have to get my running schedule back before my nerves go on overload! If any of you have any 'confidence' building techniques for me, feel free to share.

My "Get A Fast 10K" plan is on hold since my oh so cute new shoes give me horrendous blisters the first day of school. Even after I wore them around the house a few times. I guess walking up and down my hallway does not compare to the many miles I walk at school every day.

Oh and it's 103 degrees at my house right now. It was 78 at 4:45 this morning when I went to meet my trainer.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm having issues.

I went for a run yesterday. I had plans for an easy 3.5-4 miles in my huaraches. It was much hotter than I like (95F) but I figured out a mostly shaded route. I was about 1.5 miles into it and I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I'm still having blister problems on my feet. This time, new location - right on the upper pad of my foot between my big toe and the first two on BOTH feet. I walk/jogged back to my car and drove home. Only 2,8miles and I am hobbling today.

I don't get it. When the hell are the soles of my feet supposed to toughen up? My leg and feet muscles are in GREAT shape. My heart and lungs could use a serious challenge. I'm being held back by skin, for pete's sake.

Frustration.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Girls do you think it's possible to do a half marathon with 11 weeks of training? I'm in good cardio shape from cycling but haven't been running over the hot summer months.