Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Joined the clipless club

To disable ads, please log-in.

Finally got all my ducks in a row and found something today that works.
    I've been working for months on going clipless, but finding shoes was a problem - finally went with Sidi cause they make a Mega width in men's size. Then, I ordered Candy C's, but not only had a hard time getting into them at the shop on the trainer - I discovered that with my wide hips, I had been riding the outside of my regular pedals unconsciously. Which meant when I was clipped in, my calf started scraping the derailleur on the downstroke.

So then the shop owner wanted to order knee-savers ( spacers) to move my feet/calves out a bit, but the manufacturer had stopped making them. Then he found an alternate maufacturer, but they needed a pedal wrench and the Candy's needed an Allen wrench, so they were incompatible.

Today the knee savers arrived at the shop, I tried the 25mm and the 20mm, and found the 20 to feel the best - then we attached Atac pedals. The Atacs were SOooo much easier for me to get clipped into than the Candy's. It felt like butter.

So I practiced on the trainer in the shop and then they set me loose. I made it 12 miles back home from the shop with no mishaps. I clipped in and out about 4 times on the way, with no tip-overs. ( so far at least).

I'm really happy with them so far -- now I just have to see if Performance Bike will take back the Candy's. If not --- hey anybody need a set of gray Candy C's?

doctorfrau - good for you. Happy clipless riding.

YAY good for you! congratulations on taking the big step.

Doctorfrau - I'm anxious to hear how you like clipless. I got my clipless pedals yesterday, too. I went with Speedplay Frogs and Specialized Motodiva shoes. So far so good. I tried them in the trainer at the bike shop, then rode around the parking lot a few times and rode home on lightly travelled neighborhood streets. Went for a 30-mile ride today. It sometimes takes a few tries to clip in but once that's done, it's easy to get down to business with good push AND pull on the pedals. Haven't had to clip out quickly yet. That will probably be my final frontier - it's certainly my biggest fear!

Glad to hear you got the fitting issues cleared up. Here's hoping we can both stay upright now - or at least land in some soft grass!

Deb

Deb, I use frogs on my road bike and LOVE them! years ago when I used to ride alot I tried all sorts of SPD pedals, both road and MTB, and look road pedals and I could never get the hang of any of them. I ended up going back to toeclips for a while then went to frogs and fell in love. I stopped biking for various reasons shortly after putting the frogs on and didn't use them for 5 years. When I started back up this summer I was a little worried that I would have to learn how to use them all over again and it was like...well, riding a bike No problems at all. I am almost considering speedplay road pedals but I love being able to walk in my MTB shoes so much that I doubt I will ever switch.

OK, I'm convinced to go with Frogs. Gotta love the name alone. Now I'm still puzzling over shoes. They seem really hard to fit my wide square feet. Does anyone use the Specialized Riata? They seem the right combo of sturdy, good price, and comfortable.

I'm so appreciate of this forum to check out opinions and preferences.

Carole

carole, I don't have any suggestions for shoes. I have really wide feet to and I use a men's low end shimano shoe. I wouldn't recommend them though unless you just can't find anything else to fit. I'm on the lookout for some better shoes so please let me know how you like the specialized.

Mendy

I use the low-end Mens Specialized Mountain shoes and the mid-range mens Specialized Road Shoes and I love them both. I got the mountain shoes for my commutes since I have to stop more and be able to walk in them. I'm thinking next summer I may go up in price on the road shoe and I would consider looking at the Sidis in addition the Nikes and Specialized.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Pride Goeth Before the Fall

Well, I was out riding late this afternoon/evening and was all proud of myself that I had gone nearly 60 miles so far this week without a mishap with the pedals.....

We all KNEW it was coming didn't we?

So I'm coming up to the next-to-last intersection on my way back, unclipped in prep to stop, stepped down..... and a milisecond later I was lying on the ground on the "opposite"(still clipped) side. So I laughed at myself for being a doofus, got back on and proceeded on, while deconstructing the event and trying to figure out how in the heck THAT happened, when I had already stepped down.

Not a half mile later, as I approached the last intersection, there was a car already stopped there. (street intersects the rail-trail - 4 way stop). I slowed down, anticipating that she would proceed on through and then I could just "California stop" and proceed. Well, she saw me coming and hesitated. That meant I had to actually stop. By then I was AT the intersection, tried to unclip....... and had that "Oh sh*t" moment....... TiiiimmmmmBERrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......CRUNCH! It was classic.

So I'm sitting in the cinders, laughing and shaking my head, with BOTH feet still firmly locked in the pedals. The nice lady in the car did roll down her window and ask if I was okay, though.

It took me a good 30 or 40 seconds to figure out how in the world to get unclipped from that position, but I finally got it figured out, and made it the last 400 yards to the car without further mishap.

So - now I've lost my clipless virginity (twice in 5 minutes, even) and have two scraped elbows and a pulled calf muscle to prove it.

Glad I got THAT out of the way...

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrau
    hesitated. That meant I had to actually stop. By then I was AT the intersection, tried to unclip....... and had that "Oh sh*t" moment....... TiiiimmmmmBERrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......CRUNCH! It was classic.
    Welcome to the clipless tipping club. Im reading this and thinking yup know that feeling when you know its gonna happen and you just cant seem to get that foot out. Its like watching something happen in slow motion - you know its coming and there is not a thing you can do about it.

Glad to hear you were not too beaten up.
    Sending smooth clipless riding wishes your way.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

I am right there with you. I was doing fine tonight until I decided to go up onto the sidewalk which required a tight left turn. I unclipped my right foot (Duh?) but leaned to the left and there I went. Luckily, I fell into the grass. I was glad that the neighbors who were out in the yard didn't laugh at me. I just got up and kept pedaling. Hey, that's what being a newbie is all about.