Finally got all my ducks in a row and found something today that works.
I've been working for months on going clipless, but finding shoes was a problem - finally went with Sidi cause they make a Mega width in men's size. Then, I ordered Candy C's, but not only had a hard time getting into them at the shop on the trainer - I discovered that with my wide hips, I had been riding the outside of my regular pedals unconsciously. Which meant when I was clipped in, my calf started scraping the derailleur on the downstroke.

So then the shop owner wanted to order knee-savers ( spacers) to move my feet/calves out a bit, but the manufacturer had stopped making them. Then he found an alternate maufacturer, but they needed a pedal wrench and the Candy's needed an Allen wrench, so they were incompatible.

Today the knee savers arrived at the shop, I tried the 25mm and the 20mm, and found the 20 to feel the best - then we attached Atac pedals. The Atacs were SOooo much easier for me to get clipped into than the Candy's. It felt like butter.

So I practiced on the trainer in the shop and then they set me loose. I made it 12 miles back home from the shop with no mishaps. I clipped in and out about 4 times on the way, with no tip-overs. ( so far at least).

I'm really happy with them so far -- now I just have to see if Performance Bike will take back the Candy's. If not --- hey anybody need a set of gray Candy C's?