Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking Went bike shopping this weekend

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I spent most of the week waffling over the road bike vs. hybrid bike debate and after a lot of thinking, I realized that I really do have "a need for speed" even though I'm all timid at first. In fact, I drive fast, skate fast, ski fast, walk fast, heck, I even eat fast! No matter how scared I am in the beginning, within a couple of months, I always end up being a speed freak.

So that being said, I decided to go ahead and go for the road bike, afterall.

I checked out pretty much every bike shop in town, and there's not all that many here despite our 500,000 people population. I really had my heart set on a Trek but one Trek dealer was just flat out useless, no bikes for women at all, and the least helpful salesperson I've ever met in my life. The other Trek dealer in town was nicer, but they too had nothing I could sit on either. However, the Giant dealer was great, great people, very helpful, fit my bike to me (XS), the whole thing. Not to mention, the Giant OCR 1 had Ultegra everything (almost anyway) and was a bit cheaper with nicer components than the Trek WSD 1500. I hear the Giant OCR 1 is heavier a bit than other bikes in its class and the brakes are somewhat crummy as well as the clipless pedals that come with it from the reviews I read. But I figure I can handle that as all else seemed to be great about it.

Anyone have any complaints about their Giant OCR 1?

Also, I can get either a 2004 or a 2005 OCR 1 model as luck would have it for about $950, any preferences? The 2004 has the adjustable stem (which I hear can be creaky) and some other difference, but I can't remember what right off the bat. I do know the 2004 has a white seat and handlebars as opposed to the black seat and handlebars on the 2005. Which is the better bike, anyone know?

Now my next big dilemna is accessories - what the heck do I need anyways?! Here's what I think I need, let me know if there's something I missed and please give me any recommendations you might have. Oh and I'm pretty much a girly girl, the girlier the better. I just loved that purple Orbea someone bought on here with the pretty handlebar tape and the pink tires, Ooooooo - Ahhhhhh - Ohhhhhhh! >*sigh*<

Okay, here's what I think I need:

[INDENT]Helmet - I want to get one that matches my bike (cobalt blue) and that has a ponytail opening possibly (I've got some long thick hair that I need to put somewhere.) Suggestions? [INDENT]

Gloves - Gloves for winter, gloves for summer? Padded gloves, gel gloves? Fingerless gloves? Too many gloves!

Computer - I don't know if this is a need, but I like the way they can count your total mileage on the bike and that sort of thing. I keep hearing Cat's Eye thrown around where computers are involved, and apparently there's wireless and not wireless? How much computer do I need?

Bags - I keep seeing little bags under people's seats, and I saw that Terry bikes sold one for $80 that had some sort of little tool kit in it. Is that what those are for? What's a pannier, anyway? Do I want one of those?

Bike pump - What kind do I need? Do I need one when I'm on the bike or should I use those CO2 bottles instead? If I mount one to the bike is that going to weigh down my bike too much?

Water bottle with cage - I know what these are, do they make any cute/pretty/easy to drink out of ones? Should I get a camelback instead?

Shoes - I've never been clipless before (guess I will be now!), but I never liked being clipped in to be honest, even though it's supposed to be a good thing, makes me all nervous that I won't be able to get my foot outta there. Do shoes need to match up with your pedals or are they independent of each other? What's a good shoe? What's a good pedal for that matter.

Bike shorts - I figure I need at least one pair of padded ones, any good ones out there?

Tires and tubes - How many do I buy, how much do they cost, how often do people get flats, anyway? I never had one on my MTB, is a road bike more prone to flats?

Fun add ons - Bike tape for the handlebars, colored wheels, I feel like I'm making my Barbie Dream Bike here lol. Any other suggestions?

Okay, that's all I could think of....in the meantime, I'm going to see just how many things I can hock in the house in order to pay for all of this! Who needs electricity and food anyways? And don't worry, I've been so excited about riding, I get the feeling I'm not going to remain a partimebiker very long! I can't wait till Monday!

PT Biker - stricken by bike fever at the tender age of 33, will she live till Monday without owning her bike?
    Last edited by PartimeBiker; 09-17-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Hi Partimebiker - you seem to have it pretty well covered. If you have a look at the posts from a couple of days ago you will see one on pumps. I asked whether you needed one as well as CO2. Have a read and see what the girl here recommend.

Happy shopping and riding.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Talking Speed is good!

Quote Originally Posted by PartimeBiker
    And don't worry, I've been so excited about riding, I get the feeling I'm not going to remain a partimebiker very long! I can't wait till Monday!
    LOL. This place will do that to you.

Paniers are those bags that go on a rack over the wheels. Unless you're planning on going touring straight off, you can probably put off deciding whether you need/want them. CamelBaks are great if you don't mind carrying stuff on your back as you ride; you can get little ones that just carry water, big ones for everything but the kitchen sink and pretty much everything in between.

Some of the other stuff like gloves and shorts will really be a matter of trial and error.

Happy shopping!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Quote Originally Posted by PartimeBiker

[INDENT]Helmet - I want to get one that matches my bike (cobalt blue) and that has a ponytail opening possibly (I've got some long thick hair that I need to put somewhere.) Suggestions? [INDENT]

Bags - I keep seeing little bags under people's seats, and I saw that Terry bikes sold one for $80 that had some sort of little tool kit in it. Is that what those are for? What's a pannier, anyway? Do I want one of those?

Bike pump - What kind do I need? Do I need one when I'm on the bike or should I use those CO2 bottles instead? If I mount one to the bike is that going to weigh down my bike too much?

Water bottle with cage - I know what these are, do they make any cute/pretty/easy to drink out of ones? Should I get a camelback instead?

Shoes - I've never been clipless before (guess I will be now!), but I never liked being clipped in to be honest, even though it's supposed to be a good thing, makes me all nervous that I won't be able to get my foot outta there. Do shoes need to match up with your pedals or are they independent of each other? What's a good shoe? What's a good pedal for that matter.

Bike shorts - I figure I need at least one pair of padded ones, any good ones out there?

Tires and tubes - How many do I buy, how much do they cost, how often do people get flats, anyway? I never had one on my MTB, is a road bike more prone to flats?
    Make sure your helmet fits properly and then worry about its color.

For your underseat bag, decide what you want to carry for tools/repairs. Then buy the bag to fit. Do you want to be able to carry a light jacket in your bag? snacks?

For tools you'll want at least enough stuff to be able to repair a flat - tire irons, patch kit, spare tube, CO2 cartridges and dispenser or pump. Tubes are pretty cheap - $4 or so. How many flats you get depends on where you ride and tire pressure. Some places have lots of debris in the road. Even stuff you can't see can give you a flat. Low tire pressure can lead to pinch flats.

Camelback - there are roadies who wear them. Probably 30 -40% of the riders on the ride I volunteered at yesterday had them. I personally don't like to wear one on my road bike.

For water bottles I prefer the type with the screw on lid, rather than the pop top. It has a wider mouth so it's easier to clean, put ice into, and make energy drinks in. I use Polar brand. When filled half full and frozen, they keep your drink cold for hours.

For bike shoes and shorts, I suggest a TE search or just read the threads in apparel. They have been discussed a lot.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

They all meet the same safety standards, but the more they cost, the better the harness system that holds it on your head is. You just have to try a bunch and see what feels the best. Colors change year to year, and on line, you can find plenty of older models, which also cost less.

Gloves - Gloves for winter, gloves for summer? Padded gloves, gel gloves? Fingerless gloves? Too many gloves!

I like gel gloves. Fingerless. My solution for winter is to put polartech mittens on over my gloves.

Computer - I don't know if this is a need, but I like the way they can count your total mileage on the bike and that sort of thing. I keep hearing Cat's Eye thrown around where computers are involved, and apparently there's wireless and not wireless? How much computer do I need?

I think it's a need. Or else how would you know how far you've gone? I have a wireless computer, but that doesn't really matter, it's just easier since I installed it myself, but the bike shop does a great job of hiding wires if you get a wired model. The computer I have shows several things at one time, so I don't have to be constantly flipping through screens. I really like that- it's the first time I've had one like that.

You do need a bag under your seat. Things you would put in it would be a spare tube, patches, a tire lever (Quick Stick is really easy to use) a multi-tool with lots of sizes of Allen wrenches for adjusting the seat, etc. I guess a chain tool (they make very small ones) because even if you don't know how to use it, someone you're with or that passes by probably will. That's for if you break your chain (I don't know how likely that is on a road bike, but pretty likely on a MTB) you can put it back together. Money, car key. I've been saved a couple times after I locked my keys in the car by having a spare in my bike bag.

Panniers are like what you put on a pack mule- for touring. You don't need those unless you do that.

Bike pumps are pretty small. I got the Topeak Road Morph after a ton of research. A lot of people on here like it. You need the pump even if you have the CO2 bottles, because you could use them all up, and you can't use them to just top off your tires. Same thing for tubes/patches- good to carry both because you could go through all your spare tubes, but if you still have patches left, you're saved. Oh, and you can use a dollar bill or a Power Bar wrapper or a piece of Tyvek to patch your tire if you get a slice in it, enough to get you home.

I'd get both. You can get a cute pretty bottle cage that matches/contrasts with your bike. And there are tons of cute/pretty bottles out there- you just have to come across them. I have the Polar bottle, which I just got a few weeks ago, which is supposed to keep stuff so much colder, but even if I freeze it the night before, it still thaws out fast. I'm kind of disappointed in it. They make super-light carbon fiber bottle cages, which are really light, really cool, really expensive- like $35-40. You don't need that, but someday you might just like it because it's cool. Camelbacks are nice because you can carry a _lot_ more water- great if you're riding somewhere and can't refill. They also keep the water really cold for longer if you put ice in. Caution: if you put ice in and water and put it in the freezer overnight, to top off in the morning, the lid will freeze on! You can also carry food in there that you want to keep cool/not melt, as long as you don't care if it gets squished. Also, a good place for cameras, cell phones, etc.

You will love clipless after a few rides. I would never, never go back. And you're on a road bike, you probably won't be crashing so much like people do on MTB's that are just learning. They are _really_ nice for wet conditions when your feet would be sliding all over the place, besides allowing you to use the whole circle of pedal stroke, not just the downstroke. I have Shimano SPD pedals and cleats. The cleats have to match the pedals. Most shoes allow a variety of cleats, but you have to check. SPD lets you clip in on two sides. Eggbeaters let you clip in on four sides. Other types only let you clip in on one side. I like not having to have my pedal right-side-up, but I came from MTBing, which is pretty heavily into SPD's, I think road has a lot of other options.

I have Shimano shoes. They are relatively comfortable ($90) a bit heavy, have been through five years of MTBing and are NEVER going to wear out. MTB shoes have lugs or bumps on the bottoms that make the cleats be recessed, so you can walk around comfortably without clacking or slipping or ruining your cleats. Road shoes are smooth on the bottom and are made for aerodynamic riding, not walking. I would start out with nice, comfortable MTB shoes. The Sidi (expensive but worth it) shoe site suggests allowing an hour for shoe trying-on. Go at the end of the day when your feet are swollen. Try your size on and wear it for 15-20 minutes, then the same with the size above and below.

You're not going to know until you try them. Look for a chamois that doesn't have seams in the middle. Everyone likes different styles...I like the ones that aren't baggy in the butt or look like you're wearing a diaper! I'd get two pair so you always have a clean pair.

I'd get a couple extra tubes. I don't think you need tires until you wear yours out/damage them. Flats will depend on what you're riding on- glass, thorns, etc.

Happy shopping!

Nanci

Water Bottles

Nanci said:

I have the Polar bottle, which I just got a few weeks ago, which is supposed to keep stuff so much colder, but even if I freeze it the night before, it still thaws out fast. I'm kind of disappointed in it.

I'm really surprised. Mine never completely thawed out last week on the metric we did. Maybe the inner liner on yours is cracked or something. How full is it when you freeze it? Summers (90+ degrees here) I fill one completely full then freeze. Maybe I'm having better luck with mine becasuse I use Gatorade in it, not water.

Anyway, there are some other bottles out there to keep your drink cold. Thom uses a Pajaro. I didn't like it because the water just flows out, you don't squeeze it.

We also just got one with a sleeve on it, that you keep wet. But we haven't really used it yet.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'm freezing a combination of Endurox/ice cubes in it, filled to an inch from the top, with the top off. Then it rides an hour in a cooler of ice, then I ride four-six hours in 80-95 heat. So I'm probably not giving it a fair chance. But a couple times, now, after only two-three hours, the Endurox has tasted like warm, sour milk. Yuk.

Nanci

My first road bike, which I got April of last year, was an OCR 3 in size XS. I rode it for a year and then decided to upgrade to a Giant TCR Composite 2 which I just love! For a starter bike I think the OCR 1 would be great. The OCR 3 was real basic and had terrible components but it was good for me to learn everything and figure out if this was something I wanted to stick with.
    "He's really having to dig deeply into the suitcase of courage" Phil Liggett

Smile Hey Everyone!

I really wanted to thank you all for all of the good advice and for chopping my research time to at least half if not more. I'm still researching a few things and am sure I have A LOT more to learn, but you guys have given me so very much help and direction. I really wonder where I'd have been if I hadn't come across this board. I just can't imagine.

Not to mention, I didn't look like a complete and total idiot when I went bike shopping because I at least knew what a Shimano Ultegra was because of you guys, and you folks also showed me so many neat ways to girly up my bike too! Technical and beautifying advice, all in one place! You can't get that off a men's biking board, hee hee

Anyhow, I wanted to write more and I actually did several times but some of those posts never posted because of technical difficulties and after rewriting them 3 times and not having them post, I figured...*(&*$# it!

At any rate, I can't write much now either because I've got to get to that homework that I've been putting off while I've been staying up far too late researching and reading about bikes for the last week or so, lol.

But I did want to say thank you all for all the advice that has been forthcoming from all you lovely ladies. I keep wanting to give something back, but so far, all I have to give is a great big THANK YOU!

As for the bike, I'm still waiting to get it, my shedule and the bike shop's schedule (they were closed on Monday unbeknownst to me on Friday) don't seem to be coinciding, but sometime this week, I will become the owner of a brand new shiny bike.

Picture to come!

Love you all~

PT