Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Yakima commuters?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone here living and cycling in Yakima, WA? I'm new to town and would love to talk to women who commute by bike, or to women who ride everyday (determined, but non-competitive). I'm having trouble with all these cul de sacs and busy streets with no shoulders.

Thumbs up

Sorry Cat. I'm (semi) commuting in Seattle area. Hope you find some kindred cyclers in Yakima.

Cat, I don't commute in Yakima, but I DO live near Yakima. We should go for a ride sometime!
    New York City to Los Angeles
    42Ride, 2009

Providence to Seattle
    Bike and Build 2007

Yakima riding -- thanks!

Groundhog and Brianne,

Thanks for your replies.
    Brianne, yes, I'd love to connect. Although my own cycling is limited to moderate elevation gains, and I don't drive. So, being in a bowl here, I may not be able to get to you. I'm a long-distance "urban" rider, but cannot do a significant hill. If you're ever this way, we could do the Greenway or maybe head off into Cowiche Canyon. I'm new, so am not sure what else is out there that doesn't involve serious climbing.

I'm curious Cat - what about hills do you find impossible? Are you riding a single speed or a bike with few gears?

I'd urge you to not decide you are defeated by climbs. Don't feel that you need to do them fast. Take it slow, stop and rest if you need to, walk if it gets too steep - there's nothing to be embarrassed about, but it seems a shame to limit yourself to flat places only.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N