Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let's all be careful

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm not sure what's in the air - maybe we're all trying to get in as much riding before the weather changes, the earlier sunsets, who knows. I know that a bunch of women here have crashed. My best wishes for all who've been injured. I know of three girls locally who've been hit - none of them their fault - all three hit by cars.

Don't know what my point is, just please, be ultra-careful.

It's always a great reminder and it does happen in the blink of an eye!

LOL... this very real and always valid reminder did make me think of something...

When I got back on the bike to start actual training for road races (rather than just tootling around the paddock with my youngest kids) I would hit the tarseal (tar seal does not quite reach to our gate) and pick up speed, and pat my chest near my collar bone to check my seat belt was done up!!!

Krazee Kiwi, thats me...

But seriously... everyone be careful, those wheels are thin and there is nothing between you and the road/ground...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I'll tell you what's in the air, at least from the commuter's viewpoint - school is back in session. Many more folks dropping off or picking up their kids and in a hurry. I'm seeing a lot more moms on their cell phones in large suburban assault vehicles not really watching out. But the other drivers seem grouchier too and I think it's just because there's more traffic since school started.

ARRRGHHHHH... Pet peeve of mine Drivers on Cell Phones! I hate to say it but, It seems like it's 90% women. Really drives me @#)%&*()#@()!!!!!!

Kim

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! This morning on my ride into work this "chick" cut me off in the bike lane to make a right hand turn with no blinker on chatting away on her cell phone with a tube of mascara in her hand! Totally not paying attention!

I hit her car with my foot actually with the bottom of it with my cleat I left her a nice dent. It was going over the top or a broken leg... flashing in my head... so I unclipped and went to the side as much as I could with my foot out in front of me...I'm fine...

More than anything I think this freaked out the dude behind me, who also hit the side of her car. He just started screaming at the poor lady..... I almost felt sorry for her as she was sobbing taking the guys verbal beating... but since she almost took me out I had little pity...

It was by far the worst ride I’ve ever had… I also got a big gulp tossed at me and screamed at to get off the road… I was in the freaking bike lane!

Such a MONDAY!

all vented... now
    Last edited by PinkRacer; 09-12-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Oh good Lord!!

Sounds like you were really lucky. Cell phone AND mascara???? Look ma, no hands

aahhh that sucks. Pleased to hear you were ok though.

By the way what is a gulp?

I think it's one of those bucket-sized Coke/Pepsi cups.

That does suck, Pink. Kinda pleased you left a dent.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Thank You! To tell you the truth I was pretty happy to see I left as much of a mark on her as she did on me...

Yes a Big Gulp is pretty much like drinking a pale of coke... I knew I should have worn a rain jacket I think it's around 52oz...

nope - seems to be something in the air! I was debating rather or not I should keep riding the bike lane to work or go back to the bike path: this morning I had the " no blinker but I'm turning", the "slam on the brakes and swerve Into the bike path" and the "let's pinch the bikie against the curb" traffic. and the pincher??.....a bloody motorcycle!! The only thing I was missing was a blue-hair inching out into the bike lane so they could see to make their right hand turn! Oy Vay!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by CorsairMac
    Oy Vay!
    They're trying to kill us off because we're not having to buy gas...

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch

Sounds like a good plot for a new conspiracy novel.

Bike Commuting

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch
    Everyone who rides their bike to work is actually helping to keep the price of gas down by lowering the demand. I think the judges should hand down punishment to reckless drivers by making them commute to work on a bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Bustertb
    ..... I think the judges should hand down punishment to reckless drivers by making them commute to work on a bicycle
    I second that idea - of course then we'd get the "turning but no hand signal", the "slamming on the brakes with No Warning", and the "riding bike on the sidewalk/wrong side/" riders instead! ohhhh and the "talking on cell phone while riding bike" riders!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"