Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to carry cell phone on road bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi,

I like carrying my cell phone when I ride on area greenways, just in case. But I'm wondering if the vibrations the phone is experiencing are likely to cause damage to it? And whether it matters whether I carry it in my jersey back pocket versus the underseat bag (which I prefer to use).

Anybody have any experience or opinions on this? :>

Back story: my phone seemed buzzy last night, after spending 16 miles lounging in my bike bag. I panicked that I had ruined it, but today it seems OK, so it was probably just poor line quality. But that's what got me (a) scared and (b) wondering.

My cell phone company offers insurance at $4.99 a month, but that adds up over time.

Thanks so much,

Margot

I'm a mountain biker, and based on the number of cell phones I see crammed into camel backs, stuffed into seat bags, jersey pockets, I'd suggest that most folks don't worry about vibrations etc. I do see a fair number of shoulder holsters on camelbak shoulder straps, if you need access. My one Freeride pal straps her's to a stem holster

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

If you do carry it in your camel back put it in a plastic bag you can get it wet from the condensation of the water especially if you put in a lot of ice like I do on hot days, Or if there is a chance you can get caught in a rain storm. I also wrap mine in paper towels to help give it some padding in case of falls and I don't want it slamming into me and hurting me even more.

cell phone is in right rear jersey pocket in this

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/c...?categoryId=13
    if I wear a camelback, this clips on the shoulder strap

BTW with reference to earlier threads about cell phone's in an emergency, most cell phones let you program in a custom greeting or message that displays when you turn the phone on. Lots of people put cute messages, slogans, religious sayings etc...

mine now says the same message as on my road ID, that is who to call.
    Last edited by Trek420; 09-11-2005 at 01:12 PM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I put my cell phone in its case & it goes into my back jersey pocket - or fanny pack if I'm just wearing a sports bra with no pocket. So far, no problems. Kids carry cell phones these days, so they have to be fairly bullet proof, no?
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Mine sits in my jersey pocket now, used to be under my seat, but I figure it gets less vibration on my back than in the juddery seat bag... plus, if I need it in a rush I can get it without stopping the bike (if being 'chased' ) or without having to crawl to bike (if just crashed)

Before I had a seat bag I wore it inside my crop top in a plastic bag to stop sweat messing with it...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I use something similar to this on my right arm. Works great.

Check at your LBS............ I purchased a Trek cellphone carrier that velcroes to my stem. Comes in a couple of different sizes, to fit different phones. It is right there, in front of you, so very easy to hear if it rings. I don't know, but would guess that there might be other brands that also make cellphone holders, specifically for the bike.

annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Thanks, everyone. I feel a lot better

Hey, I appreciate the reassurances and tips on ways to carry. If mountain bikers ride with 'em, then I should be fine. And the buzzing I heard went away.

A customer rep with my cell phone company said he's carried his phone on a big rollercoaster at King's Island and it had survived, suggesting the phones can survive lots of vibrations. He also mentioned that every two years, customers are eligible for a free phone or discounted upgrade if their phone becomes lost, damaged, etc. The only cost? Well, another two year commitment, natch. ;-> I've been pleased with them, though, so no prob.

So glad I found you guys,

Margot
    Last edited by kayakergrrrl; 09-12-2005 at 07:06 PM.

kayakergrrrl sed "every two years, customers are eligible for a free phone or discounted upgrade"

right! with most at the end of your agreement waltz in, renew your contract, get a new phone. Usually you either get the phone free with a 2 year agreeent or a better free phone than the one year free phone.

I keep my old phone, anything happens to the new one just pop in the smart-chip and voila, stored numbers and settings are all there.

"So glad I found you guys"

welcome to TE!
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I carry mine in the seatbag. No issues so far. I carried it MTB'ng in my Camelback once and forgot to close the zipper all the way........can you say DUST?? LOL but the phone was still fine. It doesn't rain much here so I haven't had to address that issue yet - but if you turn the phone off Before it gets wet, and make sure it's dry before you turn it back on, you won't fry the circuits.

Also regarding the insurance: most phone companies, if you have to you can add the insurance, wait 30 days, make your first $5 payment, replace the phone and then cancel the insurance. (the phone companies won't tell you that tho)
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

For a road bike nothing is better than a BENTO BOX. I also use the Box for my digital camera. Note the photo show only the small bag. The large, like mine is longer, easily fits keys and a a cell, or a digital camera.

Here's a link: http://www.totalbike.com/items/tni_b...large_xagc.htm

For the MTBike, I put the phone in my Camelbak using one fo the side vents but word of caution. A friend of my fell back into a stream and the phone, in the Camelbak, got covered with mud. Probably a good idea to use a baggie to cover.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

Yeah.. I'm rethinking about carrying my cellphone in my jersey pocket. Not due to vibration, but if I'm going to use it in an emergency, I'd like it to work.

A month or so ago, my group past a cyclist standing on the side of the road with his cell phoone. None of us had asked if he was okay and I soon realized that anyone with a 3" strawberry on his shoulder had a bit of a toss. So I cycled back to check up on him. Two of our group followed me after a bit.

Happily, one is a doctor who did those test things and realized that the fellow was heading into shock. As soon as she discerned that, we tossed him into the car of the next Good Samaritan that stopped by. The biker didn't realize it, but he had busted his collar bone and his helmet. He had also partially busted his cell phone, but was dazed and thought that the sun was obscuring his vision. Plus, his friends were at minimum an hour away from being able to pick him up. Poor dude.

Yeah, I think a cellphone in the bike bag or bento box would probably fair better than one in my jersey pocket. Unless its in my backpack. I'll remember the ziploc suggestion. Thanks!

Good reception would be helpful, too..
    Last edited by kestrel; 09-17-2005 at 07:05 PM.

I'm going to get a bento box for my training bike i think
    Very good idea...

Thanks again peeps... this is a great site

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

RTP1031 Guest
    I used to carry mine in my jersey pocket...until I crashed. Then I had a cell phone shaped bruise on my *ss complete with antenna outline. Now I carry it in the underseat bag.