Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

what to do with an old bike - cracked frame

I'm moving in 3 weeks...

I have an old Ironhorse bike that has a cracked frame parked in my garage for the past several years cause I just can't bring myslef to toss it in the garbage. It's the head tube that's cracked, so at some time, the thing will fall apart and the rider will be left holding the handlebars anchored to nothing. I can't responsibly let this thing out in public.

BUT now I'm moving and see absolutely no reason to take it with me. I figure the components are worth something, but I don't have time to take the bike apart either. Any suggestions?
    Beth

Is there a bike co-op, or a program to rehab bikes for homeless people or kids or whatever?

If it were me, I'd first stand on the frame and bend it so the crack came apart and no one would even try to ride it, then take it somewhere that the components could be salvaged.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

You aren't gonna believe this but I have 2 friends that deliver for brown and drag home all kinds of bikes they find in dumpsters--nice ones. I would break the frame first like Oak said so no one will get hurt but if anyone is dumpster diving, I'm sure it will get put to good use. I know you don't want to do that but putting it in the dumpster doesn't necessarily mean it will get trashed--it might get recycled.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Chick View Post
    You aren't gonna believe this but I have 2 friends that deliver for brown and drag home all kinds of bikes they find in dumpsters--nice ones. I would break the frame first like Oak said so no one will get hurt but if anyone is dumpster diving, I'm sure it will get put to good use. I know you don't want to do that but putting it in the dumpster doesn't necessarily mean it will get trashed--it might get recycled.
    I rescued a bent-in-half bike from the curb on garbage day once! It looked like it had been backed into in a garage maybe. Late 80's Miyata road bike with all Shimano 105... the front wheel has done nicely on my BF's fixie.

I agree a bike co-op would probably be the best place to send it, but if you can't find someone to take it and put it out on the curb, I also agree it may not end up going to waste.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

Iron Horses cracked a lot. A head tube crack is not that common and very dangerous. I agree, only throw it in the dumpster/leave on the curb when you've really broken it, and it's obvious to whomever may find it. Hacksaws are good for this.

Hubby has an ancient Viner...his first road bike. It has a cracked frame. We have talked about mounting it onto some sort of board covered with some sort of graphics (perhaps letting our 9 year old go nuts with some paint) and turning it into a large piece of multi-media wall art.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2