Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tri chamois seam irritation

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I ride my TT bike with an Adamo saddle. Since it's a little wider at the front end, I get chafing on the sides... where the side seams of the chamois are located. My tri shorts are Zoot, and I'm thinking there may be some shorts with a better chamois or even NO chamois. Anybody got any recommendations? Thanks

Under Armour "heat gear" team compression shorts in 4 inch or 7 inch inseam. Come in 3 colors (white, blue, black) and I think 3 inseams. I prefer the 7 inch for riding ($27), but also use the 4 inch ($24) for tri. They go well under my wetsuit.

No chamois. And I get no seam chafe, either.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Thanks KY! I'll check them out!

I have found that one thing with Zoot shorts is to make sure they are pulled ALL THE WAY UP and then adjust them back down in the leg. If I don't adjust the chamois/legs way into the crack of my legs (for lack of a better description) before pulling the legs to the leg line, it chafes worse than if I just yank them on really quickly, which leaves gaps and they rub somewhere else against my skin. That said, they still chafe on longer rides, and I have to use the bodyglide. I don't have chafing with my tri suit but I haven't rode it more than about 25 miles straight.

I have yet to try another brand of tri shorts, I like the quality of the Zoots. Just thought I'd toss in my two cents about how they fit. Trying something without a chamois as Knot suggests might be the best first shot.

Thanks Colby!

I don't like the placement of the Zoot chamois seams either. Also, the shorts haven't held up particularly well for me. The bottom of the legs are loose around my thighs, although they fit great when I first got them. They get washed on delicate and line-dried, and have never been in chlorine. I just looked at the UA shorts on Amazon, but it looks like there is a seam down the middle, and I think that might be worse for me than the placement of the Zoot seams.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I just looked at the UA shorts on Amazon, but it looks like there is a seam down the middle, and I think that might be worse for me than the placement of the Zoot seams.
    There is a gusset at the crotch, so there's no seaming in that spot. I've had no problem with any of the seams, but then I've only done medium-length rides (50 miles or so) in them. It's been quite a while since I've done any long rides (80+) and when I was doing those I was still wearing chamois and hadn't switched back yet.

Of course, this means I need to go for some long rides, to test the UA out, for the good of TE... yeah...
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson