Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

want to start running/jogging

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey ladies,
    I want to start running. I'm getting stronger with my biking and feel that running will help me get rid of this weight that keeps hanging on. Any tips suggestions would be great. Esp what to do when you get that stitch in your side !
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Google Couch to 5k. A lot of us have used the program--either to a "T" or somewhat loosely--with pretty good success. Get fitted for a good pair of shoes, too.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

+1 for couch-to-5k (C25K). Great program - for beginners or for runners who've fallen off the wagon. If it gets to be too much, you can repeat weeks.

Don't forget to stretch, and take it easy. I did sprints yesterday and I'm so sore I can barely get up the stairs!
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

Couch-to-5k is a really great way to start...I got my start 4.5 years ago with that program.

But I will warn that running is not really as great for weight loss as one might think. I know of very few people who have lost significant weight with running, alone--myself included. Running has a tendency to make a person's appetite skyrocket and it's a bad catch-22. Cut calories enough to lose weight and you won't run for crap. Eat enough to run well and you will maintain. I have had MUCH better luck losing weight with cycling and weight-training. I can do these things with a low level of hunger.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

While it's true that running alone won't do for significant weightloss, I always had the feeling that it helps a lot. It seems that I can get much more workout from 1 hour of running than 1 hour of cycling. Also I like it as alternative to indoor cycling in winter.

The best tip for me would have been: start really really slow. Try to focus on your form (I see awful things on my running trail in regards of posture and footwork everyday, those people don't do themselves any good).
    It's also very personal. My husband had no problems to run a 5k when we started out. I could barely run the distance between 2 street lamps before my shins where aching I'm not a natural when it comes to running I guess.
    So I walked a lot in the beginning. It took me a year to run 5k without having to walk. It can help to monitor your pulse and try to keep between a reasonable margin by alternating between walking and running.
    That stitch in your side: breathe and relax. Go slower.

I think it's just a matter of duration. I think three hours is about the duration where you start to see some weight loss, and it's a whole lot easier to ride three hours than it is to run three hours. I definitely dropped a couple of pounds when I started running the longer distances.

As far as The Hunger, though , IME that's all about recovery nutrition. When I come back from anything strenuous the last thing I want to do is eat, but if I force myself to eat those 2-300 calories within the first half hour - just like all the authorities tell you to do - then I won't get the insatiable eat-everything-in-sight that happens when my muscles are really depleted.

But yeah - form. Strengthen your hips - there are lots of resources online for hip exercises for runners. Keep your stride short and your cadence high. Those three things will make running a lot safer.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    As far as The Hunger, though , IME that's all about recovery nutrition. When I come back from anything strenuous the last thing I want to do is eat, but if I force myself to eat those 2-300 calories within the first half hour - just like all the authorities tell you to do - then I won't get the insatiable eat-everything-in-sight that happens when my muscles are really depleted.
    I've found this to be true myself. If I make myself eat something with protein right after I run or ride (it's usually Carnation instant breakfast and skim milk) even if I don't feel like it, then I'm not slamming cabinet doors or hitting the vending machine later----that's when I eat bad.

I enjoy running so I can maintain some type of fitness in the winter when I'm not riding. It's also a change of pace and I think riding and running compliment each other. Just take it easy and follow the plan. I found that I didn't progress as quickly running as I did with cycling. Do you swim??? You might want to think about triathlons as well!

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Cereal & milk is a good post recovery meal. Before running/cycling/lifting I have chocolate soymilk with chocolate protein powder. Studies are showing that protein before a workout gets assimilated much more easily.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    Cereal & milk is a good post recovery meal. Before running/cycling/lifting I have chocolate soymilk with chocolate protein powder. Studies are showing that protein before a workout gets assimilated much more easily.

I KNEW there was a reason I ate PB&J before every race.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You are definitely luckier than I. The minute I walk in the door from a run I am hungry. After anything longer than an hour I will down a protein shake or PB sandwich or a hard-boiled egg and some string cheese. Something quick and satisfying with some protein. I still get the OHMYGAWDICOULDEATAHORSE reactive hypoglycemia feeling an hour or two later.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Thanks Ladies!!
    OK I understand, I won't really lose "weight" but will it help get rid of the fat atleast?? I know I need to do some serious core training.

I really want to be able to do 5ks and eventually 10ks

Bike Chick, actually, i believe our High School offers a swimming course for people who want to Tri. I would love to tri. I like pushing myself to my limit. and I really revel in accomplishing things. thats my next step.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Personally, I find that running does help my weight loss way more than cycling. But then, I'm conditioned to cycling...running is harder for me. I think the benefit is doing something that is a challenge. Swimming makes me the hungriest of them all!

I also recommend a couch to 5K plan to get started. And if you are getting a stitch in your side, SLOW DOWN...you are going too fast (unless you are racing in which case, I think you just suck it up ).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I KNEW there was a reason I ate PB&J before every race.

Veronica
    PB&J should be its own food group, IMO.

Losing weight - it's mostly diet (sigh.) Figure that the 300 calories you burn on the dreadmill can be easily replaced with a candy bar. Some studies are showing, however, that you can keep weight off with exercise. And in the final analysis, THAT is the hardest part.

Regarding the OP's mention of core training - it's good but remember that you cannot spot reduce. Any excess around the midsection will come off with diet.

I think (with absolutely no scientific evidence to back me up) that we are seeing more abdominal fat because of processed foods. If it lasts on the shelf longer than Keith Richards & cockroaches, it must be full of chemicals. I don't think "a calorie is a calorie" because how does our body know how to burn foods laced with chemicals? The body says, "I'll just store this as fat until I can figure this out." OK, I'm being facetious, but I know that if I start eating store bought "power bars" instead of regular food, I'll gain weight even though my calorie intake is the same.

SO, to lose weight - exercise is good, be it running, cycling, swimming, etc. Weight lifting builds muscle that is metabolically more active than fat - also good. But the diet is the key. Some people say it's 80% of the equation.
    To train a dog, you must be more interesting than dirt.

Trek Project One
    Trek FX 7.4 Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmama View Post
    SO, to lose weight - exercise is good, be it running, cycling, swimming, etc. Weight lifting builds muscle that is metabolically more active than fat - also good. But the diet is the key. Some people say it's 80% of the equation.
    I would say this is right. I have a friend who is RIPPED after having 5 kids (including a set of twins). She always says "abs are made in the kitchen," i.e. it's her diet that has her looking so lean and allows her muscles to show. I have muscles, too, but mine are shrouded in a layer of squish.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Personally, I find that running does help my weight loss way more than cycling. But then, I'm conditioned to cycling...running is harder for me. I think the benefit is doing something that is a challenge. Swimming makes me the hungriest of them all!

I also recommend a couch to 5K plan to get started. And if you are getting a stitch in your side, SLOW DOWN...you are going too fast (unless you are racing in which case, I think you just suck it up ).
    X1000!!!! I swam 2,500 meters this morning (after my gym workout), and when I got home from the pool, I practically tore my kitchen apart looking for anything and everything edible!!!

But I am usually famished after any kind of strenuous exercise...be it biking, swimming, gym, running, whatever...I need food right away. Hmmm...might explain why I seem to hang on to the pounds I'm trying to shed.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155