Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cool Road Bike for 5' Woman?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been biking to work everyday for the past year on my comfy little 7 speed cruiser and it's workd fine for me(and fits me). However, I'd like to enter the racing atmosphere and have already registered to part-take in the Seacoast Tri-State Century Ride, which I'm really pumped to ride. I've been ooging roadbikes since I've started riding to work last year but have never really persued the idea until now. I've ridden a few bikes at bike shops, but most of the shops I visited didn't have any WSD bikes in my size(I think I may fit in a 44-46cm range). Right now I'm thinking about a 44cm Mercier Elle 2010 (it's less than $600 and in a size small enough) anyone have any good input for searching for small, affordable, WSD bikes?

You might look into a used Terry.

I'm also 5 feet tall and was looking for not only a road bike but one with a step-through or mixte frame. I ended up getting a Bike Friday.

I am 4'11" and I got a specialized Dolce. It is more. but I plan on having it for YEARS. I love it. We actually didn't have to adjust anything but the seat.
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm 5'1" and have a 44 cm Fuji Finest 2.0. It can be gotten on sale for as little as $600.
    Last edited by azfiddle; 08-12-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: more info
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Jamis also makes small bikes, .

I am also 5' and I test rode a lot of bikes. I ended up with a Jamis. I really wanted a Specialized Amira but got a great deal on a Jamis Race Femme that I couldn't turn down. It's a great bike

2010 Jamis Durango 2
    2010 Jamis Race Femme
    2008 Felt Tk2
    2007 Quintana Roo Dulce

And by the way, the Seacoast Century is a ride... not a race.
    Of course, there are plenty of people who make into a race, but it is a very fun, beautiful ride, with absolutely no hills, except for the one up to Nubble Pt. lighthouse.
    Don't let the flat terrain fool you, though. The headwind on the way back is vicious.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Maybe a Giant? They have smaller sizes. And Giant tends to be quite good for the money.

Avail 3
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...te/3881/36266/

Giant will probably be too big with a 51cm top tube and 74* seat tube angle.

2010 Jamis Durango 2
    2010 Jamis Race Femme
    2008 Felt Tk2
    2007 Quintana Roo Dulce

Quote Originally Posted by mixie View Post
    Giant will probably be too big with a 51cm top tube and 74* seat tube angle.
    Agreed - depends on your build of course, but for a person like me, 5' even - short torso/arms, Giants, even in the smallest sizes are way big....

I have a 44cm Specialized - love it!
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Just wanted to say that Specialized has a life-time warranty on their frames and I just had a very small crack in my 6 year old bike and they give me a whole new bike, delivered in less than a week. Great customer service!!!

I have a friend who is 4'10" and she rides a tiny Lemond Big Sky road bike. I'm not sure of the size of the bike but it takes 700c wheels. It's aluminum w/ carbon fork. She has done many century rides on it. She is now thinking about a custom frame.

I'm not sure if they still make the Big Sky, maybe they might show up on ebay.
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

There are a lot of great small frame bikes, but a lot of them are not going to be found used. So, that is good that you are looking new. Also, go get fitted. I thought I was in your range (same height as you) and I am a 47 cm girl on my Trek and a 50 in giant's OCR series. Just really depends on the geography. I am all legs, so I take a taller bike, but you may be surprised!

As Eden mentioned, it's all about proportions rather than height when you're small. For example, I have a friend the same height but she has short legs (so standover is her critical issue; she rides a very compact 700c Giant) and I have long legs/short reach (so effective top tube is my crunch number; I ride a custom 650c).

It's very difficult to find xs bikes to try, but keep trying as you will learn what geometry suits you. Or get a professional fit as already suggested (if you're a member of club, they might be able to recommend someone reliable). The geometry of your current bike is a good start if it fits (get the data from the manufacturer's website or see Park Tools on how to measure a frame). Key measures (depending on your proportions) are top tube length (your reach) and standover (which you can measure easily anyway). Once you have a feel for those, you'll be able to assess anything that comes up and shop the main brands' websites for what's likely to fit. Good luck.

Cannondale makes ws bikes that start at 44 cm.