Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face The limiting factor:

To disable ads, please log-in.

Fear.

Man was I scared. I was going downhill slower than up

First I see this roadkilled squirrel on a descent and I wondered if I was going to look like that in a sec.
    I had troubles changing lanes on the bigger roads while watching the red light and traffic from behind and trying not to oversteer AND unclipping - yikes.... I actually crossed a large intersection on the crosswalk - wobbling on my shoes

I used to be a fearless bike commuter but the racer is soooo tiny underneath me and every little hole I hit in the tarmac, I think the tires are gonna blooooow...

Hey rabbit, welcome to the boards...

I don't like descents much either... 40km/hour is as high as I get on moderate descents... less as the gradient climbs

Better to err on the side of caution

You're right... don't wanna look like roadkill!

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Hi raven,

nice to meet you and great signature line!

I WILL try again tomorrow LOL

alpine... how long have you been riding? descending can be nerveracking! I was really nervous about it my first year especially... to this day I am careful and don't take it for granted... I have hit stupid top speeds, but only on straightaways...

there is a fast downhill on my commute home... there is a section that is a bridge over a valley below... last week as I crossed there, doing about 37mph, the wind was HOWLING! My front wheel started to shudder... man, did I sit up and start feathering my brakes! Slowed it waaaaaay down...

I have a healthy respect for pavement... and my skin!
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

I use my brakes on decents. True... I lose the group... and I get told to NOT use my brakes...

But, I'm not Lance... I'm not in a race... and I won't win any money if go faster than someone else.

I'm all about staying ON my bike... and not hitting a pothole at 30 MPH... with the possiblity of hurting myself... AND my bike!

So... I use my brakes... and I feel SAFE going down hills... and I don't worry about killing myself.

Plus, when we go up the hills... I catch up... because I move it up some hills!

Am I the only one that likes a good, fast downhill?
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Quote Originally Posted by MomOnBike
    Am I the only one that likes a good, fast downhill?
    no ma'am....I was Most Unhappy Sat when I climbed my heart out knowing I would get to do a Screaming descent on the way back (I've hit speeds of 45+ on that descent and was hoping to hit 50 Sat) ONLY to be faced with a vicious head/cross wind. I ended up doing 42 coming down that mountain and that was only because I was so far down in the drops I was laying on my saddle!! Guess I"ll just have to try another day!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

I've been mountainbiking now and then / commuting daily for 6-8 years, until I got a real job in another town 2 yrs ago. But the race bike is new.

next try: 45km and 350 meters up. I nearly died climbing up. My SO had to push a couple times and my pulse was... don't tell me off.... 193 at one point.

But going home was ok, I slept it off and I only had a sore butt (muscles, not sitting bones) for a day.

Clipping is easier already, sometimes I hit them without looking - and new glasses with decent side view make a lane change a joke - like in the old days. I could hold my legs steady and my hands brake-ready going downhill, still slow but getting more confident.

I am so happy my posture seems to be ok! and thanks for the hint about the crew cut elsewhere.
    Last edited by alpinerabbit; 09-12-2005 at 02:52 PM.
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

LOVE your avatar!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"