Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Multi-tool recommendations?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I keep looking at the Topeak and Parks multitools. The ones with more functions look great, but I use a small seat-pack and may just want to put the tool in my pocket.

Any thoughts? Maybe I could get one for shorter distances and one for longer, but OTOH, it may be best to get just one. No reason to waste money.

Also liked the look of the 3 Topeaks TE offers:

http://www.teamestrogen.com/product/...0-c61-c67.html

The smallest one looks so handy. But maybe it's not versatile enough?
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Personally, for the small one I'd be afraid to lose all of those loose parts while out on the road. I like the Crank Brothers, the 10 or the 17.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Depends how far out in the boonies you get.

I like to have the kitchen sink (Topeak Alien II, spare cables, spare powerlink) when I'm in Ohio. But the tool weighs a ton. If I'm sticking closer to civilization where a phone call could get me a ride within 20 minutes, or I might even be near a bus stop, then all I carry are what I need to make common adjustments or tighten a loose fastener or cleat ... 4,5,6 mm Allen, and a stubby #2 flat blade screwdriver for my cleats. If you have anything that you know tends to come loose, computer or whatever, make sure you have a tool for that.

Plus tire repair stuff of course.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I have the Topeak Alien XS with the chain tool. The chain tool lives in the little mesh pocket on the inside of my seat bag.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I like the looks of that Alien II Oak! Could use that for a lot of things besides the bike.

(Actually pretty handy around the house, believe it or not, but have plenty of tools for that, suspect I may eventually get one of the relly big ones. Just because).

Still keep gravitating towards the Topeak. Much cheaper on amazon! Crank Bros look like good quality too though.

Starting to sound like the best all around for versitility and mobility is the 17?

I do have a multitool that I'm replacing. It's the wooden Nashbar one. Got it for 5 dollars. Heavy and the tools are so short they look like they'd be difficult to use, so have just been bringing Allen keys, loose tire bars, etc with me.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!