Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up France - Provence

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been on biking tours in France 3 times now and I'm planning another one at the end of June. I go with VBT (Vermont Biking Tours) and I can't recommend them enough. They're wonderful! Check them out at http://www.vbt.com and no, I don't work for them I just love their tours!

Provence on a bike is too wonderful for words. Sun, beautiful countryside, wonderful food and the people are terrific. You just can't beat it. If anyone would like specifics, let me know and I'll be happy to fill in the details.

hi, cruziegirl. my husband and i are going to be in provence the middle of september. we're heading there after a week in bordeaux where i am doing the marathon du medoc. i would love any info you'd like to share on bike routes. we'll be there 3 or 4 days.

thanks!

Places to go, things to see

In Provence:
    Avignon is a beautiful city filled with interesting museums and places to see. The Hotel Mercure Le Palais des Papes is a convenient and very nice hotel on Le Place de l'Horloge.
    Roussillon and Gordes in the Luberon - beautiful cities to visit
    Les Baux and St. Remy - both beautiful sites. St. Remy where Van Gogh painted many of his pictures. L'Atelier des Images is a wonderful and centrally located hotel in St. Remy Be sure to go out to Glanum
    Sauveterre - Le Chateau de Varennes is a beautiful hotel with a dramatic view of Mt. Ventoux
    Other hotels in the area: Maison de Bournissac is also near St. Remy as is Mas d'Oliviers.
    It's such a beautiful area with so much to see, you just can't go wrong.

Take look at the VBT site (www.vbt.com) - their tours are wonderfully organized and will show you the beauty of la belle Provence.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    On one of your next trips, check out Brittany. Beautiful, and fewer tourists than Provence. Also, the Charente-Maritime is also a wonderful place to ride (nice and flat, mostly).

Hi Cruziegirl! Isn't Provence fantastic???

DH and I rented hybrids and did a 9 day unsupported trip in July for our honeymoon. Started a circle from Avignon, Uzes (fabulous), Beaucaire/Tarascon (ok), Arles (great), St. Remy, Les. Baux, Menerbes, Bonniuex... Sigh. I wanna go back... We had great service from Jonathan who rented us the bikes (thru http://www.bikerentalsplus.com/) Did it all online but was very happy with the service and the bikes/panniers etc). We booked most of our B&B's and hotels online ahead of time so we didn't have to worry about where we were going to stay the next night but the last 3 days were unplanned because we were having so much fun we cancelled our rental car and decided to keep on riding - we managed to find two great B&B's online while we were there. We bought a baguette, sliced ham and cheese and a bottle of wine every morning before we hit the road and ate in the vineyards every afternoon. Had dinner in an outdoor bistro of a tiny medieval town every evening. Stayed in nice B&B's every night. Can't wait to go again. Sigh....

Here's a link to our pics you're interested.

http://community.webshots.com/user/kelownagurl

Go to the Provence Album and click on slide show.
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Kelownagirl, I just looked at all of your Provence photos, and they are GREAT! What a neat idea for a honeymoon. I've also been reading some of your blogs, and you are an inspiration. On the spur of the moment, I decided to ride in the Bordeaux/St. Emilion region in September. Now that i've seen your photos, I'm looking forward to the trip even more. Thanks!

Hey thanks kjay! I am actually online right at this moment, booking B&B (chambre d'hotes) for a repeat trip this July. Erik and I had such an awesome time two years ago, we are going back for more. We are going do part of our last trip and then continue on to some places we not yet been. I cannot wait!!!

don't forget to do Mont Ventoux!!
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

What would it be like to climb Mount Ventoux in 35 degree temps on a fully loaded hybrid? Still worth it or no? We'll be close but it would be a long side trip...

I don't think it would be worth it :
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Ventoux: ditch the panniers at the B&B and do the climb!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

What's everybody's favourite side to climb Ventoux from?

We're going in two weeks! (Very excited.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    What's everybody's favourite side to climb Ventoux from?

We're going in two weeks! (Very excited.)
    Only ever done it from the Bedoin side. It was great!! That's the side the Tour generally goes up.

Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    Only ever done it from the Bedoin side. It was great!! That's the side the Tour generally goes up.
    Then that's the side my sweet heart is going to go by!

Thanks!

Cool pic!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    On one of your next trips, check out Brittany. Beautiful, and fewer tourists than Provence. Also, the Charente-Maritime is also a wonderful place to ride (nice and flat, mostly).
    Tulip, were you with a tour or on your own? This area really intrigues me, and I'd appreciate info about riding alone. Thanks very much.