Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

*new rider* Bike MS: Southern Cal

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am wondering if anyone else is doing this ride coming up in mid october. I am a new rider, my longest ride has been 30 miles and the event I signed up for is 60 miles. I need advice on training and nutrition. Please help me by sharing your story of your first charity ride.

Thanks!

--Lluvia

Hi! I did my first Bike MS last Sept. I did the 150. It was crazy! I loved it. I'm on a "team" with much more experianced riders and they were so encouraging and gave me tips. Are you doing yours by yourself or with other people that you know? My story is quite diff.. I had no way to train since my bike was stolen 3 mos before the ride. I borrowed a friends giant. and I was hooked. at the end of day one I was tired, sore, excited, and proud of myself. at the end of day two I had all those emotions like an explotion and I cried as I crossed the finish line. I am looking forward to this years' ride with my Dolce!! Good luck and would love to hear how it went!
    Women are. Like tea bags; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey bikingnurse,

It's awesome to read your success story and it makes me feel that maybe I really can do this (it feels like I'm doing something crazy.) To answer your question, I am kinda doing it on my own because one of my best friends has multiple sclerosis and it was getting worse and I felt I had to do something.

--Lluvia

Lluvia, I am also doing an MS Ride in October. I am doing the whole 150 (over 2 days), and I'm very nervous about doing 2 days in a row.

My first long ride was just a few weeks ago. My husband and I rode the Tuscaloosa Hot Hundred. We had intended to go only the 46 mile route, but met up with a single rider and ended up riding with her for the 65 mile route. It was the farthest I had ever gone!

Before that ride, I had only done 30, like you. Also, I ride on flats and the Tuscaloosa ride was hilly, so it was extra challenging. I did just fine - and I must say I was surprised. I attribute a lot of it to proper nutrition and hydration, so make sure you study up on that before your ride.

Good luck!

I did it!