Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Ramrod 2010

Ramrod 2010

To disable ads, please log-in.

While hanging out with my friends who finished RAMROD yesterday, I think I had a Susan126 sighting! Riding a Specialized & carrying a WAVE backpack. I'd love to hear a ride report. I earned my volunteer points this year so I'll be in next year for the first time. The weather seemed perfect...very different than last year.

That was me LilBolt! Also there at the finish was Malaholic from team estrogen. She was a volunteer at the finish. I met her and she was wonderful. I'm sorry I seemed preoccupied malaholic but my daughter was supposed to be at the finish line waiting for me but she wasn't anywhere to be seen. When I checked my messages on my cell phone she had left a message. Something had happened and I was concerned but everything is okay now. Sorry again, I didn't mean to seem rude or I would have stayed longer to chat. I did njoy meeting you and your adorable pups!

Okay my ride report . . .

It was an early start! I was up when my alarm went off at 3:00 AM. I got dressed, got my bike into my car, stretched and then I was out the door for the 10 mile drive to the start at the Enumclaw H.S. It was a foggy morning. The marine layer was thick causing condensation on my glasses as I rode. So I had to remove them for the first 58 miles of the ride.

I left the start with the rest of the riders at 5:00 AM. The streets were quiet and the traffic, well there wasn't very much. At each major intersection though we had a police officer there making sure we crossed without difficulty. The route continued through the towns of Buckley, South Prairie, Orting, and finally arriving at our first rest stop in the town of Eatonville. I was averaging almost 16 mph when I reached Eatonville but the course was downhill to Orville Road (mile 13) and then flat and then a very gradual rise to Eatonville. But this would soon end.

A "hill" greeted me as I left Eatonville. From Eatonville (elevation 800 feet) we had a gradual climb for the next 25 miles. Our second rest stop was at mile 58.2 (elevation 2010) just half a mile from the Nisqually entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park.

Mounthaven rest stop mile 58.2 just half a mile from the park entrance. The fog begins to clear just as I leave the rest stop.

Approaching the park entrance and the start of the 18 mile climb to the summit near Paradise. Next rest stop is 18 miles up at Inspiration Point. This was also our first checkpoint. As we entered the park we had to show the ranger and members from the bike club our number.

The ride from the park entrance to Longmire (6 miles to Longmire from the entrance) was beautiful. The climbing began as soon as we entered but it wasn't too bad . . . yet! The ride up was along the river and through the most beautiful lush forest I have ever seen. After 6 miles I reached Longmire and her the climb stiffened up . . . it got pretty steep! So from the park entrance we went from 2010 feet to 4800 feet in less than 18 miles. But the rewards upon reaching Inspiration Point were well worth the effort of the climb.

About a quarter mile from the summit rest stop at Inspiration Point I just had to get this picture of my bike with Mt. Rainier in the background!

Approaching Inspiration Point and the third rest stop at mile 75.1.

And this is why it's called Inspiration Point but this picture does not do justice to the real thing!

I reached the summit around 11:30 AM. That 16 mph average quickly went down once the climbing began. But I made up some time on the sweet 13 mile descent from the top of Inspiration Point. As I cruised down I passed Reflection Lake and was so tempted to stop and take a picture but I didn't; I just enjoyed the view as it went by. After the thrilling downhill the three mile climb up and over Backbone Ridge began followed by another sweeeeet five mile descent to Box Canyon and our fourth rest stop. After leaving the rest stop I continued downhill again past Ohanapecosh and the junction of highway 123 and the dreaded last steep climb up Cayuse! This climb was 11 miles long, very steep, with no shade, and starting 99 miles into the ride! Talk about a long 11 miles . . . it was brutal. Like I said there was no shade at all on this climb up Cayuse. The sun was beating down, and the hill just kept on going and going. I had to rest a few times because I was getting very over heated. I passed a few little waterfalls on the climb up and they created a very cold breeze as I went by. I was tempted a couple times to jump into one! And my water was quickly disappearing but 7 miles into the climb there was a water and sanican stop at the Deer Head Trailhead. Thank God because I was out. There was this wonderful man spraying riders with a spray bottle and I tell you it felt wonderful! And a wonderful older woman filling our water bottles for us. Refreshed and with full water bottles I continued up the last 4.1 miles to Cayuse Pass and the junction of highway 410. Oh I forgot to mention that we passed through three tunnels on the RAMROD ride. The bike club put up these neat signs that said Bikes In Tunnel but I didn't stop to get a picture. The tunnels were cool and dark but thank goodness not too long. The final tunnel was just 2 miles from the top of Cayuse . . . onward and upward! Finally I reached the top of Cayuse Pass at 3:07 PM! Woot woot! It only took me just under two hours to climb Cayuse! But the downhill from the top of Cayuse to the Deli stop 8 miles below only took me 12 minutes and it was the thrill of the entire ride. And the road was in great shape and there was hardly any traffic! I was flying down at 40+ mph! My overheated body quickly cooled and I felt like I was flying. It made me think of the Tour de France, coming down a steep mountain stage in the Alps or Pyrenees. It was wonderful, exhilarating, made me smile from ear to ear! It was pure pleasure and excitement. Finally I reached the park's exit. After exiting the park, a few yards ahead, I turned right onto Crystal Mountain Blvd and into the Deli Stop. The people were great and the food tasted wonderful. After a day of cookies, fruit, bagels, and peanut butter, a ham with Swiss sandwich, with lettuce tomatoes and a side of salty chips and a bunch of grapes . . . I was in heaven! I stayed a little too long at this rest stop finally leaving at 4:11 pm I was on my way again. Only 35 miles to Enumclaw and the finish line. You're probably thinking all downhill to Enumclaw, well that's a half truth. The first 15 miles were nice. But after Greenwater there were a few little climbs left to do. Nothing bad but after a day of climbing through the park they were tough. And there was a headwind . . . of course there was! Finally 27 miles after leaving the Deli stop I saw an officer at the Mud Mountain Dam turn off waiting to help us cyclists make the left hand turn off of highway 410 onto Mud Mountain Dam Road. He yelled out encouragement as I turned, "You are almost there, only a little over 9 miles to the finish!" I thanked him and continued on. There was a sweet fast downhill off mud mountain into the Enumclaw plateau and then I was on the out skirts of town. About half a mile before the finish there was one more officer stationed at a busy intersection to help us again cross highway 410. And then it was just two and half blocks to the finish line. Finally there was the school where it all began only 13 hours and 11 minutes ago! As I approached people were clapping and cheering and woot wooting for me as I entered the finish and crossed the line. I made it! I crossed around 6:11 PM and a great guy handed me my official 2010 RAMROD patch! He told me job well done and reminded me to go and get my ice cream, which I did!

Great ride report! CONGRATULATIONS! I've ridden parts of that course on several different rides, but it is still inconceivable that people can ride all of those parts in one day! Amazing!

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Great photos & report. I can't wait to experience it for myself. It sounds like you did the ride solo...extra bonus points! Congratulations.

The months of training really helped prepare me for the ride lauraelmore. I still can't believe I did it. My legs keep reminding me though They feel tired. Lilbolt I did ride alone. My friend was supposed to do it with me, she even made the lottery, but she hurt herself and had to cancel. All I have to say is TRAIN! Do hills, long hills, steep hills, mix it up with gradual hills and flats, increase your mileage each week. I'll be cheering for you next July! And eagerly waiting to read all about your day over and around the mountain!

Purchased my digital image from Brunk Photo. Me reaching Inspiration Point.
    Last edited by Susan126; 08-01-2010 at 07:16 AM.

WOW! Incredible story and ride - thanks for sharing it with us!

How many miles in total?

My bike computer said 148.13 miles. My average speed was 12.9. Ride time was 11:28. Total time (including breaks, rest stops and such) was 13:11. I stayed way too long at a couple of the rest stops. Elevation over 10,000 feet. A cyclist who had a garmin with elevation said we climbed a total of 10,117 feet.

My next big challenge (looking at my pictures) is to lose the 15 pounds that I've put on over the last 6 years. Turning 50 six years ago and going through menopause have not been easy on me. Plus I am my worst enemy, I'm a BIG sugar junkie. I have stashes of M&Ms with peanuts everywhere! My 28 year old daughter preaches the evils of refined sugars and carbs to me. So I will cut out all refined sugars from my diet, I will continue to cycle for aerobic fitness and endurance (and because I love to ride my bike) and I will begin going to the gym with my daughter to do weights. Next year I want to be 15 pounds lighter which should make going up hills (and mountains) easier and faster!

That is a great photo! And it was cool to meet you at the finish line. You were looking great, like you'd just been out for a relaxing ride around the neighborhood. Very impressive finish!

I'm with you in trying to cut out some of the sugar & get into top form for next year. I have been really bad about that lately. I am toying with the idea of signing up for High Pass Challenge in September, but I really would like to lose 5-10 pounds and hopefully be able to climb a little faster.
    2010 Pinarello FP7 / Specialized Toupe
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp / Specialized Toupe
    2005 Trek Fuel EX8 / WTB Deva

Thanks malaholic! But I can't see where you would need to lose 5-10 pounds. Meeting you on Thursday and seeing you . . . you are one slim and fit person!

I saw that high pass challenge on the CBC web site and thought about doing it myself but I have so much going on in September that I'm going to have to pass. If you've been riding and riding "hills" and training you should consider doing the ride. My advice is this . . . don't do a ride that you have not trained for. That's an easy way to hurt yourself. Let me know if you go for it! I will cheer for you on the day of the ride if you do decide to ride the High Pass Challenge.

I really enjoyed High Pass Challenge, and that's what made me want to do RAMROD. I wanted to do it this year, but we also have a lot going on in September. Will settle for riding Hurricane Ridge, the WAVE, and a bike tour in Sonoma, CA at the end of the month. Malaholic...If the weather is good, and you feel good, go for it.
    1972 Schwinn Paramount
    2006 Serotta Coeur d'Acier
    2007 Holland Exogrid
    2008 Salsa Casseroll
    2010 Scott Contessa 20

Congrats!!!

Congratulations!!! I just read your description of the Ram Rod. What an accomplishment.

Stellar 1