Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Waist matters & frustration - some venting

To disable ads, please log-in.

I couldn't figure out where to put this, so it wound up here.

It is about my waist. I am a Type 2 diabetic - though mild and controlled by diet and exercise I certainly don't want it to get worse. In the past 9, almost 10, months I have lost close to 50 pounds and have gone from 47% body fat to 20%. That translates to a LOT of very hard work - and without a thyroid or reproductive system (I only take thyroid replacement, no other replacements), well I generally say that I have to work harder than the average bear to get my body's attention. That's fine, I do what I need to do.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is that I just cannot seem to lose my apple shape. My body wants to have all of my body fat in middle, and this just isn't good for the diabetes. I work my azz off between strength training, spinning class, and the bike - and have a strict diet. At this point I am losing inches everywhere BUT my waist. Thankfully my thighs and calves are getting bigger from muscle and that is a GOOD thing - they were too small.

Has anyone had this problem? Were you able to find a way to decrease the abdominal fat? Perhaps I am expecting too much out of myself with all of the progress that I've made over a relatively short time - and I have had two abdominal surgeries over the years which may be contributing from all of those muscles having been cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    and I have had two abdominal surgeries over the years which may be contributing from all of those muscles having been cut.
    Considering that, I'd bet it's not "fat" you are frustrated with so much as abdominal/core tone.

I can make a woman look 20 lbs lighter in 20 seconds just by correcting her posture and having her activate her core. Tell your trainer to start earning his keep and address your core!
    (and that does NOT mean sit ups and curl ups!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I will talk with him. We have been doing a lot of core work - with weights and with the stability ball. Perhaps there are some things that I can do at home that will supplement this, I will ask him. He doesn't have me do sit ups or curl ups at all.

Habits are more important than exercises for core, honestly.

Exercises are just to perk things up. Holding them that way for a full day is the real work out!

Posture and static things like sustained plank (prone and side) in all their variations are the big guns.

But the biggest gun of all is increasing tone by activating the core all the time through posture. (you don't want it to think it only has to work during exercise. You want it active all the time, so train it to be active all the time by using it every moment of the day.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Habits are more important than exercises for core, honestly.

Exercises are just to perk things up. Holding them that way for a full day is the real work out!

Posture and static things like sustained plank (prone and side) in all their variations are the big guns.

But the biggest gun of all is increasing tone by activating the core all the time through posture. (you don't want it to think it only has to work during exercise. You want it active all the time, so train it to be active all the time.)
    Ahhhh, I understand now. I know about the plank (prone) and will ask him about the side. You are telling me that I need to focus on holding my stomach muscles in all of the time - yes? Considering I work at a computer I am quite sure that this is related.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Everything Knott said...plus Pilates (good, classical Pilates-you've heard it all before). I was amazed at the difference Pilates made in the shape of my middle. It helped my posture, too. And my back pain disappeared.

BTW, that is awesome that you have lost so much weight and that your body fat percentage decreased so much. No doubt you have been working very hard! Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Everything Knott said...plus Pilates (good, classical Pilates-you've heard it all before). I was amazed at the difference Pilates made in the shape of my middle. It helped my posture, too. And my back pain disappeared.
    Are you referring to something they call "mat" Pilates - not Reformer? My club doesn't charge extra for the former but they do for the latter. Currently I have no extra time for an additional class - but winter is coming - I will look into this.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I do the mat series, but I would do the reformer, too, if I could afford it right now. But I can't and that's okay because the mat series is quite comprehensive. I'm just a little apprehensive about all-around clubs offering Pilates. In my experience, those "pilates" classes at gyms have been downright dangerous. But you should check into it.

Seriously, I'd do Pilates over weights if I had to choose. But be sure it's good Pilates.

I have a question: is there a quick test to see if your core strength is good or needs work?

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I have a question: is there a quick test to see if your core strength is good or needs work?
    Quick Test: do your back, hips, or shoulders ever hurt?

(only slightly kidding)

If you "fix your posture" so it is perfect, does it look different than how you normally stand? Does it feel like too much work?

Do you have a belly "pooch" that disappears when you "suck it in"?

Do you have the beginnings of a dowager's hump or old lady hump?

Do you lock your knees when you stand still?

Do you have stress incontinence? Peeing a bit when you laugh, sneeze, cough, jump, run, or really gotta go?

(not kidding at all)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-30-2010 at 06:39 PM.

+1 on Pilates! Helped my posture, my back pain, AND it was great post-accident & post-PT.

I do mat as well as reformer (& other apparatus). I find they complement each other very well. I tend to get stuck in my mat progress unless I can also do some closed chain work on the reformer as well. Plus it's just great for variety.

Pilates is best learned in one-on-one sessions or small groups. It's pricey, but the best instructors are worth it.
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

Do you have stress incontinence? Peeing a bit when you laugh, sneeze, cough, jump, run, or really gotta go?

(not kidding at all)
    I had read a few years back that doing regular core work can really help strengthen the PC muscle, since the entire torso (inside and out) will be stronger. And it's true. I have far fewer drippy issues (damned kid messed up more than just my uterus and skin!) when I am regularly doing core work.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quick Test: do your back, hips, or shoulders ever hurt?

(only slightly kidding)

If you "fix your posture" so it is perfect, does it look different than how you normally stand? Does it feel like too much work?

Do you have the beginnings of a dowager's hump or old lady hump?

Do you lock your knees when you stand still?

(not kidding at all)
    let's see:
    pain = sometimes.
    posture = yes (I have notoriously bad posture where DB is always telling me to straighten up).
    pooch = I have a stubborn belly pooch that I've always had and never seems to go away no matter what I do. I do not have a weight issue, but have always had a bit more jelly around the belly button than I like (bit of a muffin top).
    dowager's hump = thankfully no.
    lock my knees = never noticed, but most likely.
    stress incontinence = very thankfully no.

Quick Test: do your back, hips, or shoulders ever hurt? - lower back - rarely. Known for muscle spasms in around shoulder blade and stiff shoulders

If you "fix your posture" so it is perfect, does it look different than how you normally stand? Does it feel like too much work? Yes

I have the pooch that disappears, and the pooch (lower) that does not. The part that does not is in the same area as my long ago surgery - more recent surgery used the DaVinci machine)

Do you have the beginnings of a dowager's hump or old lady hump? Nope

Do you lock your knees when you stand still? I am actually unsure on this one, will pay attention

Do you have stress incontinence? Occasionally

Not that there was any doubt that I need more core work - but this was helpful.

Thanks Knotted - I wish that you were close enough that I could make an appointment with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post

Thanks Knotted - I wish that you were close enough that I could make an appointment with you!
    Don't we all! Who votes to clone Knott?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler