Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

WSD CX bike coming from Giant

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm working PT at an LBS and was flipping through our new 2011 printouts -- lo and behold, the first major brand to carry a women-specific cyclocross bike is about to arrive! It's not on Giant's consumer site yet, but there's a write up at CX Mag here. It'll be called the TCX W, due out August 1st.

Alas, it tops out in their size M, which is quite likely to be too small for me. OTOH, it'll keep my employee purchasing more under control.
    Sit bones = ~135 mm, saddles that work ~ 155cm/6.1 in wide
    2003 da Vinci (custom road/all-rounder)/Terry Butterfly Ti
    1994 Gary Fisher Nirvana (vintage MTB/commuter)/Terry Butterfly Chromoly
    1991 Terry Symmetry (NOS frame/fork, project in progress)
    1973 Raleigh Super Course (project in progress)

Cool! That white / black / blue color scheme is pretty sharp. That's about as in-depth as my commentary can get, but hey.
    '09 Jamis Satellite Femme | stock Jamis Road Sport -- road
    '08 Trek 7.2FX | Terry Cite -- commuter
    '77 Raleigh Grand Prix mixte | stock Brooks (vinyl) -- just for fun!

I feel kind of sad that Terry isn't considered a major brand. (Even though I know it is quite small compared to the big four) Especially since Georgena really started the whole WSD thing. She's had a WSD cyclocross bike for quite a while.

Of course, now the Terry company is owned by Vermont Teddy Bear... which really kind of freaks me out. I've been a Terry fan since the mid 1990's, when most of her bikes were custom.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Yup, those are them.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Terry's had a small cross bike for a year or two at most...... and its very expensive (for a cross bike).

Of course the Giant didn't have a price listed, so its possible that it is very expensive too.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    Terry's had a small cross bike for a year or two at most...... and its very expensive (for a cross bike).
    Is that one made by Waterford? Mmmmmm.... Waterford.... <said in best Homer Simpson voice>

I love my Waterford cross bike, but there's no way I could ever have afforded it brand new. Couldn't afford the Terry either.

I guess a lot of my sadness around Terry is that watching the "Terry Company Arc" over the years has made me feel old. Like watching a puppy grow up and become an old dog (and get put to sleep).

Vermont Teddy Bear. Phhht.
    (pardon me as I become dour and bitter and sulk for a while)

Yup - made by Waterford - $3200 msrp..... ouchie...
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Yeah, Waterford is hard to beat, and the steel tubeset is pretty top-notch...but ouchie for SURE on the price point. I'm pretty sure you could go custom with a smaller builder with high-end steel and beat that price on a similar spec.

I hear you on the Terry/VT Teddy thing. I want the company to stick around, and I know that the bikes haven't been their mainstay for a long time. But really? Teddy Bear Co? And while I'm receptive to some of their recent marketing efforts (pro deal Mondays!) I CANNOT STAND the new logo colors. (Pink and red together always makes me nauseous!)

I'm happy to see that my post on Bike Rumor about the Giant got them to acknowledge that Terry was first though.

The Giant TCX W is going to be WAY cheaper though - about 1/2 the price ($1650ish depending on where you are). Yeah, made in China, yeah, aluminum frame, and a "who knows" Giant/Formula wheelset. But a respectable spec -- almost all SRAM Rival with Avid Shorty 6s. Although the sloping top tube isn't what I'd want for dismount/carrying, they did flatten the top tube for easier shouldering, which is cool.

And Giant-sponsored mountain/CX pro Kelli Emmett helped with the design, and just the fact that Giant supports a local (world class!) female racer makes me appreciate them more than the other big four at the moment.

saw one in person....

It's really a nice looking bike - the blue highlights pop with some sparkle in the paint, and overall it just seems....serious, in a good way. I think the flattened top tube will definitely improve shouldering, though the one I tried it on in the store was pretty small for me . Avg retail at $1650. Specs on the Giant website, pretty decent overall.