Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

WSD vs. unisex...components?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Here's something I have been wondering. I have a body shape that is generic enough that I could probably do just as well on a "men's" bike (maybe better, since proportionately my legs are short relative to my torso), so the deciding factor were the short-reach Shimano shifters on my Cannondale.

What I have wondered is if big companies (Cdale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.) ever sell the frames without components, so that one could be a bit more selective about the bells-n-whistles. For instance, a unisex frame with reach-adjustable SRAM shifters, instead of the stock Shimano ones.

When I look at all of the manufacturers' websites it appears that the bikes always come as a package deal with only the choice of compact double or triple crank.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Can you buy a frame (stock) and then build up the components you want? That's what I did. I have a "men's" frame, with Ultegra triple, short reach shifters, and 165 mm cranks. I also bought my own short and shallow drop bar.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Can you buy a frame (stock) and then build up the components you want? That's what I did. I have a "men's" frame, with Ultegra triple, short reach shifters, and 165 mm cranks. I also bought my own short and shallow drop bar.
    How did you do this? Is this something the LBS guys can order just as a bare frame and fork, then apply one's components of choice?
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

I've generally bought frames used (or new) off craigslist, here, or ebay. I know surly and soma and a lot of the steel manufacturers sell frames alone...

violetpurl Guest
    Doesn't Trek give you this option with their Project One program?

I just learned something interesting...Cannondale has an upgrade program where they will buy back used frames on trade towards new ones--customers keep their original components. This is likely what I would end up doing, as I have been very happy with my Cannondale (and our LBS, which is owned by a dear friend) and my Shimano 105 guts with the shorter-reach shifters. Eventually I could swap out SRAM components when my Shimano stuff needs replacing.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Yes, what you said is exactly what I did. The shop had the frame I wanted, with different components. I took the cassettes and cranks off of my old bike, they ordered me the R700 brifters, and I bought the bars for them to put on.
    Of course my bike is a more "boutique" brand, but it was not more expensive than some of the Treks you are looking at.
    They wanted me to be a happy customer...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    I just learned something interesting...Cannondale has an upgrade program where they will buy back used frames on trade towards new ones--customers keep their original components. This is likely what I would end up doing, as I have been very happy with my Cannondale (and our LBS, which is owned by a dear friend) and my Shimano 105 guts with the shorter-reach shifters. Eventually I could swap out SRAM components when my Shimano stuff needs replacing.
    I did not know that! They changed the geometry since I got my Synapse and I believe the new ones would fit me better. I am okay with the 105 on my bike, as long as the front derailuer is in tune everything works great.

Most shops around here will switch out a few components like shifters, you might have to pay a small amount.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Specialized only sell there S-Works frames without components as it is expected that if you wanted to "custom" build the components, you are at the top of the range buyer- it's cheaper to buy bike packages as they have brought at bulk pricing off the component manufacturer.

Alternative is to take a bike, sell the bits you don't want off it (as unused) and use the money to buy the parts you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Stoker View Post
    Alternative is to take a bike, sell the bits you don't want off it (as unused) and use the money to buy the parts you want.
    I had thought about that option, as well. Hmmm...
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    What I have wondered is if big companies (Cdale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc.) ever sell the frames without components, so that one could be a bit more selective about the bells-n-whistles. For instance, a unisex frame with reach-adjustable SRAM shifters, instead of the stock Shimano ones.

When I look at all of the manufacturers' websites it appears that the bikes always come as a package deal with only the choice of compact double or triple crank.
    Most companies offer the higher end models as framesets too: frame, fork, headset, seatpost clamp, andseatpost if it's integrated or semi-i. Then you buy the group of your choice and build it.
    Lower end models often come only as complete bike. So it depends on what you are trying to buy.
    If you are a regular customer of your bike shop just ask them - they may be able to order the frameset, or even offer to exchange some components.
    Or, depending on how much discount you get from the shop - you may actually save some money by buying the complete bike, rebuilding with the group of your choice, and selling the unwanted group.
    But, the easiest and painless way is to just buy a frameset and all the components of your choice, and then build the bike.
    Good luck!
    E.'s website: www.earchphoto.com

2005 Bianchi 928C L'Una RC
    2010 BMC SLX01 racemaster
    2008 BMC TT03 Time Machine
    Campy Record and SSM Aspide naked carbon on all bikes

Quote Originally Posted by TxDoc View Post
    If you are a regular customer of your bike shop just ask them - they may be able to order the frameset, or even offer to exchange some components.
    Or, depending on how much discount you get from the shop - you may actually save some money by buying the complete bike, rebuilding with the group of your choice, and selling the unwanted group.
    But, the easiest and painless way is to just buy a frameset and all the components of your choice, and then build the bike.
    Good luck!
    That's a thought. Our LBS is owned by a close friend. He always gives us a really nice discount on the big stuff. That would allow me to sell my original frame, alone, or even hang onto it for DS to grow into in a few years. Luckily it's not a super girly color scheme.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3