Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataboo View Post
    Let me guess - you took the sailing ship cruise?
    No, we skipped the Margaret Todd and kayaked in Southwest Harbor. I recognized the two houses that you photographed because we went right past them.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    And what exactly is she gripping in her, er.. wings? In the first pic it looks a little like that ninja weapon thingy except it's missing the rope.
    I missed that entirely, I was boobnityzed.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Camping on Mockhorn Island:

The silhouette gets Arch Nemesis Duck:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ImmunoGirl/MockhornIsland#

Lincoln Quoddy Light
    That surely is a sleek black beauty. I can't justify it though. I think the new camera rates higher on the want list
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Lincoln Quoddy Light
    That surely is a sleek black beauty. I can't justify it though. I think the new camera rates higher on the want list
    That's a great price for the weight of that. I met the owner of Lincoln Canoe & Kayak when in Maine - very nice guy.

What kind of gear should I have to paddle at this time of year? I feel like I should have a jacket of some sort now. Not that I have free time, but perhaps it would be good to make note of for Christmas. I know that stuff isn't cheap, so it's good present request material.

The water temperatures are changing fast - it's already down in the 60's around here.

You can google full on drysuits - but those are $500+ - if you want to paddle all winter, that's what you need.

Otherwise I'd at the minimum recommend a farmer john wetsuit & a semi dry or dry top to go on over it. Neoprene gloves or some pogies for your hands. I use the outdoor research seatle sombrero in cold water - waterproof with some insulation. You could use a neoprene hood instead.
    http://www.rei.com/product/238313
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...1&pdeptid=2330

Then get a paddle jacket to go over it. Paddle jackets come without latex gaskets, with them on neck & wrist, or with them on wrists only. Latex gaskets stop the water from coming in - if you have a paddle jacket without them at the wrists, usually eventually you'll have water get scooped up by your sleeve and then trickle down to your elbow and shoulder when you paddle. It's not so much fun when that water is really cold. So I actually have one of each - a goretex one without gaskets that gets put on in summer months when it gets windy or rainy, but it's very comfortable 'cause I don't have elastic bands around my wrists. If I fall in, I'm getting wet.

Then I've got a hooded one with a zipper at the neck and wrist gaskets - this one's my main fall or bad weather jacket. The hood and the neck is comfortable - the wrist gaskets stop water from going up my sleeve. Yes, if I fall in, I'm getting wet.

Then for colder, I've got a drytop with wrist & neck gaskets, and dry pants with waterpoof socks built into it. The weak spot is the layering at the waist, but I haven't found a drysuit I can afford.

So - basically, you want to dress for the water temperatures and not the air temps - if you fall in (and yes, I know you have no intention of falling in and probably will never do so, but you want to be survive it if it does happen for some reason), hypothermia can be quick in cold water. Carry a drybag will dry clothing with you when you go out. I like polartec powershield because it's a warm fleecy layer that stays warm when wet. Mysterioso makes some paddling layers out of something similar to it, and rei has their house brand of powershield stuff. Anything nylon absorbs water and holds it when it gets wet - polypropylene doesn't absorb water - so polypro layers are better. I've got some ripcurl polypro rashguards that are very warm when wet (or not). Primaloft stays warm when wet, down loses its insulating qualities when wet. So I have a packable primaloft hat, booties, and puffy jacket that go with in the kayak if I'm camping, and if I'm paddling in the cold... If you do happen to get wet, being able to get to shore and putting on warm dry layers is very important.

Here's some links:
    http://www.paddleboston.com/advice/d...rcoldwater.php

http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pa...dwater-1.shtml

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?95

I shoulda named this thread show us where cat paddled.

Fall color:

Cold water boot camp video on hypothermia:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

Paddling over in Blackwater for the Wild Goose Chase:

Fall on the Triadelphia:

Last edited by Cataboo; 10-20-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Stalking racoons:

Stopping to put on a warmer layer:

Stalking wild turkeys:

Sunset & moonrise:

Georgous!
    Livin' for summer...

I know this is an old thread but is anyone kayaking this summer?

This was taken on a beautiful calm morning a couple of weekends ago on a small bay on the northern shore of Lake Superior. So peaceful !!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00042.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	13593  

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm still kayakless. Big bummer. I will only pay cash for one, though, and at the moment my cash is otherwise occupied. Beautiful photo!

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I'm still kayakless. Big bummer. I will only pay cash for one, though, and at the moment my cash is otherwise occupied. Beautiful photo!
    Tulip, sorry to hear you're kayakless - but I feel exactly the same about only paying cash!

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."