Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A no-sugar ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Maybe somebody can better educate me. I will freely admit that I don't monitor my diet like I probably should. I do eat a lot of fresh veggies, beans, legumes, fruit and (mostly) lean proteins. When given a choice, I go with whole grains and low fat dairy. But I also like my sweets, so I'm not an authority on low versus high glycemic foods, and certainly not as it relates to cycling.

I certainly appreciate needing or wanting to limit refined sugars and HFCS, but isn't there a place for high glycemic foods (be they naturally or unnaturally occuring) during endurance activities like cycling? I know one goal is to make sure what you eat on the bike is easiliy digestible, in part so that you get the use of that energy sooner rather than later, but also in part to avoid stomach upset. For really long rides, it seems to me that a mix of high and low glycemic might be the way to go, but I'll admit that I never really think about it in those terms when I ride. If the ride is long enough, I'll likely eat every 15 to 20 miles anyway. Minus nuts, I rarely eat much protein when I ride. It just doesn't sit as well with me.
    There are some people who can eat right without monitoring everything.

I am not one of them. If you are then I'm jealous!

I like protein on a ride. But fatty rich protein like nuts would make me throw up.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I understand why some people have to monitor everything they eat, although I'm not one of them, at least not yet. That wasn't the point of my question. Rather, I'm just trying to understand whether there's actually a legitimate purpose for high glycemic, rather than low, foods during a long ride or other endurance activity. When my energy starts to wane during a ride, I typically want a food with quick-release energy (I like bananas, personally) that's also easily digestible.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher