Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

What do you think about WSD?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in the market for a new road bike. There is an astonishing lack of choice for WSD here. Unless you want something flowery with curly writing, which I don't. I like the aggro look of mens bikes.

I'm frustrated by the lack of choice and I'm wondering... how essential is it to get a woman's specific design road bike? Does anyone here ride a mens and find it comfortable?

Specialized would really be my only option for the price I'm looking at. There is a Bianchi I could get but again, the look of the bike isn't that great with the mens equivalent being a much sexier bike.

So how essential do you think WSD is? I am going to go for test rides of both

It depends on your proportions. I know there are TE'ers with "men's" bikes who are perfectly comfortable. If, however, you have relatively long legs and a relatively short torso and arms, you'll probably find WSD bikes more comfortable.
    I'm one of those people who needs a WSD bike. I've ridden the unisex equivalent of my bike, just a few years older. That hurt. Your mileage may vary. Take 'em both for test rides. That'll give you your answer. Just don't try to convince yourself a bike fits or doesn't based on its looks.

Of course, I hear you on the colors and designs. Eek. I want a little aggression in my bike. My Giant does have a teeny swirly thing on it, but it's easily overlooked.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

It's just a matter of fit.

Some women can wear men's jeans. Other women, no way no how.

Some women can ride men's bikes. Other women, ditto.

Try them both out. See which fits you better.

But I don't know about the look. What brands have you looked at? I was just sitting on some Trek WSD bikes at an expo today and there was nothing flowery about them. Nothing flowery about my WSD Cannondale either. Mine is royal blue, white and clearcoat over the black carbon, a pretty gender-neutral color scheme. Bianchi, well, that celeste looks girly to me whether it's on a man's bike or a woman's. To my eye, Orbeas are seriously "aggro," as you put it, in either the WSD or the men's. Felts are beautiful and not at all girly.

More useful to complain that many manufacturers don't sell a complete bike with the highest-end componentry; but honestly, I think that's more because women are more particular than men about what they buy, and if we're spending that kind of money, we're going to build a bike up exactly the way we want it.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

The Synapse is in fact high on my list for the next "Go fast' bike. If it fits.
    I'm starting to think, though, that the further down you go in components, the girlier the frame color becomes...
    Last edited by Owlie; 07-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.

My 2010 Cannondale Synapse 5 Féminine isn't too girly (though there are little, subtle scrolly details in the white paint that no one notices unless I point it out):
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

That's matching root beer, right?
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Doesn't WSD refer specifically to Trek? I think it's a trademark.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    That's matching root beer, right?
    Yes. Um...no. That inspired my bike's name (Oberon) and orange bar tape, though.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

WSD - I will always think of Georgena Terry.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I know, I thought it was a weird name too.

But there are definitely worse body parts you could name a bike after.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    But there are definitely worse body parts you could name a bike after.
    *snort*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

My Felt FW40 is only girly where I made it girly... I'd call the saddle bag girly (I got it from TE) and the bar tape has hints of pink... but the stock tape was black.

It does have some tiny details with flowers around the "Fit Woman" logos (like the top of the seat stays where the black transitions back to orange), but they're maroon colored, and tiny, so it doesn't really immediately scream "girl's bike" at you.

I adore my Felt

HOWEVER, I currently have this Trek (it's an '06 model, and a men's bike, and not the same size as the image..) at my house and apart from the horizontal top tube (which means less standover height), the "fit" is very similar on the two.. I can ride either just fine.. my felt at a 47cm frame has a 52.5cm top tube, and the felt is a 50cm with a 53cm top tube.. the difference is fairly insignificant.. easily fixable, anyways. I'll be riding it when I visit Hawaii in two months, then leaving it for my sister... it's "her" bike, and we expect it will fit her fine too (with some tweaking).

And yes, we both happen to really like orange
    Last edited by sarahspins; 07-24-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    '08 Felt FW40 w/ Brooks b68's'
    '77 Takara Mixte (errand bike) w/ Brooks b68's'

Measure your sitbones! Mine: 6 5/8" (168mm)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahspins View Post
    And yes, we both happen to really like orange
    OMG, it's my favorite color! *swoons* If I could have a custom bike it would be orange with flames. And maybe red handlebar tape. *sigh*
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    OMG, it's my favorite color! *swoons* If I could have a custom bike it would be orange with flames. And maybe red handlebar tape. *sigh*
    I want an orange Luna.. someday
    '08 Felt FW40 w/ Brooks b68's'
    '77 Takara Mixte (errand bike) w/ Brooks b68's'

Measure your sitbones! Mine: 6 5/8" (168mm)

While she's teal, my Giant doesn't look terribly girly. The black bar tape and saddle (as opposed to the white that was on the internet) help.

I want an orange or red bike as my next go-fast bike. Or, if I went insane and had $8,000 to spend on a bike, I could get a 6 Series Madone... (Yes, I'm playing with the Project One thing right now...)

Re componentry vs. colors: I've certainly noticed it with Giant. The year I bought my bike, you could get the Avail 3 in teal or in gold (which looked kind of tacky, IMO). The 1 came in green or red. This year, the 3 comes in sky blue or black/"sangria", which is a deep red-purple. The 1 comes in white or orange. The carbon version comes in black. I've noticed it too with Cannondale, but not to the same extent.
    Last edited by Owlie; 07-24-2010 at 05:23 PM.