Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Talking

To disable ads, please log-in.

First I think that a lot of us women and vego's have low iron, but its usually a sub-clinical problem.
    I also have a paranoid and unsubstantiated theory that the FDA and similar stats are too high
    I occasionally take a bottle of Floradix (pregnancy,weird periods, chemo and other extenuating circumstances)
    Generally I try to have one of my meals iron-rich and with fresh stuff (for the Vit C) and no dairy to interfere
    BTW -
    ( without wishing to re-open silliness in this thread like I did with the blueberries and the sexy ninja food technologist)

Isn't dark chocolate rich in iron?

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Yes!!! Chocolate does have iron (and a host os other essential things...)

Yes!!! Chocolate does have iron (and a host of other essential things...)
    Here... some out-takes from my favourites folder...

These are some levels of nutrients in 100 g dark chocolate: 5.3 g protein, 397 mg potassium, 63 mg calcium and 3.2 mg iron. Chocolate also contains some vitamins.
    Chocolate contains large amounts of antioxidant polyphenols, which can help to prevent oxidative damage to our cells and reduces the risk of heart disease and cancer. Chocolate contains antibacterial compounds which can help to prevent tooth decay.
    Eating chocolate releases endorphins, which act as pain reliever, in our brain. Chocolate does not cause acne. Dark chocolate is more healthier than milk chocolate.

http://www.soya.be/recipes/chocolate-pudding.php

General sweetness aside, there are various chemical elements specific to chocolate that may help to stimulate cravings. In fact, chocolate contains over 300 chemicals and it is not known how all of these affect humans.
    Many women report particular chocolate cravings when pre-menstrual. This is possibly because chocolate contains magnesium, a shortage of which can exacerbate pre-menstrual tension. Similar cravings during pregnancy could indicate mild anaemia, which chocolate's iron content may help to cure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/hottopi...ddictive.shtml

Chocolate contains essential trace elements and nutrients such as iron, calcium and potassium, and vitamins A, B1, C, D and E.
    Cocoa powder is also the highest natural source for Magnesium - Magnesium deficiency is linked with hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, joint problems and pre-menstrual tension (PMT or PMS).
    It is a pre-menstrual drop in progesterone levels which is responsible for the violent mood swings familiar to so many women and their families, adding magnesium to a sufferers diet has been proved to increase pre-menstrual progesterone levels, reducing or eliminating the problem.

http://www.hub-uk.com/interesting/healthy-chocolate.htm

Chocolate is rich in carbohydrates and a sustained energy source. It also contains small amounts of the stimulating alkaloids theobromine and caffeine.
    The milk in chocolate provides more zinc, potassium niacin and riboflavin than plain milk, while plain milk has more calcium, protein and Vitamin B.
    Needless to say milk chocolate with almonds and peanuts has more calcium, iron and riboflavin, than plain milk chocolate.

http://www.kraft.com.au/confectioner...late.fantasies
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 01-07-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

and just to confirm it...

And here is an article I just found... current (2005)... when I googled "chocolate iron"

Like we need confirmation that we must eat chocky?

Can a chocolate a day keep the doctor away?
    March 18, 2005
    Chocolate may be a dieting sin, but as well as being addictive, it can be good for you. EMMA POMFRET finds some facts to delight chocoholics
    IT SOUNDS far too good to be true, but chocolate could be good for you. In fact, according to Chantal Coady, author of Real Chocolate and owner of London confectioners, Rococo Chocolates, chocolate is one of the most nutritious and easily digested foods known.
    ''It contains a multitude of vitamins, minerals and complex alkaloids, all of which enhance health and well-being, '' she explains. ''The iron in chocolate also comes in a form 93 per cent useable by the body, with the oxalic acid helping bond the iron and calcium.'' In fact, she believes that chocolate is so beneficial to our general good health that she has recently called for her products to be made available free of charge on the NHS, to treat patients suffering from pre-menstrual tension (PMT) and depression.
    And if that wasn't enough, there also is a naturally occurring antidepressant in chocolate called phenylethylamine (PEA), which increases the serotonin levels in the brain, according to Coady.
    PEAs can induce a euphoric state, as well as boosting energy levels and mental alertness, and are commonly found in 'love-addicted' women, while lower PEA levels have been discovered in people who suffer from depression.
    ''Chocolate affects the hormones in the brain in a similar way to morphine, and so can relieve pain, '' says Coady, who adds that although Prozac is used to treat depression by raising serotonin levels, it also has many well-documented side effects and is highly addictive.
    ''Real chocolate, however, acts as an instant antidepressant, '' she smiles.
    ''Even its smell can have a calming effect on the brain - chocolate also contains theobromine and valeric acid.'' Theobromine is a stimulant similar to caffeine, which stimulates the brain, muscles and central nervous system, and has also been shown to lower blood pressure. Fine chocolate can actually help lower your cholesterol.
    She adds: ''Chocolate is also rich in flavinoids - also found in red wine - and other chemical compounds known to reduce the likelihood of deep vein thrombosis and strokes.'' UNDER THE WRAPPER Chocolate contains the following vitamins and minerals, vital for overall good health and well-being:
    Vitamin A1 Vitamin B1 Vitamin B2 Vitamin C Vitamin D Vitamin E Calcium Copper Chromium Iron Magnesium Phosphorous Potassium Sodium Zinc
    ''There is strong evidence that replacing desserts with good chocolate can actually help weight loss and diabetes, '' she says, citing the book, A Chocolate A Day Keeps The Doctor Away, by Dr John Ashton and Suzy Ashton

http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/...es/180305.html

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".