Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tlkiwi
    Long time, no see Snappy. How's things?

I do miss seeing pineneedles and sand and the sea and stuff.
    Hey tlkiwi, things here are shweeeet! Due to circumstances, have moved from North Shore to Central Auckland, so traffic dodging at the moment & heading for the country as much as I can! Worryingly, have slowly fallen in love with your homeland. This was NOT supposed to happen!!
    V.excited at the moment as all trained up for the Hamilton to Auckland 100km on Sunday - my first major race, and with up to 3000 participants, I can't wait!!!!
    Are you enjoying London? I sense you pining for the tracks and trails of home?

Sorry don't mean to hijack this thread, or go OT.
    Life is Good!

London is going well. It's a wonderfully diverse place with masses to see and do, but I will cop to missing the scenery at home more than I meant to. It's pretty hard on a lovely summer evening when you can't just call up one of your friends and pile in someone's car and head for the beach. *sigh* There's not that many places in the world where you can be in the ocean in 20mins or up in the mountains taking your first run of the day in 2hrs. What can I say, there's lots of places I'd like to live, but I'll always. be a Kiwi!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

What do I see?

Banana peels! I am amazed at how many banana peels people throw from the car window. On my short ride to work, six miles, I have sometimes counted up to ten banana peels and that's just on my side of the road! Right now, with every major and some minor routes in north Spokane at some stage of road construction, gravel is my biggest pet peeve. I'm almost to the point of pulling out the comfort bike just for the saftey of the wider tires. When I do head out into the countryside its pine trees and lots of white tail deer. You can image how much fun deer are when they dart out in front of you! But since most of my everyday riding seems to be in town its cars, cars and more cars! Bikerhen

While road riding: gravel, bungee cords (go figure), detritus from logging trucks, hills, mountains, the sweat in my eyes, lakes, more hills, people who ride without helmets, discarded beer cans (lovely. Just lovely)

While mountain biking: roots, rocks, narrow bridges & planks that call my name (sometimes I listen, sometimes I don't), bears (black), kamikaze voles, mountains, singletrack, sweat in my eyes, uphills, downhills, my companions, other riders, wasp nests

BikerHen - that is so weird! After reading the post this morning, I went out for a ride along the bays. As I was pedalling along in my happy place, it suddenly came to me - banana peels, "I should have said banana peels"!!
    I swear to god that one day I'll slip on one, and then won't I feel stupid?!

tlkiwi - I'm sure I heard somewhere that the average Kiwi lives no more than 40km from the ocean. How cool is that?!!
    Life is Good!

sun, asphalt, glass, cars and trucks. buildings and landscaping designed to make it either look like not a desert, or take advantage of desert plants.

when i vary my routes to include climbing: quail, cottontails, lizards, and moving bushes/shrubs, and our lovely mountains, sajuaro, and brownish shrubs/trees.

occassionally, other riders!

Road: looking up: mountains, sky, lots of friendly bikers; down: glass, gravel.
    Mountain: cholla balls, rocks, quail, kangaroo rats, cottontail and jack rabbits, turkey vultures, and rarely other humans (I know some secret places!)

I thought yellow was going to post here and say that she was even seeing roots and sand in her dreams.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Mountain: Dirt, trees, deer, squirrels, roots, and massive webs coverng entire branches (fall webworm I think)...yuck!

The other day while mountain biking I saved a chipmunk. A hawk and just came down to get the poor fellow and got freaked out when I turned the corner. The hawk and chipmunk fled in seperate directions.

Road: Cars, trees, tons of dead/dying trees (caused by emerald ash borer, such a sad site to see) grass, and lots of badgers (or something that resembles a badger)

YEA for the chipmunk Salsa!!!!

I was on a ride last weekend and saw a large bird flopping around in a field next to the road, my first thought was "oh, poor thing is hurt", I started to go see if I could help and saw the reason for it's "balance" issues...the bunny in it's talons. I know, I know, it's the circle of life but it's still icky.

Electra Townie 7D

what tlkiwi sees "Concrete, asphalt, cars, buses, taxis, bricks, traffic lights..." broken glass....but it's all good.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Anyone ever see random single shoes lying in the road or at the kerbside?

I often wonder a) where they've come from and b) how on earth did the person wearing them not notice they'd lost a shoe!! I know I have some dizzy days, but I'm sure I'd wake up if I was walking along and suddenly found one of my shoe was missing.

Smile

Great thread!

I see horses, dogs (!), hawks, blue herons, buzzards (!!), turtles, men fishing from bridges, the backside of my SO, squished little furry things (eewwww)...sometimes just miles and miles of peanut, cotton and corn fields.

sadly.... i think the thing i see most (other than desert landscape) is dead rabbits .... next most... dead little gopher thingys (about mouse sized)....

It squished tomato time on the roads now. Makes an interesting and ever changing obstacle course.

On the trails, it's star thistle.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.