Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Skills for mastering narrow things on the track

To disable ads, please log-in.

Howdy,

I need some techincal help and in this instance pics would help but i'm sure you'll understand.

On a few of the trails down dis a way, we have some interesting narrow spaces through trees etc. to navigate through and often feel in a panic and unsure of how to approach them. Good thing there's a b line .
    One tree in particular that i'm dying to get through is very narrow at the bottom-almost shaped like a V-and has very little room for error. (it's on flat ground)
    Another one is round a fairly narrow windy corner..

Any ideas, youtube links, etc would be great.

Hey CC! If it's really narrow, train yourself to focus on the trail where you WANT to go. Don't look at the tree, obstacle, etc, because that will focus your attention there instead of where you want to go.

I do this for narrow bridges - look not AT the bridge, rather at the exit where I want to end up.

That said, there are times where you do need to focus on the obstacle. For instance, if the tree encroaches, and you may need to move just slightly to avoid hitting bars, still look at your exit as your focus, but know that you may need a little wiggle room. I would also be off my saddle in this instance - just in case .

Not sure if this makes sense, but it works for me!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

We have a few of those really narrow tree things here too. I do what SheFly said- look through the obstacle, and butt slightly off the saddle. I tend to take these things fairly slowly, but with enough momentum to keep good balance.

Having bars that are the proper width for my shoulders really helps too. When I was riding too-wide bars, I hooked every tree on the trail.

tanks

Thanks ladies

I have a trail in mind to do some work on "narrow" stuff & will see how i go.

New bike=regaining confidence!

There is also a the knack of not going straight through the opening, but approaching at a slight angle so that you can turn your handlebars a little bit so that you don't hook them.

The butt off the saddle thing forces you to use your body to counterbalance any angled moves you might might by weaseling your way through, preferable at slow speed, perhaps having to turn the handlebars as above.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    There is also a the knack of not going straight through the opening, but approaching at a slight angle so that you can turn your handlebars a little bit so that you don't hook them.

The butt off the saddle thing forces you to use your body to counterbalance any angled moves you might might by weaseling your way through, preferable at slow speed, perhaps having to turn the handlebars as above.
    I think I need a video, or Irulan to show me how it's done.
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

this isn't it exactly, but the concept is the same.

-You pick a line ( ie, look through the trees at the SPACE down the trail)
    - use body english and your slow riding skills to maneuver your bike through the slot. If you are out of the saddle, this forces you to use your body to counter balance the bike if you are making a slight slow turn.

In this image Cindy is out of the saddle, looking down the trail PAST where she is riding, using body english and balance skills to counter balance wherever the bike is going. Slightly different trail issue, same skills.

2015 Liv Intrigue 2

yup

Irulan, that's the body position I think i try & do but don't do very well

The bit of trail you've shown us looks quite easy going down. Now imagine that same bit of trail without the ramp bit going over the log & that's mainly what we have down here...

I've been working on balancing on (on my knees) the swiss ball holding onto a pole (horizontally) in the hopes i'll get the exact core strength i need.

I'm off to play on a trail today

Girl I am going to see if I can find some photos or videos of the drills I have been taught ( and teach) to enhance what we call "body bike separation".
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Excellent demo of body bike separation which is what you'd be doing at slow speed to weasel your way through some trees. This is a GREAT video, don't be turned off by the freeride nature of it, the skills are all the same for any kind of mountain biking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAkBmcz40KM

a variation on the straight line b/b/s demo'd in the video is to ride in a circle-
    If you are going around to the left ( counterclockwise) angle your bike and get your hips and shoulders into it . Be in a medium-ish gear, slow circles, inside arm ( left) will be bent, outside arm straight, the bike is going to angle ( tilt outwards) and you are going to counter balance with your hips and shoulders. It really helps if your saddle is down so you aren't tempted to sit on it. I don't feel like i am explaining this well. The key is to feel your hips and shoulders moving into it, the wide/loose stance of the legs ( "cowboy stance" in the video) and moving separately from your bike, both fore/aft and side/side.
    Last edited by Irulan; 07-22-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I am having a lightbulb moment, thank you!
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

Excellent! Glad to help.

I am really glad I found that little video clip, it's pretty nifty.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I tell everyone just starting out to have a practice session in their yard (or on any grassy area) where they practice trackstanding. See how long you can hold your balance without pedaling.

This will help with the balance skills at slow speed - I can come to a stop without unclipping to get around/over obstacles if I need to. And I don't have to unclip when I'm road riding now either .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Thanks for posting the video. There's a lot of good singletrack in my town however much of it winds through heavily wooded areas where sometimes I'm not sure my handlebars are even going to fit through (I've clipped them more than a few times)! A guy at my LBS is cutting my handlebars down for me today--they're just too wide for my shoulders and I think it's affecting my ability to manuever switchbacks and tight spaces.

from what to what? Wider handlebars are more stable than narrow.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2