Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Chain tool for touring

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm in a dilemma about which (size) chain tool to buy.

I'd like to have one that can go on tour with me, when I'm *way* out from civilization. So, natural preference would be for something that is compact and lightweight.

But my mechanic says the compact/light ones don't always work well...or at all. She says get a bigger one and just put up with the heavier weight.

Thoughts here?

Specific brand recommendations?

If you have one that is smaller/lighter *and* works well, of course that would be the ideal!

Thank you...

Mariposa

I'd say use a SRAM powerlink chain and carry a couple of spare powerlinks. That way you only need the chain tool to get the chain apart, not to reassemble it. The chain tool in a multi-tool should be plenty for that (although I've never used mine, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt).
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We take the compromise....we carry a light one and a couple of Wippermann-type chain links. The theory is that if the chain breaks, we'll pop out the bad link and use the wippermann link to patch the chain. The chain tool doesn't have to be great--just good enough to pop the rivet.

I have the Topeak Survival gear Box. It's pretty compact and has lots of different tools - including a chain tool. The chain tool has been used at least twice out on the road and performed as expected.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

When I worked in a shop in the 70s, the only chain tools we had were the Cyclo Rivoli ones - small and with many sharp angles. They worked, but sometimes you needed some pain tolerance or to put a rag in your hand on tough chain. I wouldn't hesitate to carry something like that on a tour, or the Park Ultralight Chaintool. I definitely wouldn't carry a heavy professional grade chain tool.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72