Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELMETS! Who Has The Best Crash Replacement Program?!?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I recently busted my $130 specialized helmet I had for only 3 months or so and they sent me a louzy 20% off coupon! Does anyone know who has the best crash replacement program before I purchase a new one??

What, you plan to make a habit out of crashing?

I don't quite understand the logic here; since when does a helmet manufacturer owe you a replacement?

20% off seems pretty fair to me. if you don't want to shell out the bucks, get a less expensive helmet next time. Or don't crash again.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

It would be the least of my worries after a crash...

Lets talk about bike repair/replacement wheel repair/replacement after a crash first. Helmet is cheap. And oh medical cost, ambulance or helicopter ride... Too bad you can't enjoy or worse have no memories of riding in a helicopter (med-evac).

None of us plan on crashing. It's one of those things. It happens.

One thing though, it's not like the old days when Bell was the only manufacturer. Back then you might get a free replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    What, you plan to make a habit out of crashing?

I don't quite understand the logic here; since when does a helmet manufacturer owe you a replacement?

20% off seems pretty fair to me. if you don't want to shell out the bucks, get a less expensive helmet next time. Or don't crash again.
    Thanks for the input! Your reply was so helpful

Louis Garneau!!!!
    1st year crash replacement for free!!

That's right, if you crash within the first year of owning the helmet take it back to the shop and they send it back to LG. If the shop has one in stock they will trade you out on the floor, if they don't have the same model and color they will get one shipped asap.

Geez,
    It was just a question! Accidents happen and I happen to be okay just out a helmet that I spent a little bit of money on, And was asking a simple question because who knows, an accident might happen again then I can be covered. Thanks for making me feel like a complete jacka$$ for asking something I though was pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ehirsch83 View Post
    Louis Garneau!!!!
    1st year crash replacement for free!!

That's right, if you crash within the first year of owning the helmet take it back to the shop and they send it back to LG. If the shop has one in stock they will trade you out on the floor, if they don't have the same model and color they will get one shipped asap.
    THANK YOU! That is the kind of answer I was hoping to hear!!

Looks like you need to look for a Louis Garneau. It was my impression 20% is pretty standard. I haven't wrecked any of my Bell's when they weren't already close to replacement, so I didn't really care. I am pretty sure theirs is 20%. Probably the same for Giro since they are made by Bell.

I would be annoyed if I ruined a new expense helmet too but for me I wouldn't worry about the replacement if my head was saved. Truly it is humorous they even offer crash replacement policies, I know it is standard but I wonder what the logic behind it was? Brand loyalty? Congratulations you aren't a vegetable? I wish my car manufacturer would do that! If only DH had gotten 20% off a new car when he totaled his old one, man that would rock. Seriously, I understand the question and the annoyance just got me thinking about the bike industry and why they even do crash replacements. My parents are Harley riders, my Dad laid his bike down and cracked his helmet. He was okay but the helmet was a total loss, no discount on the replacement that I know of.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

giro sent me a sympathy card when I inquired about replacement cost after crashing. I came to in the ER briefly and again in the ambulance on the way to another hospital for observation for bleeding on the brain and a partially collapsed lung. Actually the 7 days in the hospital while they did x rays 2x a day to see if they were going to put in a chest tube or whether the lung would reinflate are pretty much gone as well but that might be drugs rather than memory loss.

I'm glad that you are ok, and I feel your pain about having to buy a new helmet, but please please, do not ride again until you get one.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Helmets! Who has the best crash replacement program?

I think as many have already offered, your health is the MOSt important piece of this puzzle. With that said, we are glad that you are not injured!!

Louis Garneau does indeed offer a crash replacement as others have mentioned. In fact, I have replaced helmets out of the shop for that very reason. The damaged helmets are generally used to pinpoint any issues or help their research teams in designing new helmets.

AS always, helmets do run a bit differently from brand to brand, so make sure that you find something that fits you.

Quote Originally Posted by VeloMel View Post
    THANK YOU! That is the kind of answer I was hoping to hear!!
    Don't feel stupid!
    I have crashed twice this year, both times needing new helmets! First crash I had a Giro replaced it with a LG. With my shop discount it made no sense for me to do the crash replacement from Giro. But... for me, a new helmet is a big expense. I didn't know about LGs replacement when I bought it, but I bought it because I liked how it fit, it comes down lower on the head then the Giro and made me feel safer.(In the earlier crash another riders pedal hooked up and under my helmet...)
    I crashed again in the LG and took it into the shop to see what the crash replacement was, that is when I discovered the swap out if it occurs in the first year- love it!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloMel View Post
    Geez,
    It was just a question! Accidents happen and I happen to be okay just out a helmet that I spent a little bit of money on, And was asking a simple question because who knows, an accident might happen again then I can be covered. Thanks for making me feel like a complete jacka$$ for asking something I though was pretty simple.
    Those of us who have been in very serious crashes could really care less about a helmet company's replacement program. We are thankful that we are alive and functioning relatively normally, even if we don't remember the helicopter ride. Your understanding of our point of view is appreciated, and we are glad you didn't have to experience the same thing.

What Tulip said. When I've landed on my head (after I regained consciousness, the one time), I've said to myself, "Thank goodness I spent the money for a helmet, how quick can I buy a new one?"
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I would be more concerned with who has the best crash protection! (Mainly, the one that fits YOUR head best!)
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

[QUOTE=Muirenn;522221]Marni, that's frightening! But you recovered well?

I hope so!

that was four years ago and I have since done three cross countries so I guess I am recovered, although my husband and daughter don't think my sanity is back completely.

this last winter was rough because I took two head hits and went through two helmets in two months. I am back to full strength and energy again and riding hard again and my husband and daughter are back to questioning my sanity.

Find a helmet that fits and screw fashion,

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."