Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierGiant View Post
    DH and I completed RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) --one day, one way, 160 miles. Rode to the starting line, did the ride, turned around and headed back to Knightstown -- 201 miles. My first double, which I vowed to complete before I turn 50 this summer. Hot and windy, but still a great experience!
    WOW- congrats!! I would love to do a double in one day. Perhaps before my 50th.

I tried to find out more information online. The comments on the new channel's websites were disgusting- blaming the victim instead of the murderer (I shouldn't have read them). WTH is wrong with our society when someone is murdered and we blame the victim? He was obviously an experienced cyclist (from the type of bike he was riding in the picture and the police said he was dressed in cycling attire). One of my friends who discovered him is having a difficult time. Fear shall not keep me from riding, but I know I'll be much more concerned when I ride out there from now on (it's on my regular route rotation).
    Last edited by Tri Girl; 07-17-2010 at 06:33 PM.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    WOW- congrats!! I would love to do a double in one day. Perhaps before my 50th.

I tried to find out more information online. The comments on the new channel's websites were disgusting- blaming the victim instead of the murderer (I shouldn't have read them). WTH is wrong with our society when someone is murdered and we blame the victim? He was obviously an experienced cyclist (from the type of bike he was riding in the picture and the police said he was dressed in cycling attire). One of my friends who discovered him is having a difficult time. Fear shall not keep me from riding, but I know I'll be much more concerned when I ride out there from now on (it's on my regular route rotation).
    I never read the comments on news websites anymore. It seems like the dregs of society love to show their ugly colors there, and I don't need further confirmation that those people are idiots. They just want to be controversial for the sake of it, and don't have a good sense of right from wrong. Know the rest of us are saddened by this loss.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

ANOTHER cyclist was murdered this morning while out on his morning ride. It happened 4 miles from the fatality yesterday. I was riding within a couple miles of today's accident. At least the driver today stopped and called police. 2 cyclists murdered in 2 days is unbelievable.
    I'm in shock.
    One wasn't going to keep me off my bike. Two in two days is probably going to keep me on my trainer for a couple weeks.

I wish the media would use this as an opportunity to educate the public about the legality of cyclists on the roads and remind drivers to pay attention. Instead, they just breeze over the story and just mention the gory details. C'mon media- educate the rednecks around here, PLEASE!

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

28 mile recovery group ride on what is now a regular Sunday thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Girl View Post
    ANOTHER cyclist was murdered this morning while out on his morning ride. It happened 4 miles from the fatality yesterday. I was riding within a couple miles of today's accident. At least the driver today stopped and called police. 2 cyclists murdered in 2 days is unbelievable.
    I'm in shock.
    Holy cow, Tri Girl, that is tragic! Where do you live?

Totally agree with your comments re. the media. I would definitely be shaken up by this if it happened where I cycle too...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

I live in Oklahoma City.
    Two deaths in two days. It's incomprehensible. The families want to be involved in a memorial ride that we're putting together later this week for the two men (ages 56 and 75).
    The media did a great job last night of informing the public of our rights as cyclists (and our responsibilities). I applaud them for that. We have a fairly big cycling community here, although most non-riders don't understand/don't want us on the roads. I've had two friends hit by cars in the last couple years by purposely aggressive drivers.

Charges haven't been filed against the driver from yesterday. The police said it appears to be an accident, with the sun possibly playing a role. To me- it doesn't matter. Charges SHOULD be filed (maybe not for manslaughter, but for not being in control of your vehicle or *something*). IMO To not file any charges at all sends a message that it's OK to kill someone if the sun is in your eyes, or you temporarily don't have control of your vehicle.
    Plus- the other guy isn't here to tell whether it was an accident or not...

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)

I woke up at 4am on Saturday to start the Seattle to Portland 2010 ride. I'm going to post more about it in the STP thread later, but it was fun! 202.77 miles later, and I'm still alive and not injured, whoohoo!!

-Jessica
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

20 miles of single track.

Bad crash at mile 5 I was riding a little too aggressively on the decent AND on a trail I'm unfamiliar with. My cleat hit a rock/tree/something going about 20 mph and it stopped my bike while I kept on going. I landed on my right shoulder. My entire arm is covered with cuts, scrapes and bruises.

I did keep riding and felt much better for the last 10 miles. Sore and achy today. I'll probably stick to the road bike this week and let my arm/shoulder heal.

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierGiant View Post
    DH and I completed RAIN (Ride Across INdiana) --one day, one way, 160 miles. Rode to the starting line, did the ride, turned around and headed back to Knightstown -- 201 miles. My first double, which I vowed to complete before I turn 50 this summer. Hot and windy, but still a great experience!
    Way to go, it was a hot one. I didn't ride this year (in no shape for 160 miles) but friends of mine did and they were exhausted...which only made me more excited to do it myself next year.

Quote Originally Posted by limewave View Post
    20 miles of single track.

Bad crash at mile 5 I was riding a little too aggressively on the decent AND on a trail I'm unfamiliar with. My cleat hit a rock/tree/something going about 20 mph and it stopped my bike while I kept on going. I landed on my right shoulder. My entire arm is covered with cuts, scrapes and bruises.

I did keep riding and felt much better for the last 10 miles. Sore and achy today. I'll probably stick to the road bike this week and let my arm/shoulder heal.
    Owie! Hope you're better soon

2011 Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (road)
    2010 Jamis Ventura Comp w/Selle SMP (road bike)
    2007 Fuji Absolute (hybrid)