Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question about Trek FX bike

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am looking on craigslist for another bike. There was a Trek FX size 17.5 listed (44.5 cm). I am bad with sizing. Right now I own a LOOK road bike that is 50 cm, a Specialized Dolce that is 48 cm, and a Trek mountain bike that is a 16. Do you think the Trek would fit? I want to try an more upright bike as my road bikes cause some neck/shoulder issues and my mountain bike never does.

Quote Originally Posted by runningteach View Post
    I want to try an more upright bike as my road bikes cause some neck/shoulder issues and my mountain bike never does.
    It might be more cost-effective to buy different stems to raise the bars of your road bikes a bit. My LBS sells used stems for around $5-$10, new ones about $20-$25.

I've done that with both my road bikes, and even a half inch can make a huge difference for neck and shoulders. (I'm assuming you are happy with your overall fit already on those bikes.)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 07-16-2010 at 01:51 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I guess I should just work with what I have and my bike shop already has me trying a shorter handlebar. I was thinking it might be good to be in the more upright position. It is frustrating to ride and have pain. Some of it is because I have lupus and my muscles get achy at times.

I guess I should just work with what I have and my bike shop already has me trying a shorter handlebar. I was thinking it might be good to be in the more upright position. It is frustrating to ride and have pain. Some of it is because I have lupus and my muscles get achy at times.
    I don't know if this is an option, but can you replace one of those road bars with a riser flat-bar? This can be an expensive conversion since it requires a conversion of shifters and brakes as well, but it is less than the cost of a new bike.

I recently did this to my touring bike and the difference was like night and day, it went from being, basically, not rideable to being my long-trip bike. Indeed the longer the trip the more comfortable I am on it. Just saying it might be worth considering if the shorter handlebar or longer stem doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.

Thanks Catrin for the idea. That sounds doable if I can't get my LOOK to be better. Also thought of getting slicks for the mountain bike because there are too many ticks around right now. I may do that with the Dolce since I don't ride that regularly anymore. It is my bad weather/trainer bike. The Trek FX is too big and would be a waste of money.

Thanks Catrin for the idea. That sounds doable if I can't get my LOOK to be better. Also thought of getting slicks for the mountain bike because there are too many ticks around right now. I may do that with the Dolce since I don't ride that regularly anymore. It is my bad weather/trainer bike. The Trek FX is too big and would be a waste of money.
    I wish you luck, whatever you decide - though simple approaches are always best to try first.

There were a few people who tried to talk me out of the conversion - including the head mechanic at my LBS - but not my fitter.

The Trek FX is a nice bike, I have the 2010 7.6 FX in the smallest size - but I think it is just a little too large for me - now that I have something with which to compare it. Am trying to decide if I want to spend yet more money for a re-fit and maybe go with higher riser bars to try and decrease my reach - or just give in and sell it - and replace it with something like a Jamis Coda, or some other steel flat-bar road bike to go along with The Wanderer.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-16-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    It might be more cost-effective to buy different stems to raise the bars of your road bikes a bit. My LBS sells used stems for around $5-$10, new ones about $20-$25.
    +1 to that
    More cost effective and a whole lot simpler
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Am trying to decide if I want to spend yet more money for a re-fit and maybe go with higher riser bars to try and decrease my reach - or just give in and sell it - and replace it with something like a Jamis Coda, or some other steel flat-bar road bike to go along with The Wanderer.
    How 'bout buying this frame: http://www.velo-orange.com/vomifrcoso.html or this frame: http://somafab.com/bvista.html or buying this rather expensive frame: http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/betty-foy/50-685 and transferring all the parts from the Trek to the new frame?

Voila, unique sexy steel flat-bar road bike you don't have to lean into the ground to step over!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Why oh why did you have to show me that VO frame! I could have bought that and stripped the Mariposa
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    How 'bout buying this frame: http://www.velo-orange.com/vomifrcoso.html or this frame: http://somafab.com/bvista.html or buying this rather expensive frame: http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/betty-foy/50-685 and transferring all the parts from the Trek to the new frame?

Voila, unique sexy steel flat-bar road bike you don't have to lean into the ground to step over!
    Hmmmm, an option I hadn't yet really considered... and the Surly Pacer frame is another option (though I might still have to lean that one over).. Regardless that would give me two sexy steel bikes I must say however that both the Soma and the Velo Orange are quite striking! The Rivendell is beautiful even though expensive.

I will have to look into this further - I am not in any hurry as I am enjoying the LHT so much - even if I have to lean it over - but will need to eventually do something about the Trek. Thanks!
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-16-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Gosh that Soma frame is nice!

Thanks for the advice ladies. I think I will work with what I have for now. I really don't need another bike.

I got a shorter, angled stem for my road bike last summer, and it has helped my shoulders a lot.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles