Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thank you ladies. I ordered the Brooks B 67 and now I'm afraid it may be too hard cuz everyone warned me about it taking too long to break in. My 2000 mile trip leaves in a week. Am looking at Terry Liberator cuz saw it at a shop today. Also saw Selle Lady Flo but this looks harder than Terry Lib. Don't know.
    Any further input? Thanks.

holland, you'll be fine. The B67 is hard like a wooden chair. any saddle is going to tire out your butt if you are not used to riding all day!
    a very big proportion of long distance riders are on Brooks saddles for a reason!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    holland, you'll be fine. The B67 is hard like a wooden chair. any saddle is going to tire out your butt if you are not used to riding all day!
    a very big proportion of long distance riders are on Brooks saddles for a reason!
    I agree, in a perfect world you would get some miles in before the big tour but over all I think you will be happy - fingers crossed the shape works well for you! Can't wait to hear the results.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Thank you ladies. I ordered the Brooks B 67 and now I'm afraid it may be too hard cuz everyone warned me about it taking too long to break in. My 2000 mile trip leaves in a week. Am looking at Terry Liberator cuz saw it at a shop today. Also saw Selle Lady Flo but this looks harder than Terry Lib. Don't know.
    Any further input? Thanks.
    I predict it will take about 200 miles to break in. After that, the break-in process continues, but it just gets better.

The first 200 miles could be uncomfortable, true. But I tried many painful saddles that didn't work. Had no chance of ever working. 5, to be exact, and I found a good saddle quickly compared to many. I needed a race saddle though, and didn't want Brooks for speed.

The majority of people who don't like Brooks give up too soon. Cush saddles may work at first; for a couple hundred miles. But it they don't happen to be right for you, then things progressively worsen. And chances are, you are not going to happen to choose the right one.

Ask yourself: do you want to be uncomfortable for the first 200 (during which time you are getting used to riding anyway, it does take conditioning), or uncomfortable for the last 1800?

I think this is accurate:

http://www.touringcyclist.com/gear/model_16877.html

Quote Originally Posted by ridingfiend View Post

Ask yourself: do you want to be uncomfortable for the first 200 (during which time you are getting used to riding anyway, it does take conditioning), or uncomfortable for the last 1800?

I think this is accurate:

http://www.touringcyclist.com/gear/model_16877.html
    well said, Ridingfiend; and welcome to TE!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

B67 or B17?

Thank you ladies for your input. I like the article, thanks Ridingfiend. Ok, I decided to stay with Brooks. Haha, I'm willing to handle 200m discomfort and getting 1800m+ joy. My next question is: B67 or B17? I just ordered a Surly Cross Check. It's shipping to my LBS and may get there by Friday. Then, I get to try it out for 2 days before having them disassemble and put back in the box to be brought on a plane. So I won't get a fair chance at testing out the B67, that got delivered today. Yikes...I'm super stressed. Still waiting for racks and panniers, etc to be delivered, too. Thanks.

Thanks Muirenn! I really appreciate your time to respond to me lengthly. I will print out your suggestions and take it with me.