Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Mt. Tam Century/Double Century or Marin Century/Metric/200k

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone doing any of these rides this year? So many options, so little time....

I just registered for the double. Who knows - I haven't done a double in 2 years, but I have a friend doing it and it is a good ride.

Anyway, who else will be out there?
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

three people from my area are doing the double as well. They are going for the Triple Crown. This will be their 3rd double. (They all finished the DR in fine style-one said training for doubles made the Death Ride easier-mentally for sure!)
    Nancy

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Sounds awesome. I've never been to Marin County, but I've seen photos and it's on my List Of Places To Ride My Bike.

I'm signed up for the Marin Century (which sounds so pathetic among all this talk of doubles).

The Marin Century is plenty hard.

Frankly I don't know that I can finish the double this year, but there are so many places you can cut the ride short, I am not too worried about it. It may just turn out to be a nice ramble.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Nancy I saw your guys throughout the day. The completed the double as far as I can tell.

Did anyone else do one of the rides? It was FREEZING yesterday most of the day. So foggy on Tam you couldn't descend normally.

I did 170 miles of the double and given that I haven't ridden in about a month (and that was only part of the Death Ride) I was pretty pleased. I took a 3 1/2 hour break from riding in the middle of the day, skipped one section and so I ended up being out on the course as long as if I had done all 200, so I got a bit of night riding. I was REALLY pleased with how much fun I had riding at night (we had 2 hours of dark in the am and one in the pm). That (apprehension about riding at night) was one key factor in not completing DMD last year. My fitness is pretty low, but I am thinking I might get my base up this fall and winter and do some brevets/doubles next year.

And for that 170 miles, I got to be domestique for a friend who needed that ride for her Triple Crown. So I felt really good about that.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Leave it to mp to talk about her fitness being pretty low and only completing 170 miles.

(love ya sweetie)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Yeah, scary to think what being fit means to MP.

Woefully unfit me did the traditional century. I hadn't done a ride over 40 miles since mid-June, so found the ride a bit tough. I also thought it was harder than the Mt. Tam century route, and the backside (or is it frontside?) of the Marshall Wall nearly killed me. The sun didn't come out until about mile 70, but I had my woolies on and stayed warm. It was a fun ride, and the food all along the course was great.

I thought the switched around route for both the double and the century was a lot harder than the usual route.

Think about Marshall Wall back side if you were at mile 165 doing the full double. I prefer dealing with headwinds and rollers (they were trying to lessen wind by changing the route) than late in the day awful climbs.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Oh god, mile 165!?! Mile 70 was killer enough. Double century riders really are awesome.

Did you guys see Lance Oldstrong? He was working a rest stop yesterday on his way to earning the 1,000 mile club jersey.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Daniel aka Lance Oldstrong & Curtis were working the rest stop at Pt Reyes, which I'm told was only on the Mt Tam double & century routes, but not the Marin century route.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Thanks MP! The guys were pretty stoked up about doing this double. But, they all did well on previous rides plus made it through the DR in fine shape. I hope they were nice to you as they whizzed by! I suspect the tallest of the group- Joe P was leading the pack. He's 66 now and still racing and riding strong.

Yeah, 170 miles aint no cake walk. And coming up the west side (I assume- that mean climb with the cattle guards) must have be a real fun challenge.
    Isn't that the Holstein route as well????

Ah for shortcuts. How I love those when I don't feel like doing more. Good thing you know your way around those parts especially since you had to do some "dark" riding. AND you said it was fun. My philosophy too. If it isn't fun why am I riding, right?

Like others said- I hate to think how strong you are even without being on the bike for awhile. Amazing.

Congrats to your friend - I trust she finished the course in time to qualify for TC. The BBC guys you saw were doing their 3rd double for the TC as well.
    Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Did you guys see Lance Oldstrong? He was working a rest stop yesterday on his way to earning the 1,000 mile club jersey.

Veronica
    I did see him. He recognized me which is good as I wouldn't have recognized him.
    (late response as we've been backpacking for the week).
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

And how was the backpacking?
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com