Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stp 2010

To disable ads, please log-in.

Congrats to all STP riders! Such an accomplishment. I think if I do do it next year, I will heed the advice and start early early early in the chilly morning rather than waiting for the crowds. The only time I ride in big groups is during triathlons, which isn't exactly the same. As with driving in the snow, it's not me I fear, it's the others around me. That one-day patch is pretty sexy, but I think finishing it at all is huge.

Very exciting!! Recover well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooZoo View Post
    What a great blog! I read all your ride reports and they were very inspiring to this semi-newbie. Great job.
    Thanks ZooZoo! As I mentioned earlier (and I will say it again) you and your friends did great! You didn't give up, you came back this year and you finished. Riding that far is an accomplishment and a feat not many can do. Again Congratulations to you, your friends, and to everyone else who rode in this year's stp!

And you are no dang newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Susan126 View Post
    Around Sumner I began looking for a Starbucks! Never saw one though. I was in need of a caffeine fix too lauraelmore1033!

Anyway, I wrote a more lengthy ride report at my blog . . .

My STP Ride Report

Also, I wonder if that guy finished with his "homemade" bike. Interesting people and bikes on the STP!
    Great story on your blog - you made it sound so easy Congratulations on your adventure - and you certainly had a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by lauraelmore1033 View Post
    Somewhere before puallup I passed an interesting looking three seater rig that looked home made. I remembered to take a picture of it at the rest stop in Spanaway.
    Oh my gosh!! Did you have the urge to punch these people in the face like me?! There were three people riding that thing, but it pissed me off that when they had to walk it up the Puyallup hill they were walking it right in the middle of the street, when there was room on the right side of them. Damn hipsters! haha
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

Oh, there were plenty of people I felt like punching in the face, but these guys didn't even make a blip on my punch-o-meter. Maybe if I'd been stuck behind them on "the" hill it would have been different. They probably didn't finish, if they were walking on the first day...

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Ha... probably not. Which brings up another reason to want to punch people. I hate the gimmick modes of transportation that don't intend to finish the ride but sign up anyways. If you start off planning to finish but can't for whatever reason, that's one thing. But don't sign up for something with limited space just to show off your stupid invention and then go home when you feel like it. There were lots of other people that actually wanted to do the whole thing! And hey, even though skateboarding dude and the portable ellipticals were somewhat annoying on the course, they actually finished!!
    "Namaste, B*tches!"

Quote Originally Posted by XMcShiftersonX View Post
    ... And hey, even though skateboarding dude and the portable ellipticals were somewhat annoying on the course, they actually finished!!
    Someone SKATEBOARDED STP!?!?! I cannot imagine what that must have been like - or how he finished in time. Guess I don't know much about that sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Someone SKATEBOARDED STP!?!?! I cannot imagine what that must have been like - or how he finished in time. Guess I don't know much about that sport.
    Oh, that guy has been around for a while. We first saw him on RSVP two years ago. He seems puzzled by the incredulous response he gets from bikers. Apparently zips up the hills with no problem, but I've never seen him on the hills, only on the flats.

Rodriguez Adventure
    Bacchetta Bellandare
    HPV Gekko fx
    Custom Rodriguez Tandem
    2009 Specialized Tricross
    2012 Trek Mamba

Memorable things I saw on the stp was the unicycle guy! I heard about him for years but I never saw him until this year's stp. And I saw a guy in a white shell that enclosed his recumbent. I passed him going up a steep hill but he passed me going down it! I also saw a lot of people with "things" on their bikes and/or themselves. A 12 inch tall T-Rex on the back of one man's bike, a big red flashing light on top of someone's helmet that had a spring that attached it to the helmet so it "bounced" and "bobbed" along as he rode, and I couldn't believe the riders who brazenly, shamelessly, boldly disregarded the "no ear buds" rule! This request was for their safety and the safety of all the other riders on the roads that day! I yelled on your left (and I yell loudly) to someone who apparently had the things in his ear and he of course did not hear me and almost weaved into me just as I approached. I said something to him regarding taking those dang things out of his ears but he probably didn't hear me! I was so mad at the idiot!

Susan, 730 finish! great!!! exceptional!

I did it!!!! What a great ride I had yesterday! We started the ride off with a very chilly overcast morning due to a thick marine layer that rolled in over night. I enjoyed all the rest stops . . . great food, well stocked, and friendly people at each and every one of them. I loved the route, although I did not like riding over that dang bridge that crosses over into Oregon (I hate that bridge) but I did like the the last minute route detour over the Steel Bridge (what a neat bridge). I was looking forward to going over the St. John's Bridge but the Steel Bridge was actually pretty neat. The sun finally came out just after Winlock, about mile 121. Once the sun came out it warmed things up nicely.

The last 25 miles were the worst of it. At that point I just wanted it to be over. It seems we always had a headwind (nothing new there!) Met some nice people on the ride. We would ride together for a bit then I would take off or they would take off. My hubby was waiting for me at the end of the ride. It was a zoo but he managed to get a good shot of me crossing the finish line at 7:37 PM on Saturday. I always enjoy the cheers as you come in and the announcer calling out your number! This year was especially nice because it was my first one day ride of the STP! I HAD A GREAT DAY!

Next was shower, food, and drink! Then home to bed! We decided not to stay in Portland the night and drove home. We got back at midnight. I had been up for 21 hours! Sleep came quickly! I feel pretty darn good this morning. My legs are a bit achy but other than that they feel fine. I'll rest today and probably get an easy 10-15 mile spinning ride in tomorrow. I need to rest and recuperate because in 11 days I have to do the RAMROD! Waiting to hear from everyone else!

Vader Ministop at mile 127. Only 25 miles to the Oregon border and 76 miles to the finish line.

I wonder why these pictures don't show???
    Here I am crossing the finish line on Saturday, July 17th. My hubby captured a great shot. He said he was worried but it turned out just fine.

I did it! Now it's time for FOOD and a SHOWER and an ice cold DRINK!

And finally my 1 day patch! I'm proud of this!

Almost forgot my mileage, average speed, and total time . . . . .

Miles: 203.19
    Average speed: 14.7
    Total time: 13.49
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Susan you one day riders are so far ahead of all that nonsense... !

Wow Jessica what a ride you had! I did not see one accident! My complete ride was awesome. Everyone was courteous and safe. I did start early though to beat the rush. I stayed with a friend near the start. I was up at 3:00 AM on Saturday and on my bike by 4:11 AM! It was a surreal morning for me. There was no one on the roads for about an hour. Then I met two guys near Kent who started early too. We chatted for a bit and then I passed them. My first rest stop was the Yelm ministop just before we got on the trail (Yelm to Tenino). This is where the "fast" riders began catching me.

I just did a ride this afternoon (about an hour ago). My first ride since Saturday. I did an easy 30 miler and the first ten miles my legs felt tired but once they warmed up (around mile 9-10) they felt pretty darn good. No aches or pains, a bit stiff but I'm working that out. The ride today helped.

When we crossed that pedestrian bridge in Portland there was no traffic what so ever. It was really nice for the group I was in as we came into Portland that evening. I guess I lucked out.

Yea I got every single red light in Portland too! Just when we were moving we came to the next light and of course it turned red! All the way to the finish line!

So how are you feeling today?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Although i only rode STP once, it has been a part of the fabric of my life since about 1990 when my husband rode his first STP. Then my sons rode, and my husband rode, and they all rode, and some of them rode, so I had to as well.. I have also been responsible for following them and their friends with all their gear and of course being at the finish line for close to a dozen STP's now. I've seen the skateboard guy, the unicycle guys (there were more than 1 one year) and the old guys on the beater 1 speed bikes and all the other goofiness.
    The persons I wanted to punch were the jerks who threw tacks in the road near spanaway more than one year...

I would have loved to see everyone dismounting and pushing their bikes up a steep street off Hwy 30.
    For me Hwy 30 WAS the worst. all the highway grime, cars zooming by going 60+ mph.
    once we got into the city proper though, I was stoked, i loved that part; but I like riding in the city

Congrats you guys!!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Great job, Sue! Congrats on being a 1-day rider too - I know how much training, planning and commitment that takes...besides, I think I told you beforehand that there'd be a stretch at the end where it's all psychological as, no matter how great a ride you're having, it's a loooooong day in the saddle! Re: the Longview bridge - I rode the STP for the 1st time in 2-days and so I had the experience of waiting by the bridge to be shepherded in waves across the bridge, with support vehicles in front and behind and being able to take up the whole lane...ahhhh! So, I was not pleasantly surprised when I was rolling along doing it in 1-day the next year. There was a guy drafting my riding partner and me and it was then that I realized we had to dodge the junk on the road, with cars and truckss blowing past us - all on our own...whew! That drafting cyclist was about 6'6, never took a pull and when we signalled that we were pulling over somewhere along hwy 30, he didn't even say thanks as he kept riding...just that he "had needed a rest and you girls did a great job" - hmmmmph!

Congratulations to every one of you STP riders - now veterans! Did you get it out of your system or are you anxiously awaiting 2011 registration??!
    Mary

Just a test post to add picture to my profile. hopefully it works
    Rodriguez Stellar, probably 2004, purchased previously loved.