Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question...

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm kind of a newbie in the biking world, and I was just wondering bike size is ideal for my height. I know I could find this information out easily on Google, but it'd be much more helpful if I had actual people give me a heads up!

So I'm about 5' 3" and am familiar that a 48cm - 50cm frame would be ideal. I've been desperately searching for a Peugeot/Mercier/Raleigh Mixte, but they are all 52cm+ !

Are any of you the same height as I am and is a 52cm too tall?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by liang View Post
    I'm kind of a newbie in the biking world, and I was just wondering bike size is ideal for my height. I know I could find this information out easily on Google, but it'd be much more helpful if I had actual people give me a heads up!

So I'm about 5' 3" and am familiar that a 48cm - 50cm frame would be ideal. I've been desperately searching for a Peugeot/Mercier/Raleigh Mixte, but they are all 52cm+ !

Are any of you the same height as I am and is a 52cm too tall?

Thanks!
    Is there a local bike store that you can work with? It isn't just about height, but bike size also has to do with the proportions of leg to body and your reach. If the bike doesn't fit you then you won't want to ride it. What keeps things interesting is that some bike manufacturers measure differently from others.

For example, I am the same height as you are and a 50cm, generally speaking, would be too large for me - but someone else the same height might find my 46cm bike too small - though it is perfect for me.

Welcome and have fun bike shopping! Test ride as many as you can and enjoy!
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-06-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Yesterday I googled "how to measure yourself for a bike" and found several good, informative pages. HTH

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+t...rchBox&ie=&oe=

Wow, I would love to find a 52cm mixte. Every single one I have found is between 48cm and 50cm. The older ones that is. I know that Raleigh had two and sometimes three sizes in the mixte frames, but I'm wondering if Nishiki and those others did. Not as many sizes as the men's bikes, that's for sure!

Anyway, as I posted somewhere else, if you put moustache bars on it, or albatross bars and a shorter stem that 52cm bike may work. Those bars bring the reach back quite a bit, so much that I had to go with something else. I didn't want drop bars, so I had to put on bullhorns and it's perfect now.
    Last edited by uforgot; 07-06-2010 at 07:20 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Don't know if this will help, but it's what I used when I diets bought my bike along with the advice of mu LBS

Determining Your Road Bike Frame Size
    Height Inseam Length Bike Frame Size
    4'10" - 5'1" 25.5” - 27” 46 - 48 cm
    5'0" - 5'3" 26.5" - 28" 48 - 50 cm
    5'2" - 5'5" 27.5" - 29" 50 - 52 cm

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Is there a local bike store that you can work with? It isn't just about height, but bike size also has to do with the proportions of leg to body and your reach. If the bike doesn't fit you then you won't want to ride it. What keeps things interesting is that some bike manufacturers measure differently from others.

For example, I am the same height as you are and a 50cm, generally speaking, would be too large for me - but someone else the same height might find my 46cm bike too small - though it is perfect for me.

Welcome and have fun bike shopping! Test ride as many as you can and enjoy!
    That's interesting. I'm 5'3 and ended up with a 44 and my girlfriend who is probably 5'7 ended up with a 48. We both bought Fuji Bikes. I wonder if they run really big or something.

Quote Originally Posted by blumensh View Post
    That's interesting. I'm 5'3 and ended up with a 44 and my girlfriend who is probably 5'7 ended up with a 48. We both bought Fuji Bikes. I wonder if they run really big or something.
    I have learned that different bike manufacturers measure in different ways. Before I settled on my beloved LHT I really wanted a Salsa Fargo. That doesn't come NEAR small enough for me (though a salesman tried to convince me otherwise). There does not seem to be a standard when it comes to bike sizes and what they are called.

Height and inseam have very little to do with it. It's mostly the top tube length, which you don't mention at all.

Seatposts can be raised and lowered a LOT. Stem length and saddle fore/aft placement, MUCH less.

If you're comfortable on one of the 52 cm (or taller) bikes you found, buy it!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by blumensh View Post
    Some brands have weird sizing.. I am 5'7" and have a 47cm Felt that fits me just fine, but I'd previously tried other brands and anything <50cm was way too small. The felt has the "reach" of a bigger frame.

Anyways, my experience with Mixtes and sizing is that the seat tube length doesn't always tell you a whole lot... I have two adult sized ones, a 49cm and a 45cm, and the virtual top tube length is the SAME on both of them (about 53cm).. the seat tube angles are different though, so the have a different "feel" when riding either of them. I also have a kid sized one, with a 45cm seat tube, but the virtual top tube is only 49cm. There's no way at all I could fit on that frame... obviously it's not for me, but it's still small.

I've seen some mixtes with more reach than others, even with similar seat tube lengths.. but I wouldn't assume that just because a frame is a 52 that it will be too big. Figure out what the VTT is, and base your purchasing on that, rather than just the seat tube.

The best fit is going to come from a professional bike fitter at an LBS.
    They take all kinds of measurements, plug them into a computer and it determines your frame size in the models you are interested in. You would find that you even take several different frame sizes from one company's stable of bike styles.

I am sure when you Googled choosing a bike size you also read that the tables are only a recommendation and that the best way to get the correct size is to have a professional fit. I know I did.

If you are looking at used bikes, my suggestion would be to choose a range and test drive any bike in that range. Bike geometries vary and just because one 52cm didn't work it doesn't mean another one wont be a good fit.

Enjoy your search and don't forget to post pictures when you find your bike!
    http://etherbourn.blogspot.com/

2010 Cannondale Synapse Feminine Carbon 6

Melissa has first right of refusal while she checks out the size options, but I have my mother's vintage 52cm mixte Peugeot UE-18, complete with racks, in the For Sale thread.

Shameless plug, but I've only a few weeks while visiting my mother to help her part with it. (And she IS reluctant, but has asked me to do this. She's 84 and her dance club challenges her enough.)

Owen