Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Shorts for bigger thighs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Can somebody suggests a cycling short that doesn't make me look like I have sausages for legs? I have always had legs that looked like they belong on a person much heavier than I am. I have been riding in a pair of old champion compression shorts. Lately if I ride for more then 10 miles, I've been getting chaffing. I'm riding for fitness/recreation and usually don't do more than 12 miles a day. I went looking today at the local stores, but nothing seems to fit me right. To give you an idea of what I'm dealing with I have a 26 inch waist, 38 inch hips and my things measure 23 inches. I found a pair of liner shorts by canari. The medium fit well in the waist and chamois but gave me sausages for legs and the large was about 3 inches to big in the waist and the chamois felt way too large. I also tried the Pearl Izumi but they were too tight in the leg and also felt to big in the chamois. Thanks for the help!

My Castellis seem to fit a lot tighter in the waist and hips than in the legs. I have to be really careful applying lube to the chamois while I'm wearing them!

Alternately, shorts with a gripper solve this problem by making the fabric in the legs very stretchy. If you're sensitive to the gripper, you can flip it to the outside, provided the legs aren't too short.

Call TE, they're really helpful about fit.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Which PIs did you try? I would recommend the PI women's P.R.O. Short or P.R.O. Bib Short. Both have large, welded leg openings with silicone grippers. In fact you may want to try them in both small and medium. I second Oak Leaf's suggestion -- call TE and explain your situation. They're great about this kind of thing.

Once you find a pair of shorts or bibs that fit you really well, you may find that you will want to ride a lot more than 12 miles! :-)

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    My Castellis seem to fit a lot tighter in the waist and hips than in the legs. I have to be really careful applying lube to the chamois while I'm wearing them!

Alternately, shorts with a gripper solve this problem by making the fabric in the legs very stretchy. If you're sensitive to the gripper, you can flip it to the outside, provided the legs aren't too short.

Call TE, they're really helpful about fit.
    I have the Castelli Visio.1 shorts, and the grippers are loose while the rest of the shorts fit fine.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

I too can reccommend the PRO high end PI shorts. The fabric used is very stretchy. The grippers will still be a bit tight but not too bad.

Another pair of shorts I am having good success with is Skins. I have the recovery tights so wanted to try the shorts. Once again the fabric is very stretchy and the length is very long, in fact it sits just above my knees so isn't very sausage looking at all. The grippers are like bands of elastic (like on underwear) with silicone dots on the inside

So look for stretchy material, longer length and fabric elastic grippers and that should mean less sausage legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    I have the Castelli Visio.1 shorts, and the grippers are loose while the rest of the shorts fit fine.
    FWIW, the Vizio.2 don't have grippers. They have a separate panel around the hem of each leg that's cut on the bias so it doesn't stretch as much as the fabric on the upper thighs. The waistband is similar. They don't ride up at all, on me, although the waistband does tend to roll over on my nonexistent waist.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler