Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteopenia????

Cool Osteopenia????

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have previously posted on here about my accident just over 3 months ago, after falling from a standing position off my bike and breaking my back.

Now it would appear in a letter to my GP from my Hospital Spinal Consultant that I have osteopenia/osteoporosis. I have never heard of this before, apparently osteopenia is the forerunner to osteoporosis.

Keen to find out more, I discovered a book on the internet called "Reversing Osteopenia" I managed to buy this on Amazon at such a low price £6 (free post) so I suppose that is roughly $9.12.

In my humble opinion, I think anybody should read up more about this, as there is so much that you can do to help yourself, especially in younger women.

If anybody knows about osteopenia, I would be interested to hear your views, comments and advice.

Cheers.

Clock
    Clock

Orange Clockwork - Limited Edition 1998

‘Enjoy your victories of each day'

Just curious Clock, but when you hit 40 or 45, did your regular Doc, or OB/GYN suggest you start taking calcium supplements? Seem that was about when mind did, and because I had early on-set of menopause, I also had a bone density scan (which was normal).

I guess the extra calcium must have helped when I crashed because I didn't break anything, which surprised both the ER Doc and the Orthopedist.
    Beth

I'm terrified of getting Osteoporosis. I drink a lot of milk and eat a great deal of dairy, but am not allowed to take calcium supplements (kidney stones) and haven't had a period in a year due to depo provera (endometriosis). I am just hoping that since I am young and still building calcium it will be enough for me.

i have read that the protein in dairy products makes them a poor source of calcium. that protein inhibits the absolution of calcium.

i try and eat a lot of leafy greens that are high in calcium and recently was reading about how high in calcium sesame seeds are. i love making tahini salad dressings and i sometimes put both sesame seeds and leafy greens into smoothies.

also i read that the best exercise they have found for bones is jumping up and down! so i jump rope for a few minutes at a time a few times a day and hope that will help my bones.

osteoporosis is scary i hope to prevent it.
    Pi - 2010 Luna Orbit / brooks 68 imperial
    Fish - 2009 Marin Bear Valley/ brooks 68
    Trixie - BMX / to be decided

We've had a few threads on this topic...
    I've known for 10 years I've had osteopenia; despite doing impact exercise for 15 years or so and weight lifting. I have never been a milk drinker, though and I have a huge family history of this. I couldn't take the Fosomax type drugs, which caused huge gastric problems. I was on Evista for 5 years on and off, which reversed it a bit, but I had all kinds of weird medical things that went away when i stopped taking it.
    So, last year, it became full blown osteoporosis. In January I had a Reclast treatment, which is basically Fosomax, given IV, that stays in your body for a year, but by-passes your GI system. About half way through the 30 minute treatment, I felt dizzy and nauseous, so they stopped it. I had more than half the dose, though and my endo thinks it may have done at least some good. All my blood work came back fine, so I have none of the bad side effects that are possible.
    I have a had a few minor crashes, the last being last summer, with no damage. I haven't been mountain biking fro a couple of years, but at this point, I feel like I want to go ahead and start again, since I'm not very aggressive at it, anyway.
    I've been taking calcium and vitamin D supplements for 26 years, and nothing I did helped. I eat a very good diet, too. At this point, I feel like i can't let it rule my life.
    Clock, I can't believe that there isn't more information about this in the UK.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by colorisnt View Post
    I'm terrified of getting Osteoporosis. I drink a lot of milk and eat a great deal of dairy, but am not allowed to take calcium supplements (kidney stones) and haven't had a period in a year due to depo provera (endometriosis). I am just hoping that since I am young and still building calcium it will be enough for me.
    If you're concerned about osteoporosis you should consider getting off of Depo. Lots of women use the Mirena IUDs to treat endometriosis.

In my new devotion to tabloid journalism (to supplement my aquisition of German) I have learned that Gwyneth Paltrow suffers from osteopenia as well.

Sorry to be useless, but perhaps it may be comforting in some obscure way.

(I also know some tidbits about Michael Jackson's children which are probably more useless and also more likely fabricated.)
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

I too have Osteopenia. Thank you for the heads-up. I'll have to check out the book. I know I'm not diligent enough about taking my calcium!
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

Thanks for the heads up! I realize that it is an option, but the problem is finding a doctor who will do one on someone under the age of 30 without children. IDK why. I know it can be more painful, but that is good as long as I avoid all other pains. I thought about doing it while in the UK, but that was right after starting provera treatment and I was really to sensitive to even dream of it.

Glad you posted that, Catriona. I read it when it came out, and was told much the same thing by some very good NPs and docs I know (who basically said, "'Ostopenia' isn't really a thing at all"). Osteoporosis, yes. Osteopenia--questionable and doesn't necessarily lead to osteoporosis.

I would seek out multiple credible sources of info before making any decisions about reacting to an "osteopenia" label.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

I agree 100%...

BUT, in Clock's case, the fact that a gentle fall like that resulted in vertebral fractures would be diagnostic of osteoporosis, I'm almost sure.

No doubt the enforced inactivity and steroids on account of the lung problems contributed greatly to that.

Plenty of sun, plenty of impact exercise, reducing dietary phosphorus and acid-forming foods, ensuring that protein intake doesn't greatly exceed the needs of the muscles, supplementing with magnesium and calcium to keep up with heavy sweating in hot weather. You betcha.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-07-2010 at 03:29 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Yes, and I did progress from osteopenia to osteoporosis. It seems kind of logical to me; I didn't read the posted article, but if my Dexa scan showed thinning bones twelve years ago and they called it osteopenia and then every two years when it was checked, it got worse, despite doing all of the things stated above, then I don't think it was fake. Both my grandmother and mother had it and I have a lot of the other risk factors. Taking Prednisone on and off in my thirties for asthma didn't help. And now I have learned that some of the things I've taken for stomach issues also can affect absorption of calcium.
    I like to think that some of impact exercise I've done has made it less worse than it might have been and maybe protected me from fractures in some of my crashes.
    I am extra cautious when riding because of this, but that is also part of my basic personality. But, I can't let it run my life. That's why I finally decided to try Reclast; something has to work. I am famous for being allergic to or not having results from many medications.
    Maybe the Jewish mother worrywort gene in me makes me believe that this isn't fake.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I agree 100%...

BUT, in Clock's case, the fact that a gentle fall like that resulted in vertebral fractures would be diagnostic of osteoporosis, I'm almost sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Yes, and I did progress from osteopenia to osteoporosis. It seems kind of logical to me; I didn't read the posted article, but if my Dexa scan showed thinning bones twelve years ago and they called it osteopenia and then every two years when it was checked, it got worse, despite doing all of the things stated above, then I don't think it was fake.

Yes, no argument there at all.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

It's all relative - the majority of women will end up with osteoporosis - stats from wikipedia:
    Osteoporosis is a major public health threat which afflicts 55% of Americans aged 50 and above. Of these, approximately 80% are women.[90] It is estimated[citation needed] that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 12 men over the age of 50 worldwide have osteoporosis. It is responsible for millions of fractures annually, mostly involving the lumbar vertebrae, hip, and wrist. Fragility fractures of ribs are also common in men.

The only problem I have with osteopenia is that I don't think there's quite the data there to support everything that's being done - the definition of who has it vs. who doesn't, the data on what's normal bone loss over the years, since all women over 30 have thinning bones - vs. what's accelerated and will lead to osteoporosis. And the small machines they're using to diagnosis it checking peripheral bones instead of bone or hip...

So definitely, if someone's already broken bones - be concerned. If you have a family history of osteoporosis and they say osteopenia, be concerned... but if you don't have either of those, I'd say be concerned with a grain of salt, and up your calcium and weight bearing exercise - but I wouldn't necessarily start taking drugs for it until there's some more long term followup data and studies to support it. But - that's always a personal decision that everyone needs to research and decide on their own what's best for their bodies.