Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Sadness. It's over. Goodbye, Paris.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    But it is (supposed to be)TEAM Radio Shack, not Team Lance

And what logo do you see here?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I'll suffer from TDF withdrawal! <until La Vuelta>

I think it's Lance grabbing the spotlight one more time.
    i think we all know about his organization by now.

[/Lance]
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

But Radio Shack and Livestrong are partners - you can even donate to Livestrong in Radio Shack stores.

I don't understand any negative sentiments against a charitable organization but I guess it takes all kinds.

There was something seriously funny about watching professional bike riders fiddling with safety pins on the side of the road! lol

Quote Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
    I don't understand any negative sentiments against a charitable organization but I guess it takes all kinds.
    That won't be tolerated.Not by me, anyway.

It's fairly obvious my comments were not directed toward a charitable organization

That won't be tolerated.Not by me, anyway.

It's fairly obvious my comments were not directed toward a charitable organization
    The whole point of that jersey move was to promote the Livestrong cancer awareness. And you posted an "*** hat". Maybe I misunderstood.

Besides, even if it is "all about Lance", he's uses his fame for good. Which is more than like 99% of the other household names can say for themselves. Livestrong/LAF has a good charity rating, so I'm ok with silly stunts if it helps raise funds. They probably got more publicity with the mess up, anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I really liked the jerseys. I thought they were classy and I liked their names being on them. I think Lance truly is into his cause and getting his message out. Cipollini used to come out in weird costumes all the time and just got fined for it.

Veronica
    They did the same thing last year - different jersey on the last day - had big yellow bands on it or something. They got a fine and that was the end of it. I think Lance just paid it and felt it was worth it for the publicity (as Cippo did often - and his TT costumes were just plain outrageous for the fun of it rather than to make any specific point....). I don't think they expected it to be such a big stink this year. I thought the jerseys were nice too and I think the organizers were a bit uptight today.

3 cheers for Petacchi! He had such a bad run of luck for a while - broke his kneecap, lost his place with his *amazing* lead out team because of doping allegations (from which he was eventually cleared), bounced around to several teams and never really had the same phenomenal success he had for so long. I figured he was probably done - too old to contest the young pups in the sprints anymore, but he showed a lot of grit this year. I was stoked to see him win the green.
    Last edited by Eden; 07-25-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I thought the black jerseys were great - way better than their regular ones. Very cool. I think I like them better than any of the other kits in the tour this year.

I didn't actually hear Lance talking about Lance - I heard him talking about cancer research, which was the clearly stated goal at the outset with Team Radio Shack. It was about raising awareness.

I know a lot of people don't like him, and you aren't required to, but who has done anywhere near as much to promote awareness of the U.S. cycling program? Or won as many TDFs? People who never knew bike racing existed are into it now. How is that bad? Personally, I have a lot of respect for him.

On another note - I thought Contador & Schleck's fake attack on the peloton today was really cool! I didn't like Contador, but he's grown on me since The Incident the other day - if Andy can forgive him and be buddies with him, who am I to hate the guy?

Go Andy! Just WAIT until next year!
    The Warrior Princess: 2008 Jamis Xenith Pro / Bontrager Affinity 1 (men's)
    2006 Trek Fuel EX 9 / Bontrager Race Luxe
    2007 Trek 520 / Serfas Terazzo
    Amelia Pond (She travels long distances, has great adventures, and she's a redhead): 2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 / Bontrager Affinity 2 (men's)

Quote Originally Posted by Skierchickie View Post
    On another note - I thought Contador & Schleck's fake attack on the peloton today was really cool! I didn't like Contador, but he's grown on me since The Incident the other day - if Andy can forgive him and be buddies with him, who am I to hate the guy?

Go Andy! Just WAIT until next year!
    *like* oh wait.....this isn't FB....

Still, I agree! I also agree about the jerseys - great stunt, great way to get publicity for cancer research/awareness.
    "When I'm on my bike I forget about things like age. I just have fun." Kathy Sessler

2006 Independent Fabrication Custom Ti Crown Jewel (Road, though she has been known to go just about anywhere)/Specialized Jett

While I'm certainly not a Lance "fan" and he and I would not see eye-to-eye on a great many topics, I do have tremendous respect for his athleticism, riding ability, competitiveness, mental-acuity and ability and willingness to use his "celebrity" for something good. He's not required to give anything back... really none of us are... but he absolutely has given back! I can think of no other rider in the modern era who has singlehandedly done more for the sport of cycling.

2011 Pinarello FP2 Ultegra (road)
    2010 Jamis Ventura Comp w/Selle SMP (road bike)
    2007 Fuji Absolute (hybrid)

I always enjoy watching the tour and and feel a little sad when it ends. At least now I will get some decent sleep.

Great to see Petacchi make it to Paris and in green.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Quote Originally Posted by IFjane View Post
    *like* oh wait.....this isn't FB....
    i KNOW!
    I can't tell you how many times I've wished for that option here

I'm sad to see it over and disappointed Andy wasn't in yellow but there is next year. Andy's such a neat kid. Did you hear him say how he was sad inside because his brother wasn't there but that he kept a brave face and didn't let it show for the team? Contador is a champion though.

I'm not a big Lance fan but will have to give him credit for raising awareness and funding for cancer research. He seems to be as passionate about that as he is cycling and I respect him for it.

Luna Eclipse/Selle Italia Lady
    Surly Pacer/Terry Butterfly
    Quintana Roo Cd01/Koobi Stratus
    1981 Schwinn Le Tour Tourist
    Jamis Coda Femme

Honestly, there would be no Team Radio Shack if Lance had not come out of retirement. Just like there would be no Team Astana if Vino hadn't decided to take charge and get his friends to start a team. But now that they exist and are having a good season, I hope they're able to continue for a while. They have some very talented young riders in the pipeline.

I did think TRS should have known enough to get permission to change the jerseys, but I guess since they've done it before (as have others) they figured they would just have to pay a fine and be done with it. And if you can hit another rider with your front wheel and not be DQ'd, then who would expect you'd get kicked out of the race for changing your clothes.

I read that the UCI is donating the amount of the fine to a cancer-related charity.

I was so bummed to be watching the news on TV this morning instead of Phil and Paul.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles