Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Miami, FL--if it's raining wait an hour and the sun will be out

TPI count for aero wheels

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is it a sin to put 150 TPI tires on aero wheels?
    I currently have 150 TPI's on my hill climbing wheelset. These 300+ TPI tires don't last very long and cost a fortune. Will I really notice the difference in rolling resistance or is that for Lance to worry about?

I don't know a thing about aero wheels - but I do know that it's your ride, and you should do what feels right to you and makes your experience a happy, fun one. Assuming you can get the kind of tire you want to fit, don't let other people's opinions of the "right way" keep you from it.
    Aperte mala cm est mulier, tum demum est bona. -- Syrus, Maxims
    (When a woman is openly bad, she is at last good.)

Edepol nunc nos tempus est malas peioris fieri. -- Plautus, Miles Gloriosus
    (Now is the time for bad girls to become worse still.)

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    300??? Geez. Clincher?
    I don't think I've ever ridden anything more than 130s (although I do have some 290 Open Corsos waiting on deck when my current ProRace 3's wear out).
    Maybe stay away from the 50 tpi's....but 150? Meh...No one will kick you out of the paceline. They may not feel as supple, but I doubt you'll loose any town line sprints.
    You can pick up some Open Corsos on Sierra Trading Post for $50. They're 290s.

e.t.a. Hey...what's someone from Miami doing with "Hill climbing wheels"???? I thought all of Florida was board flat!
    Last edited by 7rider; 06-30-2010 at 11:52 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Miami, FL--if it's raining wait an hour and the sun will be out
    Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    300??? Geez. Clincher?
    I don't think I've ever ridden anything more than 130s (although I do have some 290 Open Corsos waiting on deck when my current ProRace 3's wear out).
    Maybe stay away from the 50 tpi's....but 150? Meh...No one will kick you out of the paceline. They may not feel as supple, but I doubt you'll loose any town line sprints.
    You can pick up some Open Corsos on Sierra Trading Post for $50. They're 290s.

e.t.a. Hey...what's someone from Miami doing with "Hill climbing wheels"???? I thought all of Florida was board flat!
    I have ridden those Open Corsas for awhile and liked them but they flattened out pretty quickly. Just bought some Hutchinson's for the first time so looking forward to trying those out. We have lived all over the country so we have acquired a lot of different equipment. We have wheels, cassettes & cranks coming out of the whazoo. It IS VERY flat here so those tires on my climbing wheels will rot if I don't use them. These Miami bikers are FAST. There is no such thing as "moderate", they just haul butt. Hardly any women riders and the guys carry on full conversations at 26mph. A "moderate" ride here is 50 miles and you'll show an avg of 19-20mph when you get home. And that includes my warm up and cool down mileage