Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question bikeandbuild.org

To disable ads, please log-in.

Anyone know anything about this organization? They contacted our school and want to stay in it in July. Administration wants to know more about it. Apparently they are raising money to benefit affordable-housing groups. I'm not even sure I know what that means.

http://bikeandbuild.org/cms/
    Last edited by uforgot; 06-29-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

They are legit. Our church hosted a rest stop for them last month. Each participant has to raise several thousand dollars before the ride as well as work on affordable housing while doing a cross country bike tour. The money raised helps different groups that build affordable housing such as Habitat for Humanity. They tend to stay at churches and schools on their trip with occasional tent camping when something else can't be found. There were about 33 in the group we hosted. We did not have suitable facilities for overnight stay, so provided a rest stop, place to have dinner, and then they went to the local Y which allowed them to spend the night, use showers, etc. Their dinner was provided by one of last year's riders who drove over an hour with her dad to bring it to them.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

I'd forgotten about this post ... but we encountered several riders (briefly) on Tuesday while we were laying out the route for the tour we're putting on next Saturday. Good to know they're legit - their financials looked reasonable, but it's hard to tell just from the IRS 990s with an organization like that, and they're too small to have received any real scrutiny.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

One of the women with the group was struk and killed by a semi yesterday. She was on doing her second trip with the group.

http://www.startribune.com/local/989...Yyc:aUycaEacyU

Oh man...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Bike and Build is totally legit. The type of people who participate in the organization are passionate, friendly, ambitious, and adventurous (and I'm not just saying that 'cause I'm one of them ).

I rode for the organization in 2007 and it was the best summer of my life. I actually had never ridden a bicycle more than 30 miles cumulative in my life before that trip, and I'm totally hooked on cycling now.
    New York City to Los Angeles
    42Ride, 2009

Providence to Seattle
    Bike and Build 2007