Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

measuring your sit bones

To disable ads, please log-in.

this may be a stupid question: but how do you measure the distance between your sit bones? is there a good and easy technique to do this?
    Trek WSD 1.9 (2009), Selle Italia Gel Flow Lady/Brooks B17 (testing)
    Specialized Safire Expert (2009), Ariel 130 mm
    Specialized Era HT (2008), Ariel 143 mm

Fill a one or two gallon ziploc with flour (not crammed full). Place it on a hard kitchen chair. Sit on the bag and lean forward, with a straight back until your elbows touch your knees. You can put your feet on a stool to elevate them a bit as well. Your sit bones should leave an indent in the flour. It works with play-doh too, apparently.

I highly recommend making a tracing. The simplest way to do this is to make your butt-print on a piece of paper to begin with (you will still have to outline the indentations, since the indentations will fade with time), but you can trace the indentations on whatever else you use, also. With a tracing, you have a permanent, portable record of the size and shape of your sitbones that you can lay over any saddle.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

crazy but this works

This is nuts - but it works! Find some SECLUDED pavement (like your patio) - take a piece of white paper (like you would put in a copier) - get naked and sit on the paper. Voila - you will see your sit bones on the paper - and you can measure the distance. just be discreet!!
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet - only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller

Just do what I did: sit nekid on the company xerox machine. You get a picture you can take with you to the LBS and ... Just kidding, TE. Seriously you can also use a close and trusted friend and a tape measure. Just don't walk up to complete strangers with the tape measure.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-29-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

oh yeah!!

I like the sit on the copier idea - then you can even shrink it down without diet and exercise!!!! hmmmmmm
    "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet - only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired and success achieved" - Helen Keller

Yes, but I think your sit bones have nothing to do with weight or height or .... You can have wide sit bones with narrow hips or vice versa. It's just bones. Just like you can be tall with small feet or short with big feet .... it's just bones.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-29-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Oooh, and with Play dough you could use newsprint instead of aluminum foil. That way you get the sit bones measurment on the Sunday Funnies. Just kidding.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Here's a recipe for edible chocolate Play Doh.

Haha! Oh that is clever. A play-doh you can measure your butt with, and then eat. How versatile.

Yuk!
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I used the yoga mat method. Put a yoga mat on the bottom or second bottom step of some (preferably wooden) stairs. Sit on it. After a few minutes your sit bones will leave an imprint in the mat. Measure it.

No cooking required!

No eating required!

PS: Don't wear your knicks -the padding distorts the result. Naked would probably be best but only if the stairs are inside! And if it's a thin mat - fold it a couple of thicknesses to speed up the result.
    2008 Shogun Ninja/BBB Women's Race
    2010 Scott Speedster S20FB/BBB Women's Race
    2011 Avanti Vitale 3 (converted to flat bar with triple)/Zero Zia Pro
    2008 Kona Lisa HT/WTB Speed She
    2009 Specialized Era Marathon/Ariel SL 143
    2008 Holstar Roadster (tandem)/WTB Speed She

Quote Originally Posted by Zelda_K View Post
    this may be a stupid question: but how do you measure the distance between your sit bones? is there a good and easy technique to do this?
    And so Zelda - do you notice any difference in comfort between your two different widths of Ariel seats? I also have the 143 (came on my Era) and absolutely love it but am unsure whether it is predominantly the width or shape that does it for me and how transferable that is to another Spesh seat.

I'm not as happy with the seats I have on my roadies and would like to try a Jett or similar but am reluctant to shell out the dollars if it is going to be a disaster.
    Last edited by pinkbikes; 06-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    2008 Shogun Ninja/BBB Women's Race
    2010 Scott Speedster S20FB/BBB Women's Race
    2011 Avanti Vitale 3 (converted to flat bar with triple)/Zero Zia Pro
    2008 Kona Lisa HT/WTB Speed She
    2009 Specialized Era Marathon/Ariel SL 143
    2008 Holstar Roadster (tandem)/WTB Speed She

Or you could go into your LBS - they will have some special memory foam that is designed to measure your sit bones as well as a size chart about what that means

I think you need a CT scan to do this right. I tried all of the suggestions mentioned above, and came up with this obscure measurement that matched a giraffe pelvis in the third trimester.

Maybe the bike shop is the best source.
    Lookit, grasshopper....