Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Not all bike shops have the memory foam, or agree with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    Not all bike shops have the memory foam, or agree with it...
    Don't agree with it -- meaning they don't think it gives an accurate or usable measurement?

I had great results with the yoga mat method, but that could just be luck.

Lake Superior in the summer; southern WI the rest of the year
    It's a great question! I've tried sitting on wet paper (bad idea) and then sitting on dry paper with a ballpoint pen in my hand, trying to trace (worse idea--my husband was really puzzled by how I ended up with ink all over my bottom). Playdoh, a bag of flour, or the yoga mat never occurred to me!

How do you measure any other part of your body?

Use a cloth (or plastic) measure. Use one hand to hold the 0 end on one butt point and use the other hand to pinch the part of the tape over your other butt point.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    I think you need a CT scan to do this right. I tried all of the suggestions mentioned above, and came up with this obscure measurement that matched a giraffe pelvis in the third trimester.
    If you got the same measurement again and again with all the suggested methods, maybe you just have sitbones that match a giraffe pelvis in the third trimester?

(mine are 170-190mm, and my hips themselves are not very wide. Sit bone width and hip width don't have much to do with each other)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

ahhhh.. i wonder if painting my butt lightly with my daughter's washable paints, and then sitting on paper (a la stamping) will work...
    When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.

Arthur Conan Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    How do you measure any other part of your body?

Use a cloth (or plastic) measure. Use one hand to hold the 0 end on one butt point and use the other hand to pinch the part of the tape over your other butt point.
    Ditto this.

Hold a fabric measuring tape in one hand. Lie on your back and flip your legs into the air (kind of over your head but you don't need to go that far). Feel for the sit bones and then hold the tape at each bone point. Flip upright without letting go of the tape and read your measurement. Voila!

I never had luck with the sitting on gel-like things as I have way to much butt padding to get a good reading.

I was surprised at how narrow my sit bones were. I always thought that being a big bottomed girl meant that I had wide hips. Not so much (which explains why my thighs will ALWAYS touch no matter how thin I get!).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Ditto this.

Hold a fabric measuring tape in one hand. Lie on your back and flip your legs into the air (kind of over your head but you don't need to go that far). Feel for the sit bones and then hold the tape at each bone point. Flip upright without letting go of the tape and read your measurement. Voila!

I never had luck with the sitting on gel-like things as I have way to much butt padding to get a good reading.

I was surprised at how narrow my sit bones were. I always thought that being a big bottomed girl meant that I had wide hips. Not so much (which explains why my thighs will ALWAYS touch no matter how thin I get!).
    Ditto...all of it. Even when I was a size 2 (by modern sizing) in HS I wore the inner thighs of my jeans out fast. At the time I was all of 115#s at 5'3"ish.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I think making an impression is better than using a tape measure, because the sitbones aren't parallel to the sagittal plane. An impression gives you not only the inside and outside measurements, but the angle.

And I think the inner thigh rub has to do with Q-angle and adductor development. It's an issue for me and my moderately wide bones, too.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I am thinking the water base paint thing might work. I'm trying it this weekend.
    Lookit, grasshopper....

Quote Originally Posted by pinkbikes View Post
    And so Zelda - do you notice any difference in comfort between your two different widths of Ariel seats? I also have the 143 (came on my Era) and absolutely love it but am unsure whether it is predominantly the width or shape that does it for me and how transferable that is to another Spesh seat.

I'm not as happy with the seats I have on my roadies and would like to try a Jett or similar but am reluctant to shell out the dollars if it is going to be a disaster.
    I tried the yoga mat method, but it didn't work for me. maybe i should have been sitting there a bit longer, will try again.

as for my 2 Ariel saddles, I don't notice much difference. But then they are on my mountainbikes, where I spend more time standing on the pedals or just leaning my legs against the saddle, not really sitting on it like on the road bike. And I rarely spend more than 2 hours on my mountainbikes (unlike the road which I use for much longer trips).
    Trek WSD 1.9 (2009), Selle Italia Gel Flow Lady/Brooks B17 (testing)
    Specialized Safire Expert (2009), Ariel 130 mm
    Specialized Era HT (2008), Ariel 143 mm

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    (mine are 170-190mm, and my hips themselves are not very wide. Sit bone width and hip width don't have much to do with each other)
    Just wanted to ditto this - there really is very little correlation. I have narrow hips but quite wide sitbones. Yesterday I saw a rare pic of me biking taken from behind and it was actually visible, both the wide "seating" and the thigh bone that seemingly goes straight down.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Me too with the wide sit/narrow hip.
    In fact, it feels like the distance between my sit bones is wider than the distance from either one of them to the outside world on the side.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

[QUOTE=Zelda_K;518406]I tried the yoga mat method, but it didn't work for me. maybe i should have been sitting there a bit longer, will try again./QUOTE]

I was semi-successful using a mat. I folded it in fourths and put it on my dining room table, which has a marble top. The impressions don't last for long but I was able to get a outside to outside measurement that is similar to what I got when I just took a tape measure to my up-ended butt.

It looks like I'm measuring around 130-135 mm. My current saddle is 155 (or maybe 160?) and it's comfortable for me, so that makes sense.

BTW my current saddle is pretty close to perfect, but is wearing out (cover is cracking) so I need a new one. Sadly they don't make the one I have anymore, so I'm going to post pics of it in a separate thread in the hopes that someone can point me towards a new one with a similar shape.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Yoga mats tend to be thin and rather firm. I had good luck with a floorwork mat that's maybe 8 mm - 1 cm thick.

Remember to sit low enough (or elevate your feet enough) that your femurs and thigh flesh aren't keeping your sitbones from making a good impression.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler