Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last month, I spent four days in Canada as an apprentice coach with Cindy Devine and her team of pro mountain bike coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    As I was clipping out, the bike came down hard on my ankle, breaking it in two places.

So I have a long recovery to look forward to, and my husband is threatening to sell my bike. But I want to get back out there and get over my fears, and learn to do it right!
    Whaaat! OMG! That really, really sucks.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Yeah, it does, but like I said, I did learn something.
    I can do five more miles.

Last week I was in the woods with DH, we were coming up a steep, technical grade, I chickened out and tried to clip out. As I was clipping out, the bike came down hard on my ankle, breaking it in two places.

So I have a long recovery to look forward to, and my husband is threatening to sell my bike. But I want to get back out there and get over my fears, and learn to do it right!
    Ooh shoot, indigoiis... You must have fallen hard on rocks or something... Either that or you have a very heavy bike. Oh my heal up fast!

And yea, I almost fell over today doing a hard rocky climb; right at the top. I had no guts or momentum at that point but knew that two more revolutions would get me over the top so I stood up, and almost fell over as my wheels slipped a bit on the rocky ground. So I kept peddaling as I felt my self start to lean over and the panic gave me enough legs to get over the last rock instead of stalling. It was then that I noticed that the climb was a wrong turn and I had to go back down and take the other fork in the trail (I am on vacation in another state and I had only been on this ride once before, a year ago.) Oh well...
    Tzvia- rollin' slow...
    Specialized Ruby Expert/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Specialized SWorks Safire/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Giant Anthem-W XT-XTR/mens Bontrager Inform RXL
    Fuji Newest 3 commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL
    Novara E.T.A commuter/mens Bontrager Inform RL

Yeah, it does, but like I said, I did learn something.
    I think it is great you aren't quitting but using it as a learning experience. Hope you heal up safely and quickly!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    I think it is great you aren't quitting but using it as a learning experience. Hope you heal up safely and quickly!
    DH keeps threatening to sell my bike!
    I told him "It was a user error, not a bike error."
    I can do five more miles.

DH keeps threatening to sell my bike!
    I told him "It was a user error, not a bike error."
    I explained it to my DH and he said "yep, it's almost always better to stay clipped in and take the fall." Then he explained sometimes you end up pedaling through it by staying committed, which was hard for me to believe until I finally had it happen. Get a taser then your DH will stay away from your bike.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Get a taser then your DH will stay away from your bike.
    That's funny.

I biked the rainbow rim trail at the Grand Canyon (totally worth the trip). Took my 2 boys (ages 2 and 4) camping for the first time, and executed some emergency duct tape repair when a chipmunk ran in front of me causing a fall.
    Get better soon indigoiis!
    "I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel...the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood." Susan B Anthony

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie_Ama View Post
    Tonight I finally made it up a feature called "The Wall" at one of our local trails.
    Yay Aggie! Woot!

Last night I rode some single track I haven't ridden for a few months. There's a drop between two trees with a hairpin turn onto a bridge. It's always freaked me out. I start experiencing anxiety symptoms about a mile before this section.

I'm out there by myself, riding, riding, riding--trying my hardest to suppress thoughts of this drop. When all of a sudden I realized I just crossed the bridge. That. Was the drop??? No way! I just flew right over it. It didn't intimidate me at all!!!!

Doing the race a few weeks ago with the scary skills section has turned out to be the greatest thing to improve my riding

Tonight was one of those rides you wish you could bottle the feelings of for a rainy day!

First I decided to stop skipping a drop that lately I have been just passing. Don't know why I just haven't been feeling confident, down I went and that really shook the nerves off.

Then we were riding along and I told DH I was going to attempt a climb I call the "Root Climb". It isn't long but it is S-shaped with a few large roots, somewhat steep and after two years I haven't made it more than halfway. First attempt I make it slightly less than halfway but something felt right. I tried again and I MADE IT!!

Then we ride over to the Waterfall Crossing, it drops in somewhat steep with a berm then a drop into a dry (right now) creek and climb out with roots and rocks. I have rode it for a while but the past couple of time I have been nervous and putting a foot down. I cleaned it. What a relief.

Then I get to this little drop with a root. It isn't any bigger than a curb but I have been walking it for about a year. Today I just rolled up, did what I knew to do and went right over with no issues. It pretty much was exactly the feeling Limewave had with that bridge, what drop, I passed it? What a relief!

The rest of the ride I had confidence to ride a couple more drops I have been skipping. Ones I have done last year but this year just wasn't feeling it. I also made some pretty difficult for my level climbs. Missed a few things I have been able to ride and had a minor crash that left me way more bruised than a crash of that level should but it was still an awesome ride!
    Amanda

My accomplishment this week was buying a mountain bike and taking my first ride. It was awesome and couldn't stop grinning, dirt, rocks, sand - what's not to love?! Wondering why I didn't do this sooner, oh yeah, kids, work... Anyways, loving the forum thanks for posting girls.

A wreck free day - woohoo! Seriously I tumble almost every ride and lately I have been on a streak I wanted to STOP!
    Amanda

DH and I did a ride which starts from our house, then it goes out to an old ranch which is now a park. The ranch is in a canyon. At the end of a canyon is a hill everyone dubs 'heart attack hill'. According to my GPS the grade gets up to about 20% on this climb. DH was ahead of me on the climb, I am a very slow climber, HOWEVER - He stopped to rest. I kept going and cleaned the hill without stopping! Yeah me!!!! A year ago I wouldn't even attempt this hill. Now it is mine!
    Trek Madone - 5.5 -Brooks B-17

Trek 2.1 WSD - Brooks - B-17 - Trainer bike;

Gary Fisher - Tassajara (MTB) - Specialized Ariel

AWESOME IVORY!!!! You must have been on cloud nine.

There is a hill, not as bad as yours but still a little rooty, slightly steep, rocks at our local trail. It was the thorn in my side for a year. Now I ride it every ride (even though it isn't on the main trail) to remind myself how far I have come and how much determination helped that.
    Amanda