Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for Riding Partners from Bedford MA

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Folks,
    I just moved to Bedford and have lost my regular riding partners. I know some of you all live in the area. I am not all that speedy (around 14-16 average), but am a pretty steady rider. I especially would like to do early weekday rides. Anyone interested?

Thanks,
    Pata
    "Why walk when you can bike?"
    Luna Eclipse
    Fuji RC Supreme
    Fuji Touring
    Centurion Le Mans
    All have Selle SMP TRK saddles.
    My blog: www.thepolkadotjournal.blogspot.com

I would love to ride with you. I live in Concord and my average is around the same as yours. I have lots of fun rides I do (and lead for AMC) around Concord, Carlisle Acton, Boxborough, and points west.
    I ride to Bedford almost every Monday afternoon to go to the Farmer's Market during the summer, although today it looks like bad air and thunderstorms might keep me in the car.

Let me know!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Hi - I am in Waltham, but I often take my fitness rides out there. The only problem is that I am a few miles an hour faster than the two of you I could pull you entirely if you want to draft me.

Unless I successfully quit smoking and you folks speed up -- then we might all converge on my average speeds (17-19mph)

Let's hope I can finally quit smoking. It is so hard when it doesn't terribly effect my performance. I did a hilly 50 on Saturday and averaged 17.4mph with 148bpm heartrate. Darn bionic lungs!

I doubt I would ever average 19 mph, even with a draft, for any extended period of time. My best ever, is around 18, on a flattish ride (mostly in Bedford) when I was behind my DH. Not drafting per se, just riding behind him. If you can do 17-19 average and smoke, then I think you probably would not enjoy riding with me. I ride lots of hills, but I slow considerably...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I plan to quit tomorrow! I am getting pretty excited, actually. I also have trouble on hills, and I wonder if it is a lack of oxygen getting to my leg muscles.

I went to the Belmont Wheelworks female cycling clinic yesterday, so I am very inspired to get better. I neeeeeeed to quit smoking. I am a closet smoker, and almost noone knows, as I don't do it around people. I've been smoking off and on for 22 years now. I actually starting biking because of smoking! When I was 11 years old, I used to bike far from home to sneak in cigarettes. Eventually the excitement of cycling took over my young life It is a weird thing to say that I starting cycling so that I could smoke...

Oh - one more thing -- I plan to do the women's ride from Lexington tomorrow. It is an evening ride - so I don't know if it would work for you.

http://www.northeastbicycleclub.org/home/article/480/

Good luck with the smoking. I hope you can do it!
    I don't have "trouble" with hills. I just am a slower rider than you. In fact, I get up most hills that a lot of people walk. My technique, on long climbs and also on short, steep ones, is to just tick the pedals over. In other words, I can usually go faster than I am going, but, especially on rides where I don't know what the remaining terrain is like, i go very slowly, to conserve my energy.
    I live on a pretty big hill and my driveway is even worse .
    And, I am probably at least 20 (or 30) years older than you. I didn't start riding until I was 47, although I was pretty fit before that.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Hi,
    I would love to ride with either of you. Right now I am not sure I could keep up with you Bunny. I am one of the leaders of the Women's Ride. I usually go with the slow beginner group and teach pace-lining or I go with the 14-16 group.

When I am in better shape and in good form I can do 18 or so average and I am good on hills. However, now is not that time. I just finished up moving and haven't really ridden regularly in over a month. So, I am more at the 14-16 range, although I did a ride with my DH at about 16.5.

Anyway, Crankin, you can e-mail me at kotoridesigns@gmail.com and we can make a plan for some time soon. I would love to tap your knowledge of the area. I know some rides to around Concord but not too much past that. When I lived in Somerville that was about a 40 mile ride, now it is under 10.

Anyway, hope to ride with you soon and get in good enough shape to ride with Bunny as well. Good luck bunny with stopping smoking. I expect once your lungs are clear that you will get even faster!

Cheers,
    Pata
    Luna Eclipse
    Fuji RC Supreme
    Fuji Touring
    Centurion Le Mans

awesome hirakukibou! I look forward to meeting you. I will be wearing ducky socks and on a Specialized Ruby. I *hope* I make it tonight to the women's ride. I may elect to ride with the slower group. It has been a long time since I did real pacelining and only got a 'refresher' at the clinic on Sunday.

Hi Bunny,
    I won't be at the Women's Ride tonight. I have other plans. I should be there next week though. If you go, have fun.

Pata
    Luna Eclipse
    Fuji RC Supreme
    Fuji Touring
    Centurion Le Mans

Hey Pata!

As you know, I am also in Bedford. I went out and did just a quick ride last night - about an hour - from the house to Concord/Carlisle and back. Kind of backwards on the women's loop.

I ride a bit faster, but know how to play well with others, and have LOTS of great loops out of town. If you are looking for something long, the Apple Pi loop (CRW) goes from the VA in town out to Harvard, and is all MARKED! Follow the upside-down pi (as in 3.14...) symbols.

Let me know if you want to head out in the evening sometime, and I can at least show you a couple of different loops.

SheFly (Cathy)
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

oooh! more loops!

I am going to have to try the Pi loop!

I felt like a bit of a jerk last night on the women's ride. I went with a 16-18mph group and I had a lot of trouble staying at their pace -- especially going uphill. :-( I might try the 18+ group sometime, but as long as it is a no-drop ride, I don't know that it would be ok. I may also have to check out more CRW stuff - since they allow dropping usually.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny_ninja View Post
    oooh! more loops!

I am going to have to try the Pi loop!

I felt like a bit of a jerk last night on the women's ride. I went with a 16-18mph group and I had a lot of trouble staying at their pace -- especially going uphill. :-( I might try the 18+ group sometime, but as long as it is a no-drop ride, I don't know that it would be ok. I may also have to check out more CRW stuff - since they allow dropping usually.
    Bunny - don't worry about the ride last night. They are meant to be for everyone, and most of the leaders and riders are pretty patient. Just be sure to be fair to yourself and other riders when you are selecting your group.

FYI - the 18+ group IS a drop ride, so you need to know where you are going on that one. They are currently trying pretty hard to set a record, and are averaging somewhere between 20 and 21 mph on that particular ride

Hope you had fun! I was recovering from fillings and couldn't drink anything, so did a short ride instead...

SheFly

Hey Cathy,
    I would love to learn some more loops from you. Let me know when you want to take an easy spin some evening and I can join you!
    Cheers,
    Pata
    Luna Eclipse
    Fuji RC Supreme
    Fuji Touring
    Centurion Le Mans

Pata --

On vacation this week, so doing A LOT of miles. Next week will be recovery, so may be a good time to do a ride. I have an NEBC BOD meeting on Monday and the TT on Weds, so either Tues or Thurs would work best.

Cathy