Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Angry Nothing to say :(

To disable ads, please log-in.

Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Nothing to say? No, this is wrong - in so many ways. We have to keep saying so! It's wrong to run somebody over. It's wrong to let someone off the hook for murder like this - and that's what it is - murder! Yes, driving is dangerous, and that should mean "if you don't take the responsibility seriously, you are a criminal and should be in jail" - not "you should've stayed where I couldn't hit you - geez, I didn't do it on purpose, it traumatized me to see all that damage - I'm a poor victim here, too." Argh!

I'm really sick of this type of thing happening. By all means, let's not go silent!

I think what she was trying to convey was that the incident was so sick that she's at a loss for words. It is a very scary thought that someone would run down a cyclist on purpose, but maybe there's more to that particular story as far as someone knowing that person and targeting them because of that and not just because they were on a bicycle, not that it changes anything.
    There are a lot of sick people and compassion-less people in this world, including the 2 young men who hit me while I was jogging 25 years ago and drove away laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by beccaB View Post
    I think what she was trying to convey was that the incident was so sick that she's at a loss for words. . . .
    I get that.

I'm especially PO'd right now because the RAAM accident happened just a 15-minute drive from my house - practically in my backyard for that event. So far, no charges against the driver, although that may change after the DA has reviewed the case. It was a stupid accident - like the rider in this thread, the RAAM cyclist should NOT have been hit!

Frankly, I'm really surprised and disappointed that there has been so little response on TE to the RAAM accident. It was a nationwide cycling event with worldwide participation. It's a real tragedy - especially for the cyclist, but also for the whole event, not just the small population of Kansas.

Yes, sometimes there just aren't any words. But we do need to keep speaking up to law enforcement and law makers or nothing's going to change.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Deborajean - I had not heard about the RAAM accident. It's not a race I follow, and it hasn't been on any of my usual news outlets. The RAAM is a pretty specialized and niche event, even among cyclists, and frankly there's only so much time that I can devote to digging up news stories. Please don't be disappointed that people don't respond to something they don't know about.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    Deborajean - I had not heard about the RAAM accident. It's not a race I follow, and it hasn't been on any of my usual news outlets. The RAAM is a pretty specialized and niche event, even among cyclists, and frankly there's only so much time that I can devote to digging up news stories. Please don't be disappointed that people don't respond to something they don't know about.
    +1. It wasn't posted in this thread or in the general threads. I didn't "dig up" this story, it was in my local news.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thanks Tulip and Oakleaf. I posted about this on the RAAM thread in the Cycling-Related discussion, which was getting a lot of views at the time.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I stopped looking at that thread before you posted because I just didn't find it very interesting. I don't think it's interesting unless you know someone in the race and/or it goes near where you live. I actually do know a support crewmember, but I still don't find it interesting. I just prefer to enjoy riding my bike to experience the world around me (and for touring trips), and not make it a torture event for proving oneself, is all. But each to her own, right?

Maybe I'm reading too much into the article, but it seems to suggest that the victims history might be important - like the teen hit him because of some drug relationship?
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

Quote Originally Posted by TsPoet View Post
    Maybe I'm reading too much into the article, but it seems to suggest that the victims history might be important - like the teen hit him because of some drug relationship?

Intent is suggested in this follow-up story.

Regardless of why it happened, it's a tragedy.

Wow, I'm surprised I didn't hear about this story before reading it here. Middletown is about 10 miles from me.
    “Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”
    - Emily Dickinson

This is very sad...and I understand there are just no words...but people have to be punished for this kind of actions...
    I am a believer in better education, how to deal with cyclists and pedestrians. Here in Texas, the drivers edu booklet has two pages...LOL NOOOO this is absolutely not enough, I don't know about the other States...
    I also think cyclists have to be educated...I see a lot of bad stuff, understand that drivers get upset...I do sometimes too

There is a course which we all can take, and if there is more interest get certified as a cycling instructor and spread the seed...I am on it...

http://www.bikeleague.org/cogs/progr...se_detail/3606

Let's get educated and educate... let's do it

I like the idea of taking that course. I checked the link for Kansas and there are three instructors and no courses - nothing in Wichita, the biggest city in Kansas. We really do have a long way to go.--

Quote Originally Posted by Deborajen View Post
    I like the idea of taking that course. I checked the link for Kansas and there are three instructors and no courses - nothing in Wichita, the biggest city in Kansas. We really do have a long way to go.--
    Yep, I went yesterday to the course. When we think we know it all... think again. Yesterday I learned something new... The course was fun and informative. My plan is to go one step further, will get the LCI certification (League of American Bicyclists Instructor). I have to wait until there is a course here in Texas, I hope soon... there is a big need for that.

Maybe write to them...I am sure there could be a solution...