Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

low blood pressure

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've always had a tendency to start blacking out when I get up from a sitting position, but recently it's almost every day and is getting a bit annoying. I've never actually fainted though I have spent plenty of time on hands and knees

My blood pressure usually measures to about 100 over 65, which I've been told is low but not extreme. I'm pretty sure my normal blood pressure is lower, cause I always get a bit psyched up about going to the doc and measuring stuff like this.

But I think the blacking out thing has more to do with how I deal with a sudden drop in blood pressure than the numbers in general, am I right? And does anyone have any handy tips on how to deal with it, apart from "don't get up quickly"?

- getting a bit bored of having to crawl around the weight room at work...
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

My BP is in about the same neighborhood as yours, and I occasionally get a "head-rush" when I sit up from lying down or stand up suddenly. It's not anything I've ever been concerned about. I have no idea whether it's related to BP.

Could blood sugar level also be a factor?
    2014 Bobbin Bramble / Brooks B67
    2008 Rodriguez Rainier Mirage / Terry Butterfly Tri Gel
    2007 Dahon Speed Pro TT / Biologic Velvet
    1998? GT Rebound / Serfas Gel

I have those same blackouts, and low blood pressure. When it's happening, put your head between your knees to keep from fainting. Your blood needs to get to your brain. This stops it pretty quickly.

I once did faint, and hit my head on a metal shelving unit on the way down, giving myself a concussion. I saw stars. I haven't fainted again since learning to put my head below my heart.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 06-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.

If it's happening that often, I'd see a doctor.

Have you tried anything OTC? Caffeine? How's your hydration?

Supposedly orthostatic hypotension gets worse with age...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

That happens to me all the time. It started happening more often a few years ago. I told my doctor and she seemed to think it was not important, since all the tests she did during my last physical were normal. I told my sister and my cousin, who are both nurses, and they said to get up more slowly.

I did some extensive googling some months back and found one or two articles that indicated a possible link to migraines, which kinda made sense for me because the frequency of the problem increased at about the same time that I cut back on the daily meds that I took to control the headaches.

However since the migraines are much less severe and less frequent than they used to be, I haven't gone for a checkup at the neurologist in a long time, so I haven't asked him about it. Also unless it gets much worse, I really don't want to spend the money on lots of tests.

For me it's most likely to happen when I've been slouching or sitting with my feet up, so I try to get up very slowly after I've been sitting that way.

I am another 100/60 gal. I see stars if I stand too fast. I also am prone to vertigo/inner ear infections, so the combo can really make life rough at times. I have just learned to never get up too fast.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I tend to low blood pressure too - I think low 90 something over 56 was the lowest I ever saw measured.... I find hydration can affect it a lot. If I make sure I'm drinking enough, and by enough I mean a lot, the head rushes are kept at a minimum. Try drinking more and getting some electrolytes with what ever liquid you are using. Thankfully I've never actually passed out or fallen but I have had my knees buckle and everything starts to go grey for a while sometimes.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I have high blood pressure and have the same problem.
    http://etherbourn.blogspot.com/

2010 Cannondale Synapse Feminine Carbon 6

Thanks ladies, I'll try to take notice if hydration plays a role. Otherwise it's just irritating, not dangerous, because it never happens when I'm up and about doing things, and since I can feel it coming I always have time to go down in a crouch, works better for me than head between my knees.

I'm just curious about things like this and the physical causes.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

I've had high blood pressure for a couple of years now and when I finally realized I needed to go on medication to control it, I was also just getting into the longer bike rides. My doctor and I tried out several medications and dosages to try to find what worked best -- this took months to work through -- and during that time, I figured out the days that I went on long bike rides, my blood pressure was much lower than on days that I didn't ride. I had to buy a digital blood pressure cuff to monitor my pressure at home every day, sometimes two or three readings a day.

Those really low days, I was having the same symptoms as you, nearly blacking out when I'd stand up. Everything would go a bit yellow and fuzzy for several seconds until it regulated itself.

My doctor told me at one point that on the days I planned a long ride, not to take my meds. That worked for a bit. We finally hit on a good dosage for me and now my blood pressure is in the same range as yours, 100/60.

There are others here who can tell you the particulars, but low blood pressure is just as dangerous as high blood pressure. At least, that's what I understood from conversations with my doctor.

I really think you should check this out with your doctor before it goes on too long to repair whatever damage might be happening.

Roxy
    Getting in touch with my inner try-athlete.

My blood pressure is normally quite low too. Last time I donated blood, the first reading was 90/48 (but we got 94/52 on the second try, high enough to donate). The lightheaded/ nearly fainting thing happens to me occasionally, but I'm almost positive it's related to hydration.

lph, I remember from a thread a while back that you use an inversion table. Are you still using it? I would think that would help.

Unfortunately the inversion table got packed away (dang, your memory's good! ) when my workplace moved to where we are now, but I'll try to find it once we move back to our antiquated office building, hopefully all redone, next spring.

I will ask my doc too, next time I see her.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    (dang, your memory's good! )
    I've been contemplating getting one ever since then.

Would you say that the blackouts are more or less frequent, or the same as when you inverted?

What is your resting pulse rate?

That could be a factor... unfortunately.

just don't overdo the increased water consumption. I'd just follow the standard formula for ounces, activity, and body composition + a liter.

You might also increase your electrolyte intake.