Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Chain Lifespan

Chain Lifespan

To disable ads, please log-in.

I think I may sort of already know the answer to this question, but I want to ask it anyway. My original chain (Ultegra I think) made it to 3,000 miles. I just had it replaced again today and the second chain only made it 1,350 miles. Does this seem reasonable?

I kind of think it makes sense, because the cogs and chainrings are undoubtedly wearing down and the second chain probably wore out faster because of this. I ride hilly terrain so I do tons of shifting and use nearly all of my gears. But I'm really good about cleaning and lubing things...I may even be a little OCD about it. So I would guess that the next time I need a new chain, I'm also going to need a new cassette and chainrings. But I hope this chain lasts at least 1,000 miles. Or do I need to start shopping for a deal on a new cassette & chainrings now?

You'll probably get 1000 miles out of the latest chain, but they do wear faster on a worn cassette. Do plan to replace your cassette the next time you change the chain, though you can try a new chain and see if it skips on your old cassette. You shouldn't need to replace the chainrings, they last much longer than a cassette, typically.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

according to this http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot....hain-care.html a properly cared for chain will last longer and if you replace the chain when it needs to be replaced the cassette can last a very long time.

I have been trying the progold chain lube he mentions but it has only been a month i clean my chain after every ride and lube it every few rides and wipe off the excess. i hope it works for me.

Chain Lifespan

I tend to change the chain at no more than 1500 miles, whcih obviously means that it gets changed quite often. The upside to this is that generally I only change the cassette every second or third time. While I spend more money on chains, it also means that money is spent less frequently on the cassettes and in the long run... I save money considering that most cassettes are more money than chains.

OK, so I think I'll start looking for a cassette...I have a family member who works for a bike manufacturer and sometimes he can get me deals on parts. I like to support my LBS as much as possible but it's nice to get discounts on parts sometimes. And I'll lube this new chain every time I ride in the hopes that it makes it past 1,000.

I guess my other option for extending the life of all these parts would be to ride less. But that's not a good option at all!!!!

IME chain life varies a lot depending on riding conditions, no matter how good care you take of them. I'm pretty sure a 30-mile day in fine Florida sand and salt air is going to take more out of a chain than a 200-mile overnighter on clean Ohio roads.

So I wouldn't ever replace a chain based on mileage. Measuring the wear is easy. One of those tools makes it even easier, but a ruler only takes a few seconds longer.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Chain lifespan

Oakleaf, you're right about terrain, care of chain etc... After reading how people here on this particular subject are taking care of their chains, that 1500 miles is based on people such as these. Now that number is a rough estimate, but it gives people the idea. Some will get more miles and some will not, but that's to be expected. Obviously if your cassette happens to have a bit more wear, then the next chain will also have a shorter life.

For my personal bikes, I have been using this formula for quite some time, and it seems to do a pretty good job. If I'm paying $50-$60 for a chain, and $300 or so for a cassette(Campy) then it's pretty easy to do the math. A good portion of my customers are doing the same thing, but as you said.. it depends on conditions and the care that someone gives that chain.

Cassette lifespan

I've ridden 14,000+ miles on my Scott bike and never have had to replace my cassette OR chainring. I ride hills here all the time (the only way out of town is over hills). I have 10 speed Ultegra components on my bike. I will say, however, that when I first got the bike in '05, I was changing out the chain every 1200-1500 miles. I was using the Shimano Ultegra 10 speed chain. Then, last year, I put on a 10 Speed Dura Ace chain (the original NOT the new version). I recently changed out that chain after about 4500 miles. Why is that??? Well, all I can say is, Dura Ace is a better chain- stronger links perhaps. Also I changed lube from ProLink to White Lightning. I generally lube my chain about every 100 miles or so. I also clean my drive train on a regular basis, including getting the gunk that collects in the chain out with a metal brush.

Your cassette shouldn't be wearing out this soon. Another friend of mine who is also an ace mechanic, hasn't changed out his cassette or chainring for 30,000 miles. He's a real stickler for clean bikes. And for keeping his bikes in tip top shape.

I took my bike into a LBS and they said I should replace my cassette (and chain). I talked to my mechanic friend, and he recommended that we first just change out the chain (which we did)and see how it shifted after that. Then one of my shifting cables broke on a ride, so we also changed them. Now my bike works perfectly. No expensive cassette repairs.

Try a Dura Ace chain and make sure that you have your cables checked at the same time (should be replaced at least every 2 yrs or more often if you ride a lot). My cables were 5 yrs old so they were definitely at the end of their lifespan!!! Get a chain measuring tool as well. LBS have them.
    Nancy