Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Am I ready?

Am I ready?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there,

I am an over 40 rider who bought a hybrid last year for some commuting & short rides (my longest on that bike was 50 miles.) I recently purchased a Fuji Sillhouette road bike and I'm training with my boyfriend for STP (Seattle to Portland) in July. This is about 100 miles per day, over two days. I'm nervous... I have a kidney transplant (almost 15 years) and my training was interrupted by a wicked case of shingles. I'm back on the bike but my training isn't what it should be... My longest ride is 60 miles, I'm really slow on the hills, I'm nervous about my ability to keep up, blah, blah, blah...Enough of the whining! Anyway, I feel pretty good on the bike but nervous about making the mileage in timely fashion. If I can do 60, can I do 100? If I can do that, can I wake up the next day and do it again?

signed,
    nervous rider

How many weeks to go until the ride?

I would suggest trying to get a ride more in the 75-80 mile range in before the event. Also, work as many long back-to-back rides into it as you can. Don't worry about climbing fast. Rather, climb smart. Pace yourself and spin in a comfortable gear if you can (rather than power over the climbs). Eat and drink enough. Stay relaxed on the bike. Take a moment to stretch at rest stops. Use chamois cream liberally.

I've done some week-long and multiday tours. After each day, my legs would feel like poo for the first 7-10 miles. Then they get warmed up and start moving again. For me, the key is to stay on top of nutrition and hydration in between and during the rides. Once you're dehydrated, it is really hard to get out of that hole.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

There's actually some good advice on the STP site: http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/stp_mileage.cfm

#2. Don’t ride as hard as you can on every training ride. This is the most common rookie mistake! Ride steady and aim to add more miles each week to go longer and longer. Start with rides you can finish feeling like you could have done a little bit more and gradually build your endurance until you can complete 75% of the mileage of your longest day at this years STP.

You've got a few weeks still, you can get there.

Re: Am I ready?

Thank you for both for the great advice & words of encouragement! I rode 50 miles Sunday, 25 miles Tuesday and plan for another 25 tonight with a spinning class Saturday. I'm really looking forward to the ride!

Thanks again,
    Zannabanana

keep riding! you can do it. The hills are no big deal on STP... it's the hours and hours in the saddle that will get you. (ouch)
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Zannabanana View Post
    Thank you for both for the great advice & words of encouragement! I rode 50 miles Sunday, 25 miles Tuesday and plan for another 25 tonight with a spinning class Saturday. I'm really looking forward to the ride!

Thanks again,
    Zannabanana
    You're welcome!

If you're pressed for time on Saturday then, by all means, spin. Otherwise, I'd recommending getting out on the road and putting some miles in. Better to ride hills than to simulate them.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Ha! Glad to hear I'm not the only one freaking out about the STP. This is my first one, too, and my concern is that I'm slower than others (10-12 mph) and struggle on hills. I have a cross-bike (is that the same as a hybrid?) that is 15+ years old, but has done the job for me (of course I don't know anything different). And I've only been training on my own, rather than doing group rides, which hopefully won't bite me in the butt.

I've been doing some strength training at the gym (and have definitely felt more sore after a long ride when I've skipped the gym for a couple weeks... so that helps). I hope to bump up to at least a couple of long rides in a row for the 4th of July weekend.

But I'm starting to get a little more excited than fearful about it, so either I'm delusional, or I'm starting to look forward to it! You are not alone, Zannabanana!