Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

20 mile bike ride

To disable ads, please log-in.

How long should a 20 mile bike ride take? It took me 1 hr 15min and there were 3 hills (2 small ones and one probably not what any experienced rider would complain about but for me i went up it going 5.5 mph). This is my second week riding and i have made it the past 2 days going 20 miles back roads with little hills and one that really hurts. My bikes says i am averaging 14.7 mph. I am just trying to see if i need to speed it up i would like join a bike group but want to be sure i can keep up first. Thanks

Wow! Only your second week of riding and you're 1) already doing 20 miles; and 2) averaging almost 15 mph? You're doing awesome! Most of the groups I ride with average somewhere between 12-18 mph, which you're doing already. Unless you're wanting to ride with "the bog dogs", you'll do just fine on most recreational and intermediate rides.
    And in another 2 weeks, you may be ready to race!
    Jenn K
    Centennial, CO
    Love my Fuji!

Depends on the ride.
    Hills?
    Photos?
    Ice cream?
    It could take me all day and I'd be happy.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Well that makes me feel better hearing that.I also want to mention i didn't just start biking with having done no exercising before. I used to workout 5 times a week 1 hour on elliptical and cycling classes (when i could). I just knew evertime i went into a cycling class i wanted a road bike and wanted to ride. So finally for my 39th b-day my husband bought me one and i love it! Except the seat.

It sounds like you're doing just great, although I'd emphasize that their is no wrong or right speed. As for joining a group ride, it really depends on the group and what kind of ride it is. Some are fast training rides where the group rides in a tight "paceline." That's probably not quite what you're looking for at this point. Other groups take a slightly more relaxed pace and ride as a group, but not necessarily in a paceline. Others are strictly social. I'd also note that some groups have a "no-drop" policy, while others expect you to fend for yourself. My local club, along with some area bike shops, offers a bunch of different types of group rides. There's something for everyone.

Do you have a local club? I'd find them on the Web if you can and see what information is available.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by przc View Post
    Except the seat.
    That can ruin your whole ride and then some. Do a search on saddles for all sorts of discussions on getting a comfy ride (could be saddle, could be position, could be posture, could be bike fit, could be any combo thereof).