Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: SPF Clothing

SPF Clothing

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wanted to start a thread on good recommendations around SPF clothing. My problem is that I heat up very quickly and need SPF clothing that will breathe really well and keep me comfortable.

So suggest away! Thanks!
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

As I have written several times on here, I really like the De Soto Cool Wings (like a Bolero) that TE carries. They cover arms with a sleeveless jersey, and I find that they aren't any hotter than going without. In really hot/humid weather, I'm not sure they're cooler - but they aren't hotter.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    for cycling or not?
    For non-cycling I have an Ex-Officio long sleeve white UPF 50 shirt that I got for our Grand Canyon trip (got on clearance at REI for $16). I wore that thing all day long in hot, scorching sun and never once got any color on my arms (what I was hoping for- and I didn't wear sunscreen underneath the shirt). I get overheated *really* quickly, but never got overly hot in this shirt. I got it a size too big so it was loose and flowy on me and it performed flawlessly. I would buy another again in a heartbeat!

For cycling I like the cool wings, too. I have, however, gotten a slight sunburn while wearing them. When I wear them now, I put sunscreen on underneath and don't have a problem. I get somewhat hot wearing them, tho- mostly because they are skin-tight and touch my arms, making me hotter. I live in very hot/humid weather tho. To keep them from being too hot and bothersome, I wet them down. In summer, I'd rather go without them because for me I think it's cooler without them. That might be just me, tho.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I agree with the others' assessment of cool wings. I don't think they make me any cooler, but they don't make me hotter. I need to have something on my arms in the summer here in Texas and these fit the bill.
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

I love my Kokatat kayaking shirt. It's vented like crazy, and I'm actually cooler wearing it than not. It seems to scoop air as I move. Flaps a bit on the bike, but I don't burn and I don't wear sunscreen under it.

http://kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=wdsh I think I bought mine at a kayaking shop, but I've seen Kokatat stuff at REI as well.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

i have a coolibar jacket that has a lot of ventilation is very thin fabric and i think the upf is 50 i also have a coolibar long sleeve jersey i wear in the upper 80's it rarely gets hotter than that here so have not tried hotter. both are comfortable enough in the upper 80's that i keep them on and i don't get any color on when i wear them.

i would like to see a upf rating for the cool wings the team estrogen web page recommends wearing sunscreen underneath them.

on very sunny days i wear sunscreen under whatever i have on regardless of upf rating

LOVE my Moeben sleeves. DH had a melanoma removed a few months back. We are now arm sleeve devotees. On a recent hot day he wore his and squirted them with water every so often. He said they felt really refreshing as the water evaporated.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

I guess I'm the only person who actually thinks the cool wings make me cooler. I can feel the difference when there's a breeze or while in the shade. In the sun while not moving/with no breeze, there's no difference because they work by increasing sweat evaporation. When I'm done riding, I will be soaked with sweat but my arms will be dry.

I wear sunscreen underneath them. I've noticed the one I bought last year is slightly yellowed from the sunscreen, probably because I only do laundry once a week so they sat too long before being washed. So I'm going to start hand washing them right away after wearing -- they fold up so small that I can soak them in a tupperware container.

BTW I haven't worn any of these, but I see that Canari and Saucony have SPF tops available at Team Estrogen. Has anyone tried them out?
    Last edited by ny biker; 06-15-2010 at 10:56 AM.

www.boure.com -- awesome UPF/SPF cycling jerseys
    www.solumbra.com -- all kinds of sun protective clothing

REI used to carry the MTS lightweight long underwear shirt, but I can't find it anymore! These are good for running or layering underneath a short-sleeve cycling jersey (no pockets and not as tightly cut as a cyling jersey, so I don't prefer to wear them on their own for cycling). The new ones are no longer UPF/SPF rated and the fabric and cut are different (don't like them!).

www.cw-x.com
    CW-X used to carry a lightweight UPF/SPF running tight (I use them for running as well with my cycling shorts on the bike). I stocked up through Zappos when they were discontinued. They still carry the cool/cold weather tights with UPF/SPF though. Love 'em!
    P.S. Looks like they have a new "Ventilator" tight for warm weather. Has the same UPF/SPF 40 as the other tights.

My dermatologist recommended the Solumbra clothes to me last year. She said she wears them all the time.

I have Coolwings - like them ok, pretty delicate. This year tried the Velowear "Solskins". They are heavier than the De Soto arm and leg covers, and very compressive too. I love the Sol skins for the legs, like a sunscreen legcover and compression garment in one. The arms are ok, pretty snug on the elastic at the top on the smalls, something to get used to. They are on sale now too, think I will order another pair of legs. I sort of like long-sleeved lightweight jerseys better than arm covers. Tokie. Link to Sol Skins leg covers here - http://www.velowear.com/products/1240231WHTXSM.aspx

The Moeben sleeves are really cool, but I guess I don't understand the concept of just covering your arms? The dermatologist said that certainly the face, neck, shoulders and arms are the more prone areas for skin cancers...I suppose the arm sleeves are better than nothing...
    Lisa

Bacchetta Ti Aero
    ICE B1
    Bacchetta Cafe Mountain Bent

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    The Moeben sleeves are really cool, but I guess I don't understand the concept of just covering your arms? The dermatologist said that certainly the face, neck, shoulders and arms are the more prone areas for skin cancers...I suppose the arm sleeves are better than nothing...
    Well...the coolwings cover your shoulders and arms. I usually sunscreen my neck well. I wear sunglasses and a helmet with a visor (plus sunscreen) to cover my face. Ears get sunscreen and some shade from the helmet. I think the armsleeves are usually worn with a short sleeved jersey - effectively turning it into a long sleeved jersey. What were you hoping to find out on these other areas?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by itself View Post
    I use a SPF fabric buff on the head. I wear it like a stocking cap so it flows down and covers the back of my neck. I also pull it over my ears most of the time.

The visor helps the face, but short of going Lawerence of Arabia wrapping (and I saw a guy who cut down a hat with floppy sides to get something similar)....

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberry View Post
    I think the armsleeves are usually worn with a short sleeved jersey - effectively turning it into a long sleeved jersey.

That...but mostly because I don't want loose long-sleeves over my arms and don't want compression fit on my torso. Arm sleeves allow UV protection and compression without forcing me to wear a long-sleeve compression top.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2