Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Tri Bikes / TT Bikes

To disable ads, please log-in.

O.k...I'm not a triathlete...but I just bought a TT bike last fall.

I've only ridden the bike about 6 times..but I'm having a hard time staying longer than 10 minutes in the aero position. I would like to compete in a TT in July (12 miles)...but not sure I'm going to do it because of being so uncomfortable in that position.

Does anyone have any hints on how I can get used to staying in the aero position longer?

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I guess first and most importantly: did you get a professional fitting? If not- get one. If so, then it's just a matter of getting used to the aggressive position.
    What is so uncomfortable? Neck? Hips? Back?

Every spring I need to re-teach my neck to be comfortable in aero position. It's a slow process (for me), but eventually those neck muscles get strong and it's easier to be down in aero. It's a very different position, so give yourself some time to adjust.
    When I first got my tri bike, it fit like a glove and it was love at first ride. My body LOVES that position (with the exception of my neck, who learns to love it).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Tri Girl is right - fitting makes a huge difference to riding aero.

These exercises do hit the exact muscles: http://www.active.com/triathlon/Arti...o-Position.htm. Even doing them a few times helped me strengthen the muscles a little bit, to give them muscle memory that they needed to fire and hold a little better aero.

Another thing, be sure to relax your arms/hands and not hold a "tense" position. Just like in road riding, it's not helpful if your entire upper body is "hard" as you ride.

For me, the start of season muscle work starts in the lower back and moves up the middle/upper back and into my neck as I pack on the miles, exactly the spots those exercises hit. You might try doing those as a part of your strength training, then doing your 10 minutes aero repeatedly with non-aero time interspersed - sort of like learning to run and starting out walking, then run/walking, then running the whole way.

I'll check these excercises out. Also, I may look in to a professional fitting.

Right now my primary problem is my shoulders and my neck when looking up at the road. My upper arms were also starting to get uncomfortable. But nothing with my hips.