Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Nail Issue

Nail Issue

To disable ads, please log-in.

I hate to admit say it, but I've been struck by the green monster. My pinky toes are clearly under the influence of a nail infection---I'll spare you a description. Chalk it up to my Vibrams (sweaty feet//no ventilation in the shoes) and not drying my feet off good enough after swimming. I'm very careful at the pool and wear flipflops in the shower, locker room, on the deck, etc.

I've been using tea tree oil on them, but I'm just kidding myself. It's time to see a doctor.

My question is what doctor should I see? Dermatologist or podiatrist? Or my GP?

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly

I should think any could easily identify most nail fungi, so I'd go with whatever's cheapest (don't know if you need referrals to see someone besides GP).

Mine came down to the option of removing the toenails to see if they grow back without fungus - nothing worked. I decided to just leave them and now just keep them painted ALWAYS.

when i saw my gp he told me the only options were to take those pills that possibly cause liver damage, and you still have to grow it out, or, he could have a pharmacist whip up a compound that i can apply to the nail. he said some people saw good results with that, but, at the time the fungus was but a wee spot on my nail. now, it has gotten bigger, i am tempted to try the compound. it's $60 though, so, i don't know if it would be worth it. painting your nails if you have a fungus is not a good idea though, it will never grow off if the nail bed can not breathe. i have had them before and it takes about a year to grow them off. i know some people have cronic nail fungi though. i hate them!!! i want vibrams too, i wonder if i wear them with the socks if that would help? maybe a bandaid over the infected toe? i think you can re-contaminate the nail if you don't keep it wrapped up. like, if you wear the same shoes and no socks or anything..... sorry for rambling....

Not sure about Selkie, but I've had this stuff off and on for probably 20 years. That's why I've given up and just keep 'em painted. I used the polish medicine a few times and it would go away but just come back later. It's on my big toenails, too, so it's really disgusting to leave the fungus visible and wear sandals to let my feet breathe.

Selkie, if it's on your pinkie toes (I missed that before) it might be worth it to just wait and grow it off. Don't know how big your pinkie toenails are but that probably wouldn't take very long!

My doctor suggested Vicks Vapor Rub used daily. Apparently, there is some research to suggest that it inhibits fungal growth by creating a less hospitable environment. I have had success with a combination of removing as much of the nail as possible and applying the ointment daily.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"~John F. Kennedy

Sometimes trauma to the nail bed of a toe can cause the nail to grow out looking for all the world like it has fungus.

Could it be that the VFF's have wolloped your pinky toe nail beds and caused the nails to grow goofy?

Is it only on the pinky toes? On both sides?

It might be a good idea to check in with a podiatrist before treating yourself for fungus, just in case you don't actually have fungus.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Sometimes trauma to the nail bed of a toe can cause the nail to grow out looking for all the world like it has fungus.

Could it be that the VFF's have wolloped your pinky toe nail beds and caused the nails to grow goofy?

Is it only on the pinky toes? On both sides?

It might be a good idea to check in with a podiatrist before treating yourself for fungus, just in case you don't actually have fungus.
    It could be that the VFFs have damaged the pinky toe beds. I have Irish feet---pinky toes are facing the sides, not the tops, of my feet. Both pinky toes are bad but the left one has it worse.

It looks like a fungal infection. Doesn't appear to have spread to the other nails (yet).

I'll make an appt w/a doctor.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Luna Eclipse//Terry B'fly
    Luna Orbit//Sella Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    Bianchi Eros Donna//Terry Falcon
    Seven Alaris//Jett 143
    Terry Isis (Titanium)//Terry B'fly